LaunchBox Community Forums

7.11-beta-5 & 6

y2j420

Starting with 7.11 beta 5 (and continuing with beta 6), LaunchBox Big Box Mode fails to display platform/playlist videos upon 1st boot from a shutdown state when a theme is applied.  For example:

I have the CityHunter theme applied.  I have a Playlist (Arcade Favorites) set as my default view upon launch.  I turn on my machine and it boots.  Windows will login and auto run the BigBox .exe (manually starting it for the 1st time results in the same issue).  My startup video plays fine.  BigBox Mode then opens and it'll do 1 of 2 things: it will display the Playlist with the theme, but NOT the platform/playlist video I have selected, or it'll open BigBox Mode to a completely black screen and sit there.  When the 2nd scenario happens, I can move the joystick and hear the sound or press buttons and hear the sound.  In either scenario, after 20 secs., BigBox Mode will shift to my games in the Arcade Favorites playlist and display everything properly.  I can then press back and go back to the Playlist screen; lo and behold, everything displays properly (theme and video).  If I then Exit BigBox Mode and go back to my desktop, and then back into BigBox Mode, everything runs perfectly fine.  If I restart the PC, and let it run through the login, BigBox Mode startup, etc., everything runs perfectly fine.  This problem only happens when a theme is applied and upon the 1st boot from a cold start.  If Default is used, none of this happens.

I have since reverted to the latest 7.10 official release, but the problem still exists.  It might be tied to the .NET Framework 4.7 update that beta 5 & 6 required, however, since the problem does NOT happen in Default and only with a theme, the investigation needs to be what does a theme do differently than Default to cause this issue (or what does .NET 4.7 not like about themes)?

Here's a link to my original BitBucket report on this bug: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3119/latest-beta-breaks-platform-videos

• 2 weeks later...

Well to be somewhat fair to certain people 20$ US converts to quite a lot of money in some countries. In some parts of the world 20$ US is a months pay. That of course doesn't justify it since there are free front ends out there so they can use those even though those other free options may not have the options that Launchbox.

I am actually more surprised that someone using a pirated license would be so "ballsy" as to post on the forums about why it no longer updates.

1 minute ago, y2j420 said:

Just for clarification, I thought a valid license grants you updates until the expiration date, and after the expiration date, you can still use the software, but not get any further updates.  Correct?

The license file this person was using / posted was a known license shared around the internet and was black listed to prevent it from being able to update.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, y2j420 said:

Just for clarification, I thought a valid license grants you updates until the expiration date, and after the expiration date, you can still use the software, but not get any further updates.  Correct?

Yes, you can continue to use LB and BB forever, you just need to renew to take advantage of updates.

I have multiple forever licenses. Just makes more sense economically and I absolutely love the product.