LaunchBox Community Forums

Playlist in a subcategories ?

adu

Hello everyone and @Jason Carr,

I've a simple question : do the playlists are only showep up as a sort of plateform, or is it possible to put them in a subcategorie ?

For example, now I've my systems "Super Nintendo, Mame, Sega Megadrive ..." and inside each, the games related, and so on. If I use the playlists, they show up between my systems. Is it possible to have a "Playlist" system, and inside all the playlists I created ?

If it's not possible now (latest non-beta version), is it planned or is it too difficult to add ?

Thanks to anyone who can answer :)

Currently, the only special playlist only sorting is when you click the drop down in the left sidebar and click playlists at the bottom. Sorting them in Platform Categories would probably be a good idea too though, but they're not considered platforms. I think a potential manage playlists option could probably solve that so people can set it to what they want. It depends on what Jason has planned though.

• Like 1

In BigBox would be nice to have sub platforms or categories inside platform.

For example when i open the platform Arcade there is the list of various systems like CPS1, Neo Geo, PGM ecc... with the same view of platforms.

For now i don't like how playlists works because are in the same level of the platforms

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro post. I was just reinstalling my setup on a new computer and using tricks I've learned over the years and I was looking at how playlists show up nested under a platform and didn't like it. I have avoided using playlists for this reason and instead just using genres as defacto playlists since a game can be in multiple genres. This isn't a good solution if you like big box themes so I came up with another.

If you click the + to add a new platform without importing roms, you can then add a platform named "Playlists". Then when you edit a playlist check the box to include in platform lists then as the platform category select the newly created "Playlists" platform.

There you go, no more using a hotkey to switch. You can indeed have your cake and eat it too! Now if I could just figure out an easy or effient way to store the media gribbles and a separate drive or folder than launchbox.

10 minutes ago, CaptainGreenhat said:

Now if I could just figure out an easy or effient way to store the media gribbles and a separate drive or folder than launchbox.

Just go to tools/manage platforms then the folders tab, you can specify folders there for all image types and videos.

Yes, thus the need for an efficient way of going about it. Granted not every game uses every image file entry but even editing the typical 5-10 images I typically keep for each system + music + video + Manual etc etc ends up being a lot of tiny individual edits if you have a bunch of systems. 

Alternatively you can edit the platforms.xml file directly but that also takes time, albeit a lot less. Macros in notepad++ can assist greatly which is what I ended up doing but none of that is efficient.

Don't get me wrong though, I am in ❤️ with Launchbox. Everyday I find some new tweak or setting that greatly improves my gaming experience and I continually have my mind blown with the capabilities we have in 2018 as gamers.

• 10 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 4:06 PM, Jason Carr said:

@adu @SentaiBrad Playlists do indeed show up in the platforms lists (and are also sorted there) if you check the box on the playlist to include it with platforms.

@Sdentau92 You might be more happy with nested filters once we implement those.

Hi, I'm new to Launchbox and I'm still learning how to use it. I'm happy with it's interface, but I was wondering if this "nested filters" or something similar was implemented. 2 years has passed since this post, so... I might be missing something here.

As @Sdentau92 said, "For now i don't like how playlists works because are in the same level of the platforms" I'm not happy with this same thing.

Before LaunchBox, I was using RetroFE and I'm missing that thing of creating sub-menus for organizing things as I can do there.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yes, nested folders with playlists and folders are implemented.

Thanks, @Lordmonkus! I wasn't understanding how to view it in the BigBox mode, now I got it. I understood, I had to view categories and it will be there. ;)

Nice and clearing tutorial. Thanks!

• Like 1