LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Another beta is out. I trust everything is working properly with VLC since I haven't heard back? :)

This beta mainly just has the work from the live stream this morning, including looping the CoverFlow views, fixing the voice recognition and synthesis to work on non-US Windows (hopefully), and lining up the WMP and VLC videos to show up in the same spot vertically. Both WMP and VLC should now show up centered vertically in the XAML video area (which of course matters a lot for custom themes that use a TV image, for example).

Thanks guys; looking to put out the official version either tomorrow or Friday. :)

• Like 4

@Jason Carr just downloaded the latest beta and gave it a twirl all seems to be aligned good thanks will let you know if i see any issues with the alignment over the next few days Kudos.

On a lighter note these are three phrases i think you should include in listening mode in the voice regognition all from old Star Trek

Ach   she cannae take much more of it captain  If I give her any more she'll blow.  From Scotty

This question is illogical.  From Mr Spock

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a magician!  From Bones Dr McCoy.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I been testing the VLC engine a lot and I do believe the issues with random landing on a game and no video issue has been fixed as I have not seen it at all. Although I am still seeing the audio playing over other audio at times when exiting out of the game menu into the platform menu or vice versa. The only other issue I am seeing with the VLC engine is with the CleanBG theme on hearing audio but not seeing video in random 16:9 ratio games in the the games wheel and text list views. So I guess something in the newest betas with the vlc fixes must have broken something in his theme so I guess that is not your issue since that does not happen in the default views. The strange thing is, with WMP chosen it does not happen with the CleanBG theme.

VLC is almost there with it being the default in BigBox and has improved a lot especially since it can natively play the webm videos without any additional plugins installed.:)

• Like 1

Hey @Jason Carr. I just can't get speech recognition to work at all. I have tried using the speech recognition on my new computer as I thought my old computer was the issue but it's the same.

• Loading takes a lot longer - it's stuck on "Initialising voice recognition" for a good 10 seconds.
  • Nothing I say in LB or BB is recognised. The standard Microsoft Speech recognition works fine for controlling the PC so it's not that which is the issue. I've even tried moving the slider for recognition all the way to the right and still nothing.
  • When I switch Debug mode on I don't even see a box like I've seen on your system in streams.
  • Every time I change a setting in the voice dialogue it takes forever to save to the point when Windows thinks LaunchBox is not responding.
  • This happens regardless of whether I state that I'm using a "Speech Language" of "English (United States)" or "English (United Kingdom)"
  • For Speech Synthesis I only see Zira and David as voices, even though David isn't on my voice list and others are (see below)

Capture.PNG

Very happy to work with you on fixing this. Feel free to email me privately if easier and I have TeamViewer installed if you ever want to take control!

• Like 1

Thank you guys. New beta is out that fixes the following:

- Fixed: Custom theme errors in Big Box were not properly reverting back to the default theme

- Fixed: Using folder names for imports with a period in the folder name was causing naming issues

- Fixed: Viewing videos fullscreen in Big Box was always using the Windows Media Player engine even if VLC was selected

- Fixed: The System and Options views in Big Box were not properly refreshing after changing themes

- Fixed: Several issues with the LaunchBox zip package exporter were introduced in recent versions

@kmoney and @martinconroy, I'm off to take a look at those issues next. :)

I don´t know where is the problem, maybe it´s a Database problem, but Launchbox can´t find Neo Geo Games with "/", When I Import Roms to SNK Neogeo, it can´t find nothing for games like "Aggressors of Dark Kombat / Tsuukai GANGAN Koushinkyoku", In Launchbox Games Database, the name of the game is only "Aggressors of Dark Kombat", I don´t know why aodk.zip rom name in Launchbox Is "Aggressors of Dark Kombat / Tsuukai GANGAN Koushinkyoku".

Edited by kyoken

And another new beta is out. @martinconroy I've made some tweaks in this beta that I'm hoping *might* fix your issue. I noticed some conflicts between UK English and US English when initializing the recognition so I'm hoping that this will finally fix the issue. The UK English voices should now show up in the list as well. Let me know how this one fares. Note that it's normal for loading times to be increased (in some cases significantly) when voice recognition is enabled; I plan to do more optimizations for it at some point in the future.

