LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr I figured something out in the meantime until we get a proper plugin. If you go into the settings.ini file in ledblinky and under [FE Options] change DemoGameControls from 0 to 1 we can get demo controls. We are not given that option in the GUI because we do not have a proper plugin yet for LaunchBox and we don't get that option when we choose "Other Frontend". I tried it out and it works great so when we enter a platform we get a short led demo of the controls being used for that platform as long as you have the platforms named correctly in the ledblinkycontrols.xml file vs. what they are named in BigBox. 

Oh nice @kmoney. Been talking back and forth with Arzoo and just fixed two more things for the LEDBlinky implementation; one is that I was sending over the file name including the file extension (which is why MAME wasn't working for me!) and the other is that the list change command was being sent before the frontend start command. New beta just went out with these fixes. LEDBlinky is now working 100% for me on my new bartop. Woot! :)

Also sounds like Arzoo will have the LaunchBox plugin out very soon! :)

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, and here's another new beta guys. We fixed one NullReferenceException we found with the VLC engine. Since then, I've been running it for 3 hours now in attract mode on my bartop with no issues, so I'm really hoping that the VLC crashes at least have been resolved. Please test it as much as you can and let me know if you run into anything with the VLC engine in Big Box. I think we're finally close to getting it all fixed up thanks to @higan.

@bundangdon Can you get me a screenshot or something as an example for the VLC video size issue? I'm not seeing those issues on any of my machines and I haven't been able to reproduce it. Also, what theme and view are you using? Do you have background videos enabled?

@kyoken Oddly I'm not seeing black borders with the VLC videos on my 16:10 monitors, so same questions: what theme and view are you using? I assume you're using background videos?

@ThePolish I suspect that the double audio problem is likely because of moving too quickly in and out of platforms. Are you able to reproduce it consistently if you move quickly?

Also, this new beta has some new voice recognition options. You can now change the voice prefix, as well as the voice to use for the speech synthesis (thanks to @jadekitten). :)

Next I'm heading back to LEDBlinky to fix those issues. @kmoney, then the only issue is that your pause, start, and exit buttons aren't staying lit? That is pretty weird, and sounds like it's not even possible for me to control that. I think we'll have to ask @arzoo on that one. Do you think the MAME issue is an issue with the LaunchBox code? Or is that just because of the MAME issues with .170-.175?

@Jason Carr Sorry, Forget It, In last Launchbox Beta it plays Full Screen Now. Thanks

• Like 1

Is there anyway to use LEDBlinky with a HTPC set up that not so much blinks with the buttons that you us but that would just implement like a cool light show around your setup making it kind look like a old school arcade in the whole room around my HDTV.

Say using something like this connected to the PC.

Edited by DOS76

16 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Is there anyway to use LEDBlinky with a HTPC set up that not so much blinks with the buttons that you us but that would just implement like a cool light show around your setup making it kind look like a old school arcade in the whole room around my HDTV.

Say using something like this connected to the PC.

If you can hook it up to one of the 3 led controllers ledblinky supports then I don't see why not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@RetroArcade, hmm, I might be missing something there. Can you explain that bug? Sorry if I've forgotten or something, just have a lot swirling around in my head.

This is the second time I have noticed that my path for clear logos(set to my HS wheels folders) for random systems have reverted back to the default path of the LB folder.  Not sure if it is happening when when updating the betas or just randomly occurs 

Edited by RetroArcade

Good news, everyone! I believe I've finally fixed the lines on the images bug with the wheels. It was driving me nuts because it was happening more than usual on the bartop, so I sat down this morning with one goal, prayed about it, and was determined to solve it. Thankfully the Lord helped me figure it out. I was knee-deep in 3D rendering code which to be honest is not my area of expertise. Ultimately the issue was related to a math rounding error in the CoverFlow rendering and I was able to solve it by fudging the numbers a bit.

@bundangdon I believe I just fixed that issue as well for the next beta.

@RetroArcade I see. I haven't figured that out yet. If anyone else has seen that happen, please speak up. I could use any clues you guys have as to when or how that might be happening.

Thanks all, I'll have a beta out here shortly. :)

• Like 3

Alright, new beta is out. In addition to the fixes described above, this beta has an update to the Italian translation, a couple more minor fixes for VLC, and I've fixed the Download Metadata wizard to stop overwriting platforms. I have not added an option for this yet; it's currently just set to never override platforms. We've been seeing a lot of related issues with that so for now I'm going to just stop changing the platforms with the metadata wizard. Obviously it's easy to manually change platforms in batch if needed.

Thanks guys, I do believe we are nearing being ready for an official release, so I expect to put out the 6.9 official some time next week. :)

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@bundangdon

@RetroArcade I see. I haven't figured that out yet. If anyone else has seen that happen, please speak up. I could use any clues you guys have as to when or how that might be happening.

Thanks all, I'll have a beta out here shortly. :)

ive seen this a couple versions back but not recently. I did put in a bitbucket for the windows.png not reading from the custom themes folder though. Also, for the last few versions, bigbox is taking an incredibly longer time to boot up for some reason.

Edited by shinra358
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr Do you think something can be done to improve the Coverflow With Details View when you are scrolling through the alphabet search list as it is really,really sluggish and seems to be getting worse? That is the only view that I see having a problem in that category and I have a very beefy PC so I know thats not the issue.  Also a reminder not to forget to make that view a continous loop, so when you get to the last box it will scroll back to the beginning:)

• Like 2

@shinra358 I'll be headed back to Bitbucket next week to run through everything and fix all the bugs I can find. If Big Box is taking longer to load in the last few betas, it sounds like maybe you have voice recognition enabled? Voice recognition does indeed significantly increase the startup time. I may look at optimizing this soon (such as delaying loading the voice recognition for example).

@kmoney, yes I'm sure we can optimize that at some point here. I agree that that is currently the most sluggish part of Big Box currently. I still have the CoverFlow looping on my list.

@spycat So great to hear, thank you much. :)

• Like 2