LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 Creator's Update

angelobodetti

I only did upgrades myself but the performance seems the same with no real improvements but no new performance hits either. I have a few machines in the Insider Preview fast ring and before upgrading my other computers and the experience was pretty much the same if you are already on the Anniversary edition it will be very small changes. I only clean install if I run into issues and sfc scan and dism won't fix them.

Thank you for your feedback I am also using the Insider Preview but have excluded the arcade machine.  its running the Anniversary edition and gets patched 2 weeks after a release.  I figured if their were core changes i would do a clean install instead of an update.  

I need a good tool to turn off windows 10 services that i don't use and see if anything is gained.

The one issue that we have been seeing (several users have reported it now) is that apparently sometimes nVidia graphics card drivers get corrupted and then nothing that uses DirectX will work (including Big Box or games). It should be able to be fixed by just reinstalling nVidia drivers though. I just upgraded myself and haven't experienced any issues (outside of a dreadfully long install time). ;)

After the Windows 10 creators update I also experienced crashes when trying to launch Bigbox. Reinstalling nvidia drivers and turning off Gamebar didn't work. The problem was somehow related to MSI Afterburner and RivaTunerstatistics. After putting an exclusion for launchbox.exe and bigbox.exe they would launch again. 

• Like 3

This is the first update IO have done to Windows 10 so far that has lasted 48 hours without taking a crap and needing me to format my OS drive. :D I can't speak too soon about it but it seems to make my BB scroll a little smoother. I did enable game mode for BB and saw no difference at all. Using system explorer to give BB high priority seems to be a much better way to get a little smoother operation. Buddy of mine also installed the creators update and he has had some major crashing issues but I am not convinced it's LB/BB and not just something that went wrong with his OS in general.

• Like 1

My only issue was on of my tablets didn't have any touch drivers or sound but reinstalling the chipset (which is stored in my documents folder) had it fixed up with in a few minutes hardest part was finding my usb to microusb adapter to connect a keyboard to it and do the work.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

Has anyone created a user and put their windows 10 in Kiosk mode?    I like to lock windows 10 down only run in BigBox mode and not allow access to my system when i have friends and family over.    I have successfully shelled bigbox but I wonder if their is better way.     

On 11/4/2017 at 9:26 PM, Jason Carr said:

The one issue that we have been seeing (several users have reported it now) is that apparently sometimes nVidia graphics card drivers get corrupted and then nothing that uses DirectX will work (including Big Box or games). It should be able to be fixed by just reinstalling nVidia drivers though. I just upgraded myself and haven't experienced any issues (outside of a dreadfully long install time). ;)

I have noticed that opening launchbox now makes windows show the game bar, which means, I believe, that windows now detects LB as a game when previously it was not. My nvidia drivers are 376.53 (outdated a couple of months)

Sin título-2.png

Apart from that no problems at all.

Edited by Seymour

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 0:26 PM, Jason Carr said:

I had this exact issue and reinstalling nVidia graphics drivers did not help. I ended up rolling back the update.

The only issue I have with LB/BB is that it takes 20 seconds for it load the UI.  most of the load time is the building the games db.   windows 10 boots up in 7 seconds from cold boot up.  

Can you optimize Big Box so can load quicker.   I have had issue with videos playing on games that i am skipping when navigating that has gotten better.   

I prefer to do all configuration in LB.  

16 minutes ago, Patham said:

Heh, leave Minecraft out of it please as my son loves that game. He would be totally happy if that was the only video game in the world, seriously, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But yeah, my biggest gripe with MS is the way they force feed stuff and twist it into it's what's good for me when in fact it's what's good for their bottom dollar. Sadly, that's the way of the world now.

I am in no way saying Microsoft are in any way less shady than they actually are, but i would hazard a guess that 80-90% of people running Windows 10 got it as a free upgrade and haven't paid a penny for it. So i can sort of understand why they would like to get some sort of cash coming in from it after people install it. Doesn't make anything that they are doing right either mind, i would suggest that the people on a forum like this are power users and want total control over there system (i know i do) but for the vast majority of users its probably a non issue. I know for a fact my Mum is on the Creators update now on her laptop, and she couldn't give a toss about any of that stuff. Windows 10 works great on her laptop and that is all she cares about. 

Just now, Patham said:

And I'm in no way saying 10 is a crap OS. It is what it is, that being a cash cow for MS. They are like all too many corporations nowadays, bottom dollar, fuck the customer. That's my point. B|

Lol, sorry. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, just saying that i dont think the general user really cares either way. I will agree with you that Windows 10 is not a crap OS, not by any metric, in fact i would personally go as far to say that it is by far the best OS they have ever made. I personally love it.