LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr I found a solution for the extreme slugginess for the coverflow with details view. I had my settings for coverflow on the hightest quality setting and I just turned it down one notch lower to the High setting and it was like a night and day difference in the scrolling through the alphanumeric menu and honestly I can see no difference in the quality of the coverflow art images. Maybe it makes a difference if someone is viewing it on a very large hdtv as I am not sure. But anyhow that problem is solved,maybe you should make the higher setting the new max setting.

I also wanted to point out that I have been testing out the newest beta with the vlc engine chosen and am still seeing the videos not playing randomly when landing on a game or platform and also some audio mixing with other audio when exiting out of menus fast and I have also had BigBox crash on me 3 times with no errors given and I think it could be related to vlc issues as I have not had that before until I switched over to the vlc engine.

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

And the new beta with the hopeful VLC fixes is out. I've been refusing to use Windows Media Player for the last week just so I can get annoyed enough to fix all the issues lol. ;)

Out of curiosity, what has been  causing the background audio thing? 

4 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I don't know about the benefits but the VLC engine I believe is integrated into LaunchBox but WMP has to installed on the users machines. 

But WMP is on all windows 10 &  below PC.  I have never installed it and the works 

7 hours ago, AeronNL said:

Sorry if this is a Dumb question guys, but are there any benefits of using VLC over WMP?

I find the VLC engine superior (minus the bugs of course), because coverflow performance is much smoother than WMP on my system. Even though WMP is stable, the coverflow animation is too choppy and comes off as an eyesore.

• Windows 10 x64
  • i5-2500
  • 12GB RAM
  • HD 5770 ATI (AMD) Radeon
  • 7200 RPM HDD
Edited by Sepulchre
  • Like 1

@ALIE Believe it or not, it's not installed for everybody. Some corporate and foreign installs don't include WMP.

New beta is out guys with a bunch of stuff. Added more responses for voice recognition in the live stream. Made the voice recognition responses be sequential so it feels more real. Optimized saving in Big Box so that it doesn't slow down the interface, and does a better job of not overwriting changes when syncing via Dropbox. Fixed the updater to stop telling you to close LaunchBox. More VLC audio playing in the background fixes.

Also I'm hoping that the platform folders being overwritten with the defaults thing is fixed. Let me know if anyone sees any more of that going on. Thanks guys! :)

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I am already seeing very strange issues with the newest beta with the VLC engine. It only seems to affect the ones sized for 16:9 ratio like steam or wii videos, but very often when I land on one of those videos I can hear the music but cannot see any video. No matter what I do no video will not display until I switch back to WMP.

@shinra358, it's still on my list here to fix before 6.9.

@kmoney, that's an odd one that I'm not seeing. I just fixed the issue where every once in a while a video wouldn't show up, but if you're hearing audio but not seeing any video, then that is a different issue. We should test when I get this new beta out later today. What theme are you using and what view are you seeing it on? Are you using background videos?