LaunchBox Community Forums

joy2key vs xpadder?

Kremlar

Just started using joy2key to get joystick support with Pac-Man Championship DX+ and it seems to work great.  I know lots of people recommend xpadder, but there was no way for me to download/try it before committing money and his web from used to initiate a purchase was very slow to send an email.  I eventually got it but it took hours.

In that time I found joy2key and got that setup.

However, before I go too far I'd love to hear from anyone who has used both and might be able to tell my any reasons why xpadder would be better.

I have 2 arcade sticks (connect via USB) that show up as Windows controllers (I believe they say G-Wiz).  I also use a USB to 4-port Gamecube adapter with controllers for Nintendo games.  I'd love to add light guns in the near future after I get everything else working well.

So, any opinions?  Joy2key equal to xpadder, or should I go with xpadder now?

I don't mind spending the money for either product.

Thanks in advance!

XPadder does not offer a free trial as far as I know, but there is an older, now freeware version (XPadder Version 5.3) on the internet which I've used and which would give you an idea of it's capabilities.
If you are prepared to pay for this type of software, then you might also like to check out Pinnacle Game Profiler which does offer a free uncrippled trial period. 

I've used all of them mentioned in this thread, and they are all comparable in terms of functionality, at least they were. I think xpadder is the most intuitive, but probably you should stick with what you're using now and don't worry about switching until you run into a particular issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I tried xpadder and while it's interface is really nice, especially with controller images,....it was very finnicky about auto-loading profiles, and I could never get it to work with rocketlauncher for keymapping specific games within the database.  Joy2Key ended up working perfectly with rocketlauncher, so that's the one I use now.  It's simple and straightforward and has most of the features you would ever need. 

Hmm i've never had trouble with which buttons do what.  Usually when you press a button on a controller it will highlight which controller it is on the tab.  If you have a lot then be sure to set the max controllers to a higher number and then refresh, there will be a bunch of tabs then.  Should highlight with a color when you hit a button, then you just go to that tab and set all the buttons.

I've used Joy2Key, Xpadder, Pinnacle Game Profiler, Controller Companion, and a few others, and I find Controller Companion to be the best mapper overall. However my LaunchBox setup relies on RocketLauncher for everything, and I use Joy2Key for mapping the guide button to RL's Pause menu, and it works great. Xpadder didn't work with the Xbox Guide button, I'm not sure if that has changed. I've never had issues with Joy2Key, it's extremely stable.

Since we're steering from the original topic just a bit, I do want to point out that in terms of featutes, the steam controller configuration is number one. It even comes with fully customizable radial menus, does like five different button activation methods (short and long pull, double tap) etc. It's incredible. It's comes with a price. As of right now it means that steam will have to be running at all times, and it tends to take over stuff you don't want it to.

48 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

It's comes with a price. As of right now it means that steam will have to be running at all times, and it tends to take over stuff you don't want it to.

That's my main reason for not using the Steam controller config. In fact, Steam has become so invasive with it's controller mapping system, that I have a script kill Steam before launching BigBox. 

They fixed the functionality that let's you turn it off for specific library items, so you don't have to kill it anymore to launch bigbox. Having said that, it may occasionally revert back to desktop configuration depending on what you launch with bigbox... so.... will you share the script? :D

Here's the script, it has kill commands for other programs in my system like RocketLauncher, and various emulators. You can edit the cmd file and add or remove any programs you want, the commands look like this:

Taskkill /F /IM JoyToKey.exe

And if you run the vbs file it will launch the cmd file invisible, so you don't have the command prompt popping up :)

Just put the 2 files in your LaunchBox directory and run Start_BB.vbs

Start_BB.cmd

Start_BB.vbs