LaunchBox Community Forums

ROM filenames in Big Box

andreycout

Is there any way to know the filename of a particular game on Big Box? Maybe a way to add it to the "details" part? This is really useful in some situations where you have duplicate games. If you import your MAME collection for example, even with the LightSpeed Mame Importer and its tons of additional metadata, some clones are bound to have pretty much the same metadata value for all fields and there's no way to know which is which.

If there's no way, the solution might be creating a tool for adding the filename as a custom field for every game. Launchbox Annotator tool does that IIRC, but only if you choose to bulk rename all your titles, which I don't want to.

Edit: somewhat related, is there any way to show the "Version" field on Big Box game details? That could help.

Edited by andreycout

• 1 month later...

NO, absolutely NO, that's not better in any way, we like having all the versions of the game, if i want to have only the best version then i use filters or other programs to filter my mame rom collection and upload to launchbox only the games that i want (like i did in the past on maximus arcade and launchbox) but a lot of people want ALL the games installed and ALL the versions, best way to know which is which is showing the filename, launchbox does this, it is a very simple thing to do and it is already working on launchbox, we want the same thing on bigbox, show the filename of the rom.

Can you imagine selecting your favorite game in a collection of 22813 games like the one i have? and i can tell you, my collection is already filtered (deleted unlicenced games, hacks, demos, etc) Complete collections can reach more than 30.000 games easily.

Just put the filename on the description, simple, easy to code, easy to implement, easy solution.

Edited by Soulchip

Yes of course I understand your idea, but you are not understanding us, I want to be able to see ALL my versions of the game without entering another sub menu, I love it like it is right now, the only thing that I need is showing the filename. that's it. What you are asking is a lot more complex, it means that a new submenu is needed, a selection tool is needed and the user will have to imput which version to show first as the favourite and so on...

what we ask is very simple, just show in the description (just like the cpu, source, developer, etc,) the filename of the rom, that´s it, a very simple and fast solution that does not need anything more than just a few lines of code and a new entry in the options that says "show filename in description".

This simple thing will fix a lot of problems. It is already an option in launchbox, I do not see why we can't have this on bigbox without having to add more complex solutions like the one you have, that may or not may be a good idea but it is not what we are asking here.

Like the title of the OP says: just show the rom filename.

I like scrolling my 20 versions of mortal kombat, i have no problems with that, i just wish to see the rom filename to know which one is it.
and again...if i only want to see one version of each game i filter them using launchbox importing tool or third party tools that do the same job and a lot better in some cases.

I'm not telling you this is a bad option, but maybe we can have the "show filename" first because it is an easy fix and VERY useful, and maybe later if jason has the time he can add this other feature that you are asking, that will surely take a lot more time to develop.

Yes, there is a ticket already

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1817/show-file-name-big-box

BTW, I discovered that if you use no background images and no wheel images (you can use pictures, video and details) bigbox goes really fast on a core 2 duo with 4gb ram. The bottleneck is not the cpu or the ram (or even the 9800gtx video card) the bottleneck is the sata2 port, the ssd is bottlenecked by the sata2 and this is causing the images to load slower.

I was going to try a pcie to sata3 card, BUT, the pcie on this motherboard is gen1 so it is only 250mb on the 1x pcie....this is the same bottleneck that the sata2 port has, so that is out of the equation too.

Anyways, I will build a new arcade soon for the lcd with an actual pc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...