LaunchBox Community Forums

I've been kinda silent here cause of work :/ but i had a bit of time again to work on my own frontend for launchbox called Massive (in size and hopefully in features sometime in the distant future :ph34r:)

Without further ado, here is a short pre pre pre alpha video: 

As you can see it's based on Unity3D and parses the xml's generated by launchbox.

Everything (3d models, textures, sounds etc.)  is loaded dynamically from easy to edit theme files (currently .ini based) .

Currently i haven't adjusted the platform files so most 3d models are rotated wrong.

I'll probably never release it cause bigbox but jason (who's seen a different version a while ago) said himself it wouldn't make bigbox obsolete (and it definately doesn't in it's current state :P)

But yeah this is my WIP Wii-Flow like launcher for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, IOS, Raspberry Pi etc. it runs on everything...

I'll keep working on it when i'm bored... only god (and maybe Jason 9_9) know when there will be 3d support in bigbox or bigbox for other platforms.

Edited by Izegod
my spelling and grammar suck and i hate myself for this reason, thank you for your attention :P
  • Like 2

Yes the talk of a 3D feature has all but dried up lately, I still would definitely put it top of my list of new features.... Maybe one day there will be a whole new version of the app released called "BigBox 3D" 

I actually dislike the way the 3D boxes look currently. It just never looks really correct. There's some aspect of it that always feels skewed a bit. I like having regular 2d boxes just front and back. But it's a great effort nonetheless. 

Just now, damageinc86 said:

I actually dislike the way the 3D boxes look currently. It just never looks really correct. There's some aspect of it that always feels skewed a bit. I like having regular 2d boxes just front and back. But it's a great effort nonetheless. 

Yeah that's more of a personal preference thing though. I us 3D boxes exclusively in my setup and I love them, each to there own as they say.

Thanks for the mostly nice feedback guys :D

I've already fixxed the fullscreen video issue and added fuzzy matching for the covers / textures and the reflective floor (optional shader).

The position & rotation of the boxes in the current wip massive theme are fully adjustable... you can put them flat on the ground for a more traditional coverflow if you want.

Fully rotatable arcades cabinets would be "possible" but i don't know if theres a universal marquee layout for the images.

Building 3d models for every arcade would be a) very time consuming and b) VERY hard on the system since i couldn't spawn just instances of one object with a different texture... which also means pooling wouldn't work...

So instead of ~10 3d models you'd have to keep THOUSANDS of 3d models ready for mame... not a good idea and loading them all on the fly.... eh... rip hdd / ssd xD

A little update:

implementing object pooling for the covers helped ALOT... as you can see in this video... i've increased the amount of covers from ~10 to infinite and it runs better than before as you can see by the enabled debug fps counter :D 

Now your 20000+ title collection from mame shouldn't bother it anymore ;)

• Like 2

@Rincewind sure. I use half spine covers in those videos, the same once used for wii flow.

I couldn't find full spine covers that also include the original side art but i guess this is a good compromise :)