LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-4 Released

Jason Carr

Alright guys, 7.9-beta-4 is here with the following:

- Platform categories can now be edited via the side bar in LaunchBox, so extra categories can be removed, they can be assigned sort titles, etc.

- We now have default platform category logo images thanks to @GiantTitan (they look amazing!)

- Moving from platform categories to platforms in Big Box should hopefully be a bit quicker now; let me know how it performs for you guys

- Missing field "Broken" has been added to auto-playlists and Big Box nested filters

We're getting closer to being ready for the official release, but I'm still going to spend the next few days on fixes, performance improvements, etc. before we put it out early next week. :)

• Like 10

I've been working with LaunchBox pretty much all day, making my collection all pretty and up-to-date with Metadata and games I hadn't added yet. Then I updated to the new beta. Oh boy.

Suddenly I am cursed with waiting multiple minutes when switching between platforms, and more than ten when switching between Playlists and Platform Categories views.

So here is a little bug/issue im currently having. I have your default platform categories but i also have pinball and lightgun games added to platform categories, well i can see them in BB but when i go to LB to delete them they are not listed there.... i presume its because i have not associated any systems to these categories so it doesn't show up in LB but it still does in BB.... how else can i delete these " invisible" platform categories? 

Edited by Mute64

11 hours ago, Kriven said:

I've been working with LaunchBox pretty much all day, making my collection all pretty and up-to-date with Metadata and games I hadn't added yet. Then I updated to the new beta. Oh boy.

Suddenly I am cursed with waiting multiple minutes when switching between platforms, and more than ten when switching between Playlists and Platform Categories views.

I have to admit that this puzzles me @Kriven since I haven't really changed anything significant to affect that in the last beta. What version did you upgrade from?

12 hours ago, twasjesto said:

Will we have an option to have the platform categories view different from platform view?

Unfortunately not for 7.9. It was decided that it would be too jarring to have yet another separate view for platform categories, so platform categories and platforms are currently displayed in the same view.

9 hours ago, Mute64 said:

So here is a little bug/issue im currently having. I have your default platform categories but i also have pinball and lightgun games added to platform categories, well i can see them in BB but when i go to LB to delete them they are not listed there.... i presume its because i have not associated any systems to these categories so it doesn't show up in LB but it still does in BB.... how else can i delete these " invisible" platform categories? 

I'll take a look at this @Mute64. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

Mine is actually really slow as well when it wasn't in the past.

Okay, and I assume this just happened with beta 4 only? Must be something odd that I'm overlooking. Gonna need you guys' help to pinpoint it; just in case it's collection-specific, if you guys can PM me a copy of your Data folder I'd appreciate it.

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I have to admit that this puzzles me @Kriven since I haven't really changed anything significant to affect that in the last beta. What version did you upgrade from?

I've been current with every beta since the 7.9 revisions started. I'll send you my data. I was messing around with it last night, and it looks like the lag is only present when dealing with Platform Categories.

Just now, OmenBoy said:

BigBox still shows Handhelds and Consoles categories though LB doesn't, so I have no way to edit them out of BB. I use manufactures as categories instead of hardware type, i.e. Sony, Nintendo, Sega. afdfd.thumb.png.384b10cc2e1eeb834cd4201791156a02.pngUntitled-2.thumb.png.22c439ef49ec1f51ebfe78ac3c8cd67c.png

I've had this issue as well. The problem is that Platform Categories aren't being deleted from Platforms.xml for whatever reason. Open that file and find any references to your unwanted categories and get rid of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Kriven said:

I've had this issue as well. The problem is that Platform Categories aren't being deleted from Platforms.xml for whatever reason. Open that file and find any references to your unwanted categories and get rid of them.

Thanks, it was driving me nuts lol. Hopefully those categories don't come back :)

• Like 2

Alright guys, beta 5 is out with the following:

- Fixed empty platform categories showing up in Big Box
- Fixed empty platform categories *not* showing up in the sidebar in LaunchBox
- Fixed the performance issues noted by Kriven
- Added caching for playlists on startup to help with performance in a few places
- Added hiding and unhiding games to the Big Box game details menu
- Fixed a couple of places where games were not being hidden with playlists in Big Box

Empty platform categories *should* always show up in the sidebar in LaunchBox so that you can go ahead and delete them, but they weren't, and funnily enough, they were showing up in Big Box, but they shouldn't have been, so that should be fixed now. Also, the performance issues introduced in beta 4 were due to my attempts at tweaking the performance for the platform categories; Kriven's collection helped me to nail down the issue (hopefully). Let me know how performance is for this release.

There is a little bit more going on on startup now to cache some of the playlist features to help with performance after everything is loaded. You may find that startup time is slightly longer due to this; ultimately my plan is to add more multi-threading on startup to address this, but it may or may not make it into the 7.9 release.

It's back to work now again for me; I'm working on adding some more optimizations for lower end devices.

• Like 3

@deliyuerek85 Where exactly are you seeing that? LaunchBox or Big Box? What view?

Beta 6 is out now as well with the above fixes as well as the following:

- New Premium Feature: New options are available under Options > Image Cache in Big Box to force populate all cache images. This should help especially on lower-end devices like the GPD Win, where the device is too slow to do it during normal operation.

- Improvement: Added a new "CurrentTime" binding to all views in Big Box for custom themes (for @Grila and @GiantTitan)

• Like 4