@kmoney I've put in some additional safety checks to hopefully prevent any more cases of VLC overplaying audio. Any testing you can do before the release tomorrow would be much appreciated. Thank you very, very much for your continued VLC testing in fixing all of these issues. It really helps. :)

@kyoken I just saw this so unfortunately I didn't check on it for this beta. Hopefully I can look into it before the release tomorrow. Thanks all! :)

• Like 2

@Jason Carr I just gave the VLC engine about a 15 to 20 min test in the new beta going into the games view and then back out and scrolling through the games and platforms and I was able to reproduce the overlapping video about 2 or 3 times but honestly I was going in and out of the menus like a madman which I would normally would not do during regular use. One thing that really stands out as a difference between the VLC and the WMP players is as follows:

WMP: Entering the games list from the platform list while a platform video is playing and then backing out back into the platform list the platform video starts back over from the beginning which is normal

VLC: Entering the games list from the platform list while a platform video is playing the platform video actually pauses and when you exit back out into the platform videos instead of the video starting back over it resumes where it left off before you entered into the games menu.

Also on another note, you must have fixed something in the last 2 betas because the videos are working normal now with the CleanBG theme with the vlc engine selected:)

• Like 1

still some issues with the  Download Metadata and Images.. process still does not behave correct

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1355/image-downloading#comment-29670883

here is one issue with it, i recorded it because maybe my explanation sucks 

as you can see the option   "Yes, but do not replace any exising fields"  does not work correct for example if one of the selected games has that image type and others don't  well it will not even try downloading the images for the games that don't have them.

In this example video its the clear logo you can see it won't get downloaded unless  i have only selected the games that don't have that image already.

Thanks

Edited by emko
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr I just fired up BigBox again to see which views I was on to report back here and gave the videos another test run with vlc for another 15 to 20 mins and honestly I could not produce the double audio again. I was trying just as hard as before going into games view and back out to platforms like a raging animal again and could not make it happen. computerrage_40_anim_gif.gif I had nothing different in my setup as before so I am puzzled but I am glad and happy to see. VLC has come a long way and I think it is ready for primetime and maybe even the default since it supports steam webm videos!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

And another new beta is out. @martinconroy I've made some tweaks in this beta that I'm hoping *might* fix your issue. I noticed some conflicts between UK English and US English when initializing the recognition so I'm hoping that this will finally fix the issue. The UK English voices should now show up in the list as well. Let me know how this one fares. Note that it's normal for loading times to be increased (in some cases significantly) when voice recognition is enabled; I plan to do more optimizations for it at some point in the future.

Thanks @Jason Carr. Sorry, but no change. Beta 27 still only shows "Zira" and "David" for Speech synthesis when I don't even have "David". My list shows Susan, Zira, Mark and George.

Maybe the best thing to do would be for me to set up as if it were a US system, check if that works, and then worry about the UK? If so, what do I need to change in my system settings? Speech Language? Languages?

Current settings as per below:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Thanks for that report @emko. I'm going to hold off on that until after the 6.9 release but I'll look into that stuff soon. It does seem pretty weird; I'm wondering if it has anything to do with EmuMovies vs. the LaunchBox Games Database?

Thank you so much once again for all that testing @kmoney. I think we'll call the VLC stuff good for the 6.9 release. I'll hold off on making it the default until the next release just in case we run into some additional issues after the full release, but sounds like we can make it the default very soon. :)

@martinconroy Bah. One thing that confuses me is why on earth your voices would be showing "Mobile" on a desktop version of Windows. What type of device are you using? Is it a tablet? A laptop? I also don't understand why the Microsoft libraries are giving me completely different results than what is in your list; I'm pretty baffled at this point. I want to put out the official release today so we might not be able to resolve this before 6.9, but we'll get there one way or another.

Try just changing the speech recognition options first. Go to Control Panel > Speech Recognition > Advanced speech options and the Speech Properties dialog should show up. At the top is a Language drop down. I'm curious to know what language you have selected there. There are separate options for both the speech recognition language and the speech synthesis language I believe, and I would guess the speech recognition options are more important.

@Jason Carr updated to the latest stable 6.9 all i can say is its the 3 F's

Fast

Fluid

And Friggin Good

Also tried it with the Search keyboard function and the spygalss no problems with the videos they work fine

Have to say VLC is now my default as thereis no lag on the coverflow wheel which there is a slight lag using WMP.

Also is it possible to say have more than one instance of Coverflow say running in PlatformWheelBackgroundVideoFiltersView.

Big KUDOS

Edited by Maddoc1007
  • Like 3