LaunchBox Community Forums

Kodi addon for LaunchBox

hey @Cointos, floating the idea of a feature request, addition to the Kodi BigBox launcher. Any chance it could be updated to include some features around initiating a streaming session of BigBox, not just launching a BigBox instance local to that workstation?

The usecase for the idea is basically its great to have the same user experience on all your media/gaming endpoints in the house but its unlikely you are going to have gaming spec hardware at each location. Obviously with features like Steam Streaming and GeForce Streaming it would enable other endpoints to also play games. There are some Steam launchers and also Luna (although I could get the launcher install but not working in Kodi) but essentially they just supply a list of launchable/Streamable games. This is quite neat but obviously it's a different user experience if users are used to using the BigBox interface. If you add the BigBox.exe to the Geforce or Steam application as an additional program it can then stream that interface or it can be initiated manually through command line (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Moonlight Game Streaming\moonlight.exe" stream <insert-streaming-host-ip-here> "BigBox").

Obviously it would require prereqs that a user has a Nvidia card and installs Moonlight on their clients and then I was just thinking a tick box and some abilities to plug the command line into the BigBox launcher or some fields to receive the location of Moonlight, the name of the app to launch (you name them when adding to GeForce program) and the IP address of the host streaming device.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

I've got issues making the BB script run within a new install of Kodi 18. The dialogue for changing the Launchbox directory does *not* show any files, including exe. So my installation: "d:\games\emulators\LaunchBox\" I can navigate to, but I cannot select BigBox.exe. In fact I cannot see *any* files from folder selection. This is odd because the Steam Launcher script can see files just fine. Perhaps something has changed between Kodi 17.6 and 18 that broke the launcher?  Where in the script is the install folder saved? I'd like to see if I can manually edit it.

Edited by Bedwyr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@CoinTos has apparently not been active for over a year on this forum.  Perhaps someone else might be interested in adapting the addon for Kodi 18?  This addon was actually the reason I decided to pay for a LB license, it would be a shame for this addon to cease being useful now that Kodi 18 is in regular use. 

Edited by nonstatik

6 hours ago, nonstatik said:

@CoinTos has apparently not been active for over a year on this forum.  Perhaps someone else might be interested in adapting the addon for Kodi 18?  This addon was actually the reason I decided to pay for a LB license, it would be a shame for this addon to cease being useful now that Kodi 18 is in regular use. 

This would be great, I highly rate the integration as well. Allows me to run my Mini ITX media box as a great console replacement. Would definitely appreciate the integration being upgraded.

Wow, I guess it has been over a year. Work, life and no time for retro gaming... I miss the simpler days of before. Anyways, here's a test zip with Kodi 18 support for the brave, it works on my tests of Kodi 18 64bit and Kodi 18 UWP. Report any issues, I will try and get them fixed, if none found, I will post it in the download section. Due to Kodi transitioning to Python 3 and bunch of other changes, this addon really needs a rewrite at some point this year (before Kodi 19 for sure). which would make things like adding multiple Launchbox instances support etc possible. I just got to find the time.

Edited by CoinTos
Test file deleted, final version posted to downloads section.

16 hours ago, CoinTos said:

Wow, I guess it has been over a year. Work, life and no time for retro gaming... I miss the simpler days of before. Anyways, here's a test zip with Kodi 18 support for the brave, it works on my tests of Kodi 18 64bit and Kodi 18 UWP. Report any issues, I will try and get them fixed, if none found, I will post it in the download section. Due to Kodi transitioning to Python 3 and bunch of other changes, this addon really needs a rewrite at some point this year (before Kodi 19 for sure). which would make things like adding multiple Launchbox instances support etc possible. I just got to find the time.

script.launchbox.launcher-1.5.4-test.zip

Just wanted to say thanks @CoinTos for your work on this! 

On 3/10/2019 at 10:57 PM, CoinTos said:

script.launchbox.launcher-1.5.4-test.zip

I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow. Thanks very much for doing this. Out of curiosity, what was the primary change? I asked about the Steam launcher which I know this cribs from, but didn't go as far as a line-by-line Kdiff in notepad++. (I do a little bit of XML and only enough Python to load libraries; everything else is C/C++/Matlab scientific computing, so I'm not up on the intricacies of how Kodi does things.)

8 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow. Thanks very much for doing this. Out of curiosity, what was the primary change? I asked about the Steam launcher which I know this cribs from, but didn't go as far as a line-by-line Kdiff in notepad++. (I do a little bit of XML and only enough Python to load libraries; everything else is C/C++/Matlab scientific computing, so I'm not up on the intricacies of how Kodi does things.)

Honestly, the only changes are structure related and a couple of unused modules removed. I was in a rush to get something out and was having trouble finding answers on the Kodi Wiki about Kodi 18 so I looked at teeedubb's changes for the Steam launcher as his works. Notice he had a future call in his default.py and a package folder structure with __init__.py so I loaded up pycharm and did the same. Ran it through Kodi 18 with debug, no errors, so I figured good to release for test. Next changes needed are dropping Kodi 17 and previous support and rewriting it all Python 3 as Kodi 19 and higher required this and as far as I know Kodi 18 supports it.

Gave this a spin this arvo, worked fine from a few starts so seems good :) thanks heaps for work on this man :)

Is there any way ppl know of to not display the Windows desktop in the transition from Kodi to Big Box? Just to make it a bit more seamless :)

Just now, Rjay said:

No problems thanks, will check this out, setting in the Kodi plugin or within Big Box itself?

You add a folder to Launchbox/Videos called startup and drop a video in there, it will play the video while Bigbox is loading, so you wont see the loading box on the desktop you will see the video playing instead.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/7-big-box-startup-videos/

22 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Gave this a spin this arvo, worked fine from a few starts so seems good :) thanks heaps for work on this man :)

Is there any way ppl know of to not display the Windows desktop in the transition from Kodi to Big Box? Just to make it a bit more seamless :)

Glad to hear. As for the transition, 3 options.

1. As suggested by neil9000, startup video
2. Run Kodi as a shell (warning: UWA apps won't work in windows 10)
3. If windows 10
    A) Hide desktop icons: Right clicking on desktop, selecting view and unchecking Show desktop icons 
    B) Hide taskbar: Right clicking on tasbar, select Taskbar settings and turn on Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode

Ace thats actually good to know but sorry maybe my bad explanation, is there a video option for when Big Box is exiting while Kodi is loading?

or possibly I can use the suggestion above and hide the desktop icons

Edited by Rjay

On 3/16/2019 at 10:19 AM, Rjay said:

Ace thats actually good to know but sorry maybe my bad explanation, is there a video option for when Big Box is exiting while Kodi is loading?

or possibly I can use the suggestion above and hide the desktop icons

New test file, autohotkey script updated to draw a black fullscreen window, in an attempt to hide desktop icons and hopefully task bar.

Edited by CoinTos
Test file deleted, final version posted to downloads section.