LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox User Created Theme Mega-Thread! [Share your custom made themes]

shadowblind said I'd pitch in to that. I don't mind paying for the themes--work is work, and this Mr. Baker has done some wonderful work--but I have no interest in Hyperspin itself anymore. Only its themes as they apply to Bigbox. $50 seems steep to pay just for some fancy video intros by themselves. Out of the ten listed benefits of being a Platinum member, I'd be using 1 of them.
Yah that's why I was thinking a couple of us together it wouldn't be that much.

CriticalCid said I understand that you don’t want to pay that much for some videos but I don’t think that Jason would like it if you publicly discuss things like account sharing or sharing paywall stuff here in the forum.
More me complaining than anything, but you're right. Oh well, maybe someday someone will make some crazy cool XAML themes for Bigbox that look similar. I can be patient.

• Jason Carr unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 8:23 PM, Jason Carr said:

Very cool @shadowblind. That looks awesome. Have you teamed up with @CriticalCid at all? We've been talking about making it easier to add custom videos in addition to the normal gameplay videos to use for the Hyperspin-recorded themes here: 

Have we been cleared to record the Hyperspin themes after all? I remember there was some kerfuffle over that. I've been recording some myself for personal use, but I'd love to share them. Won't be the cinematic themes but the regular ones, but still themes.

Edited by shadowblind

On 8/18/2016 at 9:03 PM, CriticalCid said:

There’s unfortunately no way to share the themes outside of the HyperSpin platinum section without stepping on the toes of the HyperSpin officals.

The platinum section? Really? I thought it was just that they needed to be shared on their forums. Are they paying their users for the themes they make Hyperspin? If so I can understand that logic. 

Sorry I phrased that wrong. I meant that there’s no way to share them easily outside of platinum. I’ve recorded over 2100 themes so far and I’m sure that nobody would want to download them all one by one and I don't want to encourage anyone to spent 50$ for something I've created with the intention to be free.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2016 at 9:34 PM, CriticalCid said:

Sorry I phrased that wrong. I meant that there’s no way to share them easily outside of platinum. I’ve recorded over 2100 themes so far and I’m sure that nobody would want to download them all one by one and I don't want to encourage anyone to spent 50$ for something I've created with the intention to be free.

You can't upload them through the normal downloads section? I wouldn't mind picking and choosing themes myself. I limit each system to 100 games after all. Not sure if others feel the same. But I still understand your point. I'm willing to upload the ones I've got, but not if someone has to pay for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadowblind said:

The platinum section? Really? I thought it was just that they needed to be shared on their forums. Are they paying their users for the themes they make Hyperspin? If so I can understand that logic. 

I believe the media creator are not paid. In all my time there, I don't remember hearing anyone making money there for their work. The only exception maybe James Baker (Hyperspin Cinematic themes). Not too long ago he was going to move his themes to Emumovies and was going to charge $10-12. Current Emumovies lifetime members would get a discount of like $2 (so like$8 to get his themes) which is ridiculous. This royally pissed off a few ppl in the community and it changed that his work would only be in the HS platinum section instead.

To me, 10 or 12 bucks is completely reasonable. Work is work, if someone wanted to get paid for it, let them. You're under no obligation to purchase if you don't like it. (Is what I would have said if I had been in that discussion . . .)

I spoke with him briefly, he doesn't make anything off his themes despite them being behind a paywall. Which IMO is Activision-level worker manipulation. It pisses me off just thinking about it. This kind of pro-bono "do it free for the community while I make money off you" crap is rampant in the graphic design industry and as a collective we're trying to reject it. It isn't fair to the artists and it cheapens their work. Same for Mr. Baker's incredible work.

In my opinion, of course. For putting up with it, I have huge respect for the guy. Not so much the people who run Hyperspin. Donated to their platinum section before I knew the dude wouldn't see a dime . . .

Edited by shadowblind
  • Like 1

No one over at Hyperspin gets paid for the work they do. I know this. I never got a single penny. All the work posted there is done for free. Heck, a lot of it ends up over at Emumovies anyway. Having said that, a lot of the guys might not like their work ending up elsewhere.

Either way I don't care for themes, that is why I moved to Launchbox.

Edited by Styphelus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Styphelus said:

No one over at Hyperspin gets paid for the work they do. I know this. I never got a single penny. All the work posted there is done for free. Heck, a of of it ends up over at Emumovies anyway. Having said that, a lot of the guys might not like their work ending up elsewhere.

Either way I don't care for themes, that is why I moved to Launchbox.

That also sounds reasonable to me, considering I can download those themes for free. It's when you put free labor behind a paywall that things get messy.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

yeah that hasn't been updated since it came out and probably doesn't work

i actually managed to get it to work :D !! now im just trying to figure out a way to make a full blown theme out of it  ^_^... its going to be an extremely long night for me (especially since im a noob) lol