LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's PCSX2 Configs / Simple 1-Click Installs With PCSX2 Configurator

Zombeaver

8 minutes ago, ALVASV said:

Sorry do you mean you already made a config for Killzone? I don’t see it on the github page.

No, I mean it's on the to-do list (along with lots of other stuff).

8 minutes ago, ALVASV said:

Thanks so much for these by the way. Your Ratchet & Clank config works great!

No problem! Glad to hear it!

I noticed that on some profiles you select the Full CRC Hack Level for OpenGL configurations. According to the description should this be set to Partial which is optimised for OpenGL, while Full is recommended for Direct3D?

Edited by Thornback

That's just the default. It doesn't hurt anything. In some cases it needs to be increased or decreased because certain hacks (that can either help or hurt, depending on the game) kick in at different levels. It enables or disables certain graphical effects that may or may not be emulated correctly (GL is technically a bit more accurate than D3D - though this only actually makes any difference in some cases - which is why it defaults to Partial rather than Full). It can have an impact on performance as well.

I'm curious if you have tried some of the no interlacing cheat codes on the pcsx2 forums. I just tried a few such as Sly Cooper and Ace Combat and it seemed to make a big improvement to the visuals not being as blurry with the upscaled resolutions on lcd monitors.

Nope, didn't know that was a thing. There isn't exactly a huge difference between them and just using Bob deinterlacing (which is already set in the configs where appropriate), but it does look a little bit better in some brief testing. One added benefit though would be that UI elements wouldn't have any jitter (which doesn't always happen with Bob deinterlacing, but it does in some games, in some cases that can be problematic to the point that I don't use Bob deinterlacing, like with Dark Cloud and Onimusha, which it looks like there are patches for). I'll try out some more and as long as I don't see anything behaving weirdly I can add them in. I'll just have to adjust the configs to disable deinterlacing and add the pnaches to github.

Auto (Blend):

image.thumb.png.d1846ce44d80372a2badeb9f90d8c035.pngBob tff (what's in the config):

image.thumb.png.33f105600df92e0b0e85382b0d649f00.pngNo interlacing patch:

image.thumb.png.76fab66ed4f933b0aafbb90e43dc47dd.png

• Like 1

So, most of the ones I've tried so far do seem like an improvement. Sly Cooper, Ace Combat 5, Ace Combat Zero, and Extermination all seem at least a bit better. Extermination especially because it was one where blurred depth of field elements sometimes had a bit of jitter from Bob deinterlacing.

A few of them I'm not really convinced are better off though.

As an example, take a look at Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance:

Auto (what's in the config):

image.thumb.png.4e47b74c1104ec86795c54460aa33eba.pngNo interlacing patch:

image.thumb.png.4bf8d3ea7570421ac2305189779033a9.pngThe game is marginally less blurry with a tradeoff of having pretty awful text. I don't think I would be inclined to make the change in this scenario, considering how much text you're going to be seeing in this game.

So, I guess just like all the rest, I'm just going to have to go through them all and make judgement calls on a case by case basis.

I also noticed one more thing with the no interlace patches. It has to match the crc of the game. For instance Tekken Tag Tournament has 2 revisions of the game which is 1.00 and 2.00. The patch will not work with the 2.00 revision but will with the 1.00 revision of the game. I was noticing when I checked the Show console option under the misc tab in the pcsx2 menu while the game was running that no cheats were loaded while playing the 2.00 revision so I switched to the 1.00 version and the no interlace cheats loaded correctly.

Yes, all pnaches are matched/loaded based on CRC ID (that's true for all of them, not just these patches). My guess is you could probably just duplicate that one and rename the duplicate to the correct ID for the updated version, I would assume it would still work. It shows the ID for the current game in the console.

Okay, so I spent the day testing a bunch of these and went through and added in the patches for a bunch of stuff. Thanks for putting me on to these @kmoney I'll be going back to that well as I add more stuff in the future.

The improvement varies from minor (games where Bob tff was already working well and there was little to no jitter in the UI etc.) to major (games like Dark Cloud and Wipeout Fusion where using Bob tff caused enough jitter in various game elements that I didn't use Bob, and stuck with blurry ol' Auto/Blend).

