LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator Settings for All Platforms

Jason Carr

Sorry, maybe it s not the place to ask. I mean, now I can launch model  2 games fine with LB. But tried other launchers, like the ones compatibles with kodi, and still no luck with model 2.

I just want to have my files/emulators/scripts as compatible as possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

one more...with Mame 0.180, and importing only originals, should 2,763 ROUGHLY be the amount of games or is that too little?  I know it depends on what filters were used, I think I used very few filters...

Note: I have the entire rom set (split)

I'm concerned that by not doing clones to avoid duplicate hell, I've lost lots of actual individual games...is that the case?

Thanks.

Edited by cleverest

If you are using the MAME roms and not the software list roms then the chd files should only weigh in it around 300gb. Make sure you're picking the correct chd collection 

The software list chd's are 1.8tb

Software list = consoles, neo geo, nes, megadrive, etc etc this is the old MESS roms that are now part of MAME but they are separate from the arcade games 

I keep see people mention the files sizes and I've seen a few people give the incorrect numbers so I'm doing a little list this is straight from PD which I'm sure is where many people get these but there latest has the sizes at

1. MAME 0.181 roms split =56.573GB
  2. MAME 0.181 software list roms split = 54.032GB
  3. MAME 0.181 software list roms merged =31.989GB
  4. MAME 0.181 roms merged =35.922GB *If you have any desire to use any of the clones or something other than the main ROM then it is not recommended to get the merged set
  5. MAME 0.181 CHDs merged =430.059GB
  6. MAME 0.180 (0.181) Software List CHDs merged =1.845 TB * I have no clue why this one has both .180 and .181 in the title but that is how they have it listed. While this seems huge when you get it you have the option to decide which platforms you want to download so you can use the software chd's without having to take up almost 2TB of data if you know specifically what you want
Edited by DOS76

4 hours ago, locvez said:

If you are using the MAME roms and not the software list roms then the chd files should only weigh in it around 300gb. Make sure you're picking the correct chd collection 

The software list chd's are 1.8tb

Software list = consoles, neo geo, nes, megadrive, etc etc this is the old MESS roms that are now part of MAME but they are separate from the arcade games 

Ahhh that explains why I was seeing nearly 2TB for CHDS...lol, thanks!

3 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I keep see people mention the files sizes and I've seen a few people give the incorrect numbers so I'm doing a little list this is straight from PD which I'm sure is where many people get these but there latest has the sizes at

1. MAME 0.181 roms split =56.573GB
  2. MAME 0.181 software list roms split = 54.032GB
  3. MAME 0.181 software list roms merged =31.989GB
  4. MAME 0.181 roms merged =35.922GB *If you have any desire to use any of the clones or something other than the main ROM then it is not recommended to get the merged set
  5. MAME 0.181 CHDs merged =430.059GB
  6. MAME 0.180 (0.181) Software List CHDs merged =1.845 TB * I have no clue why this one has both .180 and .181 in the title but that is how they have it listed. While this seems huge when you get it you have the option to decide which platforms you want to download so you can use the software chd's without having to take up almost 2TB of data if you know specifically what you want

I have the  MAME 0.180 roms split - it's 50 something GB, so that seems correct....I just need to get the CHD'S I need, thanks guys!

Why most emulators a nightmare to setup ?

Please can LB provide a tree structure to organise files folders and roms.

I also dont know how to exactly use associated platforms tab ( no help explaining feature). Couldnt I just point to all the folders ?

I try keep ROM path seperate from emulator sub folders

My current emulation structure is :

C64

D:\Emulation\C64\APP\hoxs64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-D64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-G64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-T64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-TAP

I can add each seperately, would be good if I could set one line eg :

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ ROM-D64|*.D64|ROM-G64|*.G64|ROM-T64|*.T64|ROM-TAP|*.TAP

Most emulators are not a nightmare to setup at all.

The associated platforms tab is for assigning different platforms to an emulator and command line parameters for those platforms, not for rom paths. Rom paths, if they are necessary are set in the emulator itself.

I highly recommend checking out Brads tutorial videos on the youtube channel and starting with an easier system to emulate.

10 minutes ago, asymetrix said:

Why most emulators a nightmare to setup ?

Please can LB provide a tree structure to organise files folders and roms.

I also dont know how to exactly use associated platforms tab ( no help explaining feature). Couldnt I just point to all the folders ?

I try keep ROM path seperate from emulator sub folders

My current emulation structure is :

C64

D:\Emulation\C64\APP\hoxs64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-D64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-G64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-T64

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ROM-TAP

I can add each seperately, would be good if I could set one line eg :

D:\Emulation\C64\ROM\ ROM-D64|*.D64|ROM-G64|*.G64|ROM-T64|*.T64|ROM-TAP|*.TAP

The associated platform tab just needs to be directed to whatever platform you want to associate the emulator with (in your case "Commodore 64" or however you have it named in your library). You don't need all that. It just needs whatever you named the platform in your library, and whether or not you want to set that as the default emulator for that platform. Hoxs64 (or my preferred C64 emulator - CCS64) doesn't require any special command line parameters.

C64 Associated Platform.png

I was trying to setup retroarch and got lost in the configs. I would rather auto dowload a config for me.. anyways deleted that.

It is more clear now. Thanks. I had to change to CCS64 as I was finding it hard to quit in hoxs64.

Now I dont know if I need to do a recheck of ROMS/Images. OK selected to recheck roms... Do I need to reconfigure CCS64 alone with 360 controller and/or  via LB ? is anything auto detected / configured ?

Edited by asymetrix
detail added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, asymetrix said:

Do I need to reconfigure CCS64 alone with 360 controller and/or  via LB ? is anything auto detected / configured ?

Those kind of emulator-specific settings have to be set within the emulator itself. The same is true for Retroarch or basically anything else. Generally speaking, LB is essentially just directing a specific file (rom) to a specific application (emulator) and possibly injecting some launch commands into the command line - not at all unlike a shortcut in Windows. Any kind of configuration - controls, shaders, etc. - has to be done within the individual emulator. DOSBox is the only emulator that LB hooks into directly for config editing.

Regarding CCS64 specifically, a 360 controller should work out of the box without any configuration. Just keep in mind that you may need to switch the joystick port from game to game - you can press Alt + F10 to switch them.

• Like 1

Sorry for the bit of a side question...but what is the best way to GLOBALLY set up RetroArch with SAVE STATES for all emulators?....I want them to default to F5 for save and F9 for load (as long as those don't conflict with a particular one) and it's possible to do so...

Thanks!

• Like 1