LaunchBox Community Forums

Possible to integrate rocketlauncher into an already-existing launchbox collection?

candre23

I have watched and followed three separate youtube tutorials, and am unable to get rocketlauncher working with launchbox.  Each tutorial seems based around the premise that you are starting from scratch and importing the ROMs with rocketlauncher as the emulator.  I already have launchbox fully set up and my roms imported and set up to use emualtors directly.  Although I have added rocketlauncher as an emulator, I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch my existing collections to using rocketlauncher instead of the emulator they were initially linked to.  I tried making rocketlauncher the default emulator for my platforms, but that just makes it fail to run at all.

Please forgive me if I give you any incorrect information here because I don't use RocketLauncher but I believe you need to add your roms to RocketLauncher, hopefully someone can correct me on that one if it is wrong.

You will also need to change the emulator for all your games in a platform to use RocketLauncher using the bulk edit tool. Select all the games in a given platform using Control + A and then with all the games selected press Control + E to bring up the bulk edit tool. Then from there select Emulator from the drop down menu for what you want to change and then in the 2nd dropdown menu select RocketLauncher. This will change all your games to use RocketLauncher. The check box to set an emulator as default is only for the rom import process.

go to a platform and click a game then hit ctrl+a to highlight all games then hit ctl+e to open the bulk editor then change the emulator to rocketlauncher you can do this for each platform whose emulator you want to change to RocketLauncher.

lol didn't get a notification that someone else had answered this.

• Like 1

@Lordmonkus is correct. In order to get Rocketlauncher to work with Launchbox you still have to set up all your games and settings directly in Rocketlauncher first if you have not already done so. Than once complete there you can bulk edit the rom path in Launchbox for the games to Rocketlauncher it will then launch with Rocketlauncher as the emulator. 

Edited by Retro808

9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

go to a platform and click a game then hit ctrl+a to highlight all games then hit ctl+e to open the bulk editor then change the emulator to rocketlauncher you can do this for each platform whose emulator you want to change to RocketLauncher.

Ah-ha!  That did it!

I knew there had to be a way to change it that didn't involve modifying every single game.  I would have thought it would be under "manage platform" and was going bonkers not finding it there.

Thanks for the help.

I was going to suggest "that's so cool, there should be a button for that!"  But now I see that the regular edit button launches the bulk edit widget when you have multiple games selected.  This is very slick, and good to know.

If I could make an alternate suggestion, it would be to have the edit button text change to "Bulk Edit" when multiple games are selected to publicize this functionality.

8 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The bulk edit tool is one of the few features of Launchbox that is somewhat hidden if you don't know it's there.

Maybe that should be added to the "Small Things" list. A option in tools or manage platforms to bulk edit the currently selected platform? Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, I found a nice tutorial of setting up rocketlauncher with an already configured launchbox.  It helped me out a lot but I think I still have a lot to learn. This video is not mine

Youtube

These programs that expect media in a certain location is driving me crazy.  I probably have close to 75 symbolic links on my drive now!

Edited by Aevans0001

There's only really a short list of steps to this process.

• Set up rocketlauncher to have launchbox as the active and default fronted, pointing it to LB
  • Add rocketlauncher as the emulator in LB / bulk edit all games to use rocketlauncher as the emulator
  • close launchbox and then open rlui, and all the systems should be populated on the left.
  • edit each system to use your emulator (select appropriate module matching the emulator "brand", rom file path, rom extension, etc.)
  • games from launchbox should show in the game tab using the audit button.  from there you can test launch games to see if they work properly
  • now that RL launches stuff, LB can launch stuff!

Edited by damageinc86

yeah that gets the games working, however to setup the pause menu it looks a little daunting, and again they want those manuals named a certain way and located in a certain place.  Hopefully with @Jason Carr integrating LB with RL he can fix that issue with his awesome "ignore whats in ()" matching, or he can add a different function to autorename the media by the title of the rom.

2 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

yeah that gets the games working, however to setup the pause menu it looks a little daunting, and again they want those manuals named a certain way and located in a certain place.  Hopefully with @Jason Carr integrating LB with RL he can fix that issue with his awesome "ignore whats in ()" matching, or he can add a different function to autorename the media by the title of the rom.

Move manual dir to rocket launcher or vice versa.

Right now way RL and LB handles artwork is different so you can not use both dir as same. At least from my point of view. Adding RL is easy I did it to al my games you point it to LB and it knows all your games location. You do not need to do anything to games. Just to emulator set up etc fade / pause / bezels.

• 5 years later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:04 PM, Aevans0001 said:

Just to let everyone know, I found a nice tutorial of setting up rocketlauncher with an already configured launchbox.  It helped me out a lot but I think I still have a lot to learn. This video is not mine

Youtube

These programs that expect media in a certain location is driving me crazy.  I probably have close to 75 symbolic links on my drive now!

Do you have the video you used handy? The link is not up no more ? Would love to see it so i can setup mine as well? 

On 2/13/2018 at 8:21 AM, MrBrac said:

Right now way RL and LB handles artwork is different so you can not use both dir as same. At least from my point of view. Adding RL is easy I did it to al my games you point it to LB and it knows all your games location. You do not need to do anything to games. Just to emulator set up etc fade / pause / bezels.

Hi do you have a tutorial for this on how you set it up?