Now, something to keep in mind here - if you already have patches for these in your cheats folder, if you try to download these LB is going to throw up an error because the file already exists, and we don't want that. So go into your PCSX2\cheats folder and see what, if anything, is in there. Here is a list of all the patches that are included in the downloaded configs from github:

Spoiler

0AE679AF.pnach = no interlacing patch for Extermination
3E2A42FA.pnach = no interlacing patch for Rygar
4C2D1E6D.pnach = no interlacing patch for Wipeout Fusion
6BF11378.pnach = no interlacing patch for Onimusha 3
6F8545DB.pnach = no interlacing patch for Ico
8CF7CBC0.pnach = no interlacing patch for Maximo vs Army of Zin
9C71B59E.pnach = no interlacing patch for Psi-Ops
39B574F0.pnach = no interlacing patch for Ace Combat 5
72B3802A.pnach = no interlacing patch for Street Fighter EX3
339A0B8C.pnach = no interlacing patch for Fatal Frame
588CC41B.pnach = no interlacing patch for Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
767E383D.pnach = no interlacing patch for Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
9679D44C.pnach = no interlacing patch for Drakengard
951555A0.pnach = blur removal patch for Disgaea 2
0958556B.pnach = no interlacing patch for Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
5848889C.pnach = no interlacing patch for Onimusha 2
40372109.pnach = no interlacing patch for Fantavision
65729657.pnach = no interlacing patch for Ace Combat Zero
A5C05C78.pnach = no interlacing patch for Dark Cloud
A9461CB2.pnach = no interlacing patch for SkyGunner
AA4E5A35.pnach = no interlacing patch for Bloody Roar 3
BFCC3E7E.pnach = no interlacing patch for Shinobi
C77AF2CA.pnach = no interlacing patch for Sly Cooper
D382C164.pnach = progressive scan patch for SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2
D7273511.pnach = customized widescreen patch for SMT: Digital Devil Saga to re-enable shadows and use progressive scan
E8FCF8EC.pnach = progressive scan patch for SMT: Nocturne
FEE23E8F.pnach = no interlacing patch for The Bouncer

If any of these are present, you'll want to delete them before you download the config through the plugin. Chances are you won't have anything other than maybe the one for Disgaea 2 or SMT: Digital Devil Saga. The rest of them are new. You can leave Disgaea 2 alone if you want, that one hasn't changed. The SMT: Digital Devil Saga one has been changed though, to add in progressive scan mode.

Added no interlacing or progressive scan patches for:

Ace Combat 5
Ace Combat Zero
Bloody Roar 3
The Bouncer
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud
Drakengard
Extermination
Fantavision
Fatal Frame
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Maximo vs Army of Zin
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Psi-Ops
Rygar
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shinobi
SkyGunner
Sly Cooper
Street Fighter EX3
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
Wipeout Fusion

Not using no interlacing patches:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - has very little impact on the visuals other than making the text look terrible
Champions of Norrath - same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, same problem
Champions: Return to Arms - same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, same problem
Devil May Cry - the patch doesn't work consistently, sometimes it stops working correctly when picking up items and then you get a ton of screen jitter; Bob tff does a better/more consistent job

I'm also not using it for any of the games that are setup to use Software rendering, as I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I'll have to mess around with those some.

Other updates:

Changed sync mode back to Timestretch in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 because Async can break the music if you disable the framelimiter

Enabled MTVU for Fatal Frame

Enabled Round Sprite: Full in Onimusha 3 which fixes gaps between sprites in menus, but wasn't usable previously because it causes screen jitter when combined with Bob deinterlacing (this is a common issue when combining the two) - works perfectly when combined with the no interlacing patch instead

Changed sync mode to Async, interpolation to Hermite, and EE Cycle rate to 1 in Wipeout Fusion - gives a little bit better performance

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so round two on these.

Added no interlacing / progressive scan patches:

Devil Kings
God Hand
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Nightshade
Okage: Shadow King
Phantasy Star Generation: 1 (English Patched)
Phantasy Star Generation: 2 (English Patched)
Rumble Roses
Shadow Hearts
Soul Reaver 2
Tales of Legendia
Tekken Tag Tournament (v1.00 and v2.00)
Way of the Samurai
Whiplash

Big winners out of this batch are God Hand, Legaia 2, Rumble Roses, Tales of Legendia, and Way of the Samurai.

God Hand and Tales of Legendia are interesting because they don't actually jitter with no interlacing (I had them set to Auto, because it wasn't apparent that they needed to be changed, and Bob modes don't improve them) but the no interlacing patches clearly improve both of them. In the case of God Hand it cleans everything up and makes the game brighter (but not too bright, it actually looks too dark without it in hindsight). Tales of Legendia has a lot of artifacting that's cleaned up from the patch.

No Patch:

image.thumb.png.a8a1cc0a3934fd23155b728239582e9c.pngPatched:

image.thumb.png.f4548e95a08d2aba97336b0ff88308ff.pngNo Patch:

image.thumb.png.b2a0efdf61992a97e5c6bb75d0869699.pngPatched:

image.thumb.png.d7ba272ecc269ba7b05c3c07f1c1e67c.pngTested and not using no interlacing patches:

Armored Core 2 - FMVs jitter with the patch and don't with Bob deinterlacing and the difference in gameplay is negligible

Gregory Horror Show - FMVs jitter with the patch and don't with Bob deinterlacing and the difference in gameplay is negligible

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks - more of the 2D elements jitter with the patch than they do with Bob deinterlacing and the difference in gameplay is negligible

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - the game is visibly skipping frames as result of the patch, it's very obvious when swapping between it and normal + Bob tff. Bob tff doesn't cause any jitter in the game anyway, much better off with it than the patch.

