LaunchBox Community Forums

Translating LaunchBox

Jason Carr

CliveBarker said @Jason Carr Los archivos ROM ahora pueden ser borrados cuando eliminas juegos de LaunchBox La información de la Región es ahora obtenida desde los nombres de los archivos ROM Big Box ahora tiene una opción para omitir la pantalla de detalles del juego Jason there is a strange issue I have noticed since I started translating. For some reason the string $this.AccessibleName LaunchBox Main Window located at the MainForm never gets translated or saved. I have translated that since the beggining but it keeps deleting the translation. Like if I translate it and save the changes, and proceed to close the MainForm and re-open it, the translation is completely gone. Never told you about this because it isn't very relevant but I would like to know the reason. @dukeemu I just checked my translations and I want to tell you that I used a "life hack" to solve the context issue with "Toggle". I had problems as well with that word in Spanish so I used this: "Activar/Desactivar". I think this perfectly fits the purpose of "Toggle" in my language and I haven't received any complains about that. I hope that helps you. Also there are a lot of English programming terms that haven't been adopted by many other languages so when I encounter this issue with Spanish I just use the original English word.
I don't want to take any credit but... it was my idea to use "Attivare" in italian because italian is very close to my native language (spanish) so I can see where you took the inspiration from Clive :P Also I think this phrase is incorrect and should be reworked: "La información de la Región es ahora obtenida desde los nombres de los archivos ROM" should be "La información de la Región ahora se obtiene (directamente) desde los nombres de los archivos ROM" It's a common mistake when translating verb times from english to spanish

Jason Carr I'll send you the file in a few days, probably in the weekend. Just to finish the revision and to adjust some errors, in fact... Thank you @CliveBarker & @Supreme: after searching some technical forum and many dictionaries (real and virtual), the only elegant and functional solution will be Attivare (without Disattivare because is implicit): it sounds as the best option for Toggle in translation and meaning. So I hope to see Italian soon in LaunchBox! Smile

Thanks @CliveBarker. I have the Spanish translation pieces updated for the next beta. Unfortunately I did have to sneak in a few additional strings into the Strings.resx file recently for the Big Box options reorganization. It's up to you whether you want to tackle those as well before 6.4; my apologies for that (if you do though you'll need to wait until the next beta goes out later today). 6.4 is taking a bit longer than I expected because of some annoying bugs that I'm trying to resolve. Sounds good @dukeemu. :)

Alright, new beta is out. @Opaklopper, I fixed the issues with the Options pages; those issues were caused by translation mismatches between the Strings file and the OptionsForm file. I can't remember if there's anything else I'm missing, so forgive me if I'm still missing a fix or two. The only other issue I'm seeing with the German translation is all the window titles. I made a few miracle fixes in this latest beta so I'm currently hoping we can put out the official release over the weekend. Hoping to get translation updates from @Wattoo and @AFaustini yet. Thanks guys.

Hey @Jason, i don't know how this could happen. I just opened all .resx files with Zeta Resource Editor, filled out the german column and saved it. Sorry if i caused problems. I don't know what to change now, to be honest. If i open OptionsForm.de-DE.resx and OptionsForm.resx all seems to be correct.

No worries @Opaklopper, I'm definitely not trying to blame for anything here. Sorry if I came across like that; was not my intention. The OptionsForm stuff should be good to go. The only issues that remain as far as I know is just the fact that the window titles are all set to Wilkommen. I remember when Clive was working on the original Spanish translation we discovered that if you open up all of the files at once, it causes some conflicting issues. So I'm guessing maybe that's what happened with the window titles? Unfortunately we learned that you have to open up each set of files individually in order to prevent stuff like that from happening. I should probably put a warning about this in the instructions at the beginning of the thread (I'll do that). So this is probably going to be a pain in the rear, and it's up to you whether you want to just put it out as-is or do the window title fixes, but I think what you would need to do in order to fix the window titles is to open up each set of files individually and change the "$this.Text" translation to be the correct value for that window.

@Jason Wow, the files are completely messed if i open them file by file. I can't let you release them as they are now :D I will completely redo them on the weekend. Sorry again for all the unnecessary work you have spend on that. @Wattoo Yea "Scrape as" is not translatable to german as well.

Okay, I'm sorry for all the trouble there @Opaklopper. Thanks for sticking with it. Do make sure to use the files from the existing package though, of course (don't go back to an old copy of the files). That way it should keep the visual changes I made to fix all the forms.

Opaklopper said @Jason Wow, the files are completely messed if i open them file by file. I can't let you release them as they are now :D I will completely redo them on the weekend. Sorry again for all the unnecessary work you have spend on that. @Wattoo Yea "Scrape as" is not translatable to german as well.
I had the exact same problem when I first translated. I used to open them all at the same time. Wish you luck man. Also had problems translating Scrape as, our languages really need to get updated to adopt some programming and computational terms.

I have another question, "$this.Text" in the OptionsForm is empty. It's also yellow marked in Zeta. Should i name it "options" in english or leave it blank? EDIT: btw. there is another word that gave me headache. Automation. I ended up calling it "Hotkey" in german, cause if you translate it nobody would get what is meant. EDIT2: I just filled it out ($this.Text) to complete the files now. I had to delete a huge amount of data. The files are now 50% smaller than the latest version and 75% (!) than the last edit i made. So i hope i did nothing wrong again and everything does fine. Sorry again for the trouble i caused. And for any further translators. NEVER EVER open all files in Zeta Editor. This will save you and @Jason a ton of work...