LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-4 Released

Jason Carr

4 minutes ago, Kriven said:

I also just encountered the issue of Platform Categories not sorting properly (a new development on my end, after the update you sent out to fix the slowdown). For me it is manifesting exclusively in Big Box.

Thanks @Kriven, that clued me in to the issue. Putting out another new beta now, lol.

• Like 1

Alright, beta 7 is now out with the fix for platform categories sorting. Just so nobody misses it, here's the full set of changes implemented today:

- Fixed empty platform categories showing up in Big Box
- Fixed empty platform categories *not* showing up in the sidebar in LaunchBox
- Fixed the performance issues noted by Kriven
- Added caching for playlists on startup to help with performance in a few places
- Added hiding and unhiding games to the Big Box game details menu
- Fixed a couple of places where games were not being hidden with playlists in Big Box

- New Premium Feature: New options are available under Options > Image Cache in Big Box to force populate all cache images. This should help especially on lower-end devices like the GPD Win, where the device is too slow to do it during normal operation.
- Improvement: Added a new "CurrentTime" binding to all views in Big Box for custom themes

Please see the details in the previous posts though on some of the new stuff.

• Like 3

Caching of images seem to be broken in BigBox  in beta7.  when you first open up BigBox all the images in both coverflow and Coverflow with details show up, but then when you change through all the game views and come back to the Coverflow views some of the boxes are missing see screenshot I updated from beta 4 to beta 7 and caching was fine in beta 4.  I am using 3d box frontsUntitled.thumb.png.7f9540ba7971d723f984fd4abe3bff23.png

15 hours ago, Maddoc1007 said:

Caching of images seem to be broken in BigBox  in beta7.  when you first open up BigBox all the images in both coverflow and Coverflow with details show up, but then when you change through all the game views and come back to the Coverflow views some of the boxes are missing see screenshot I updated from beta 4 to beta 7 and caching was fine in beta 4.  I am using 3d box frontsUntitled.thumb.png.7f9540ba7971d723f984fd4abe3bff23.png

I know on rare occasions the cache will get stuck like this, but I don't think it's new and I think just restarting Big Box will solve it. It is something we need to fix though; just one of those nightmare things to fix that isn't happening often enough to focus on...yet. ;)

Let me know though Maddoc if the issue keeps happening for you after a restart.

4 hours ago, bundangdon said:

I can't seem to find the platform category images that you used in your youtube demonstration, and the ones mentioned here. Is there anything special I need to do in order to download these?

@bundangdon They should automatically populate in your collection once you remove any existing platform category clear logo images. LaunchBox will add them if you don't have any other images, basically. So delete any platform category images that you currently have, then go into Big Box and clear the platform wheel cache. That should do it. :)

• Like 1

@Jason Carr It is still happening.  all images will show in the Coverflow and Coverflow with details when you restart bigbox but as soon as you go click through the gameviews and come back to the coverflow views that some of the boxart is missing.  However it does not happen with one image type Clear Logo's, Also it never happened before beta 4 it only started happening when i updated from beta 4 to beta 7 and beta 8.

WOW:o Forcing cache what a wonderful feature. Might not be important on high end PCs,  but since my pc died I been testing LB on my old Laptop used for school stuff back in the day.  This should help 

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 2

@Maddoc1007 @LukeArio I can confirm that I am seeing both issues myself as well. Hopefully I can manage to get them fixed tomorrow; it looks like the release will end up coming out on Wednesday. @Maddoc1007 That CoverFlow bug has been a problem since the beginning and has to do with files that are in use, proving to be a nasty one to solve.

Anyways, beta 9 is out with the following:

- Improvement: Big Box CoverFlow performance has been marginally improved; also, for lower end machines such as the GPD Win, the reflections are what cause performance issues and can now be turned off under Big Box > Options > Images > CoverFlow Reflection Opacity. Set the opacity to 0% to drastically improve performance.

- Improvement: Hide Taskbar is no longer the default for Big Box since it seems to cause some rare issues on some systems, specifically when coming back to Big Box from a game (thanks to Charco for figuring this out)

- Fixed: When selecting a platform, platform category, or playlist in the sidebar in LaunchBox and no previous image type had been selected for that item, LaunchBox was not using the default image type but rather it was using the image type that was used for the previous selection

- Fixed: Playlists were not looking at additional apps when populating the games in the lists

- Fixed: When creating automatic arcade playlists, some non-arcade games were ending up in the list

Anything you guys can do to test the above would be appreciated. :)

• Like 3

Hi Jason. You could make the multiple roms that come packaged in 7z, could be loaded without having to put them separately each, either in 7z format or rar ??? Version 7.8, detects only one of several roms in a file 7z or rar, and the rest ignores them ... It would be great to detect them and make them appear in a drop-down submenu to select them ... I have detected some minor bugs that forced me to reset bigbox with the task manager ... Another idea would be that, within a bigbox, when selecting a game without having to enter the characteristics of it, it will detect the video associated with it and reproduce it, only reading the first characters of it, that is to say, it was a bit intuitive and You would not have to massively rename many videos with the name of your rom It's up to you... regards

Beta 10 is out now guys with some fixes for some minor bugs from the automatic error reports. The other thing I changed was I changed the method of downloading images and media slightly to download them to a temporary folder and then move them, in an effort to get rid of rare errors that pop up while trying to use LaunchBox during an operation like metadata updates.

I'm hoping this will be a good release candidate and we can release the official version either later tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

• Like 7

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, Jason Carr said:

@Maddoc1007 @LukeArio I can confirm that I am seeing both issues myself as well. Hopefully I can manage to get them fixed tomorrow; it looks like the release will end up coming out on Wednesday. @Maddoc1007 That CoverFlow bug has been a problem since the beginning and has to do with files that are in use, proving to be a nasty one to solve.

Anyways, beta 9 is out with the following:

- Improvement: Big Box CoverFlow performance has been marginally improved; also, for lower end machines such as the GPD Win, the reflections are what cause performance issues and can now be turned off under Big Box > Options > Images > CoverFlow Reflection Opacity. Set the opacity to 0% to drastically improve performance.

- Improvement: Hide Taskbar is no longer the default for Big Box since it seems to cause some rare issues on some systems, specifically when coming back to Big Box from a game (thanks to Charco for figuring this out)

- Fixed: When selecting a platform, platform category, or playlist in the sidebar in LaunchBox and no previous image type had been selected for that item, LaunchBox was not using the default image type but rather it was using the image type that was used for the previous selection

- Fixed: Playlists were not looking at additional apps when populating the games in the lists

- Fixed: When creating automatic arcade playlists, some non-arcade games were ending up in the list

Anything you guys can do to test the above would be appreciated. :)

Can confirm that the missing games in playlist is fixed!

Really good work, Jason!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quazl said:

Can confirm that the missing games in playlist is fixed!

Really good work, Jason!

Was just coming here to say the same thing!! I just deleted all my arcade playlist xml's and re-added them and now have a lot more games in the playlists. So great work as always @Jason Carr, much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shinra358 said:

Can one edit the names and descriptions of the platform categories? (Sorry, been away for a while)

Also, any news on the stretching control additions to the wheel for the wheel options in xaml for pics and vids?

Yup, just a matter of right-clicking on them in the side bar in LaunchBox. It's been too long for me to remember exactly what you mean about the wheels, but we haven't made any major changes to them recently.