Other updates:

Devil Kings: Changed from 6x scaling to 5x scaling and added FXAA - looks a little bit better and provides better performance, but you don't want to use 5x scaling with Bob tff as that creates a small amount of screen jitter itself (not an issue with the no interlacing patch though)

Legaia 2: Replaced TC Offset with Round Sprite: Half - text is perfect now. Round Sprite wasn't usable before because it causes a lot of screen jitter when combined with Bob deinterlacing (works fine with the no interlacing patch). Enabled FXAA because it doesn't have nearly as big of an impact on performance when combined with the no interlacing patch as it does with Bob tff deinterlacing.

Nightshade: Changed CRC hack level from Full to Aggressive - improves performance

Shadow Hearts: Enabled FXAA - doesn't have quite as much of an impact on performance with the no interlacing patch as it does with Bob deinterlacing

Tekken Tag Tournament: Removed skipdraw 1 | 5 that was in the config for reasons unknown - it wasn't listed on the sheet and it doesn't seem to do anything, so I don't think it was supposed to be there, so I removed it.

Way of the Samurai: Added Round Sprite: Full - fixes upscaling lines in text/UI; couldn't be used with Bob deinterlacing as it caused a lot of screen jitter (no issues with the no interlacing patch)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FangGuard said:

Sorry for the noob question... So are you using the 1.6.0? Or the 1.7.0 from orphis? If you are able, can you give the link for the version that you use. Thanks

I'm using regular ol' 1.6.0 at the moment.

• Thanks 1

I also posted a list of requests in the thread on the PCSX2 forums:

Armored Core: Silent Line
Armored Core 3
Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance
Bombastic
Bujingai: The Forsaken City
Chulip
Cocoto Fishing Master
Crimson Sea 2
Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
Dead to Rights
Disgaea 2
Downhill Domination
Eternal Ring
Flipnic
Haven: Call of the King
Jade Cocoon 2
The Mark of Kri
Michigan: Report From Hell
Onimusha: Warlords
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Reel Fishing III
Shadow of Rome
Spartan: Total Warrior
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
Tsugunai: Atonement
Twisted Metal: Black
Twisted Metal: Head-On
War of the Monsters
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
XGIII: Extreme G Racing

• Like 1

So I put an issue on Github a couple days ago for the game Nitrobike - it would consistently hang after a short amount of time - and it's now been fixed as of 1.7.0-dev-26 from a couple hours ago (hats off to refractionpcsx2 for fixing it so quickly!). So I was in the process of getting it setup and then did some testing and found that they've now changed from Xaudio 2.7 to Xaudio 2.8 in 1.7.0 dev builds which doesn't work in W7... though apparently 2.9 does. My only real option at the moment though would be to convert the SPU setting from Xaudio over to DirectSound for all the configs to maintain compatibility. I'm... not sure that I'm willing to do that just yet. I kinda feel like I'd rather stick with 1.6.0 for the moment as-is, and put Nitrobike on the backburner (and it is fixed now, I tested it) and see if they make any changes to the Xaudio implementation in future dev builds. I'm kindof surprised that their current default audio option breaks W7 compatibility. The option is there for those that want to play it now though, just be aware that if you're on W7 you're going to need to change your audio setting from Xaudio to DirectSound in the SPU plugin settings.

Actually, looks like they have no intention of implementing 2.9 so uh... DirectSound it is if you're on W7 and 1.7.0+. That's kindof disappointing. I find it a little bit dubious that they're unwilling to use 2.9 for an "EOL OS" but don't have a problem updating to a version of Xaudio that itself is apparently outdated... and breaks compatibility while they're at it...

"The OS is old, who cares?"
"Yeah but the newer version than what we're using supports that old OS."
"Too much work."
"Oh okay."

ea73b9109055ca5b220b292da5f672d3.jpg

I'd have to do some testing before I'd go as far as to just swap everything over across the board. I'll probably just stick with 1.6.0 for the time being and revisit that in the future.

New configs:

Downhill Domination
Ghosthunter
Gun
Reel Fishing III

One note about Reel Fishing III. If you already have it in your library, you'll need to rename it or rescrape it because it had an error in its title on the DB where there was an extra space at the end of it (so basically Reel Fishing III_ ) which the plugin does not like one bit and doesn't copy the files over correctly. Took me a bit to figure out what the hell was going on with it. I've had it corrected on the DB though so it's good to go now so long as you either rename it to remove the extra space or rescrape the DB.

image.thumb.png.3c24e4398d441c024cda25e2bac59bd6.png

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this, it's awesome its great to have all these various configs as it saves a lot of time.

Have been trying these for a while prior to the new updates.

Just tried shadow hearts with the updated config but now I'm getting flickering and shaking screen, any solution for this? Sorry if its simple.

Many thanks