LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I have to mention that I face a strange problem with VLC that is exclusive to Big Box and didn't happen with the stable version. I actually didn't experience it with previous beta versions either but it could be coincidence since it's quite random but will eventually happen after a few minutes.

A VLC window keeps popping up (regardless of which theme is used), making Big Box to lose focus and I have to click anywhere in order to focus back to Big Box. Not a huge deal but quite annoying, especially for my arcade build.

Default.thumb.jpg.756ede1dd8ca100d0729ab8de1cc13ca.jpg

I already made a separate topic about it here:

I changed those settings via the VLC GUI (both x64 and x86) but didn't change that behaviour. It feels like VLC tries to pop-out of Big Box and strangely enough, it's happening even with WMP is set as the media player.

Could it be something on vlc.cfg that could be changed? I don't see any Direct2D options though...

1 hour ago, matchaman said:

I changed those settings via the VLC GUI (both x64 and x86) but didn't change that behaviour. It feels like VLC tries to pop-out of Big Box and strangely enough, it's happening even with WMP is set as the media player.

Could it be something on vlc.cfg that could be changed? I don't see any Direct2D options though...

Yes, it could be fixable by editing vlc.cfg. Nothing has changed on the Big Box stack at all recently with videos, so I'm guessing somehow something changed on your system. VLC is used to play music, so I'm guessing that's probably why it's still happening. Maybe see if you can find instructions on completely removing all versions of VLC from your system, including settings?

Beta 18 is out now with the following:

• Hopeful fix for .Next videos playing in the background while playing games
  • Increased controller dead zone in .Next to match OG LaunchBox (loose 360 controllers were drifting)
  • Music in .Next should now pause when clicking on a video to play it
  • Hopeful final fix for .Next controller-related crash
  • Hopeful fix for strange .Next "game launching with a single click on focus" issue

We're finally at release candidate status with this beta. If you can comment on any of the above fixes, please do. :)

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Single clicking on a game after a window on another screen is still causing the game to launch for me Jason (beta 18). It also happens when I exit Retroarch (on the same monitor) and then single click on another game - it loads up again!

Are you sure this is because of Launchbox? Do you have this outside of Launchbox as well some times? I ask this because I've gone through many mice in case this could help you: Once they start double clicking on their own the spring of the buttons are wearing out (there are tutorials how to fix them but I never managed to do so), I have had this problem a lot and only found out what the cause after many mice lol I don't buy expensive mice anymore as they have the exact same problem as cheap ones.

Just happens in Launchbox and not noticed this anywhere else. The mouse is fine :) Good thought though.

The other thing that is still happening is that when I double click on a game to load in Launchbox, Launchbox quickly jumps to the next game before the (correct) one is loaded.

Edited by Dan

46 minutes ago, Dan said:

Single clicking on a game after a window on another screen is still causing the game to launch for me Jason (beta 18). It also happens when I exit Retroarch (on the same monitor) and then single click on another game - it loads up again!

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just happens in Launchbox and not noticed this anywhere else. The mouse is fine :) Good thought though.

The other thing that is still happening is that when I double click on a game to load in Launchbox, Launchbox quickly jumps to the next game before the (correct) one is loaded.

Okay, so confirmed that the "game launching with single click on focus" issue is still there. I'll take a look at this further. I may still proceed with the release though if all the other issues are fixed.

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

If you're using a MouseMove AHK script, that's what's causing it. I mentioned this to Jason a couple days ago. The change in behavior is new to Next, but a workaround is to add in a short sleep delay in the script.

Sleep, 2000
MouseMove, 1920, 1080, 0

(1920 and 1080 being adjusted to whatever your screen resolution is)

1 minute ago, cammelspit said:

With a mouse scroll wheel. Also, even after letting the cache build, there is no change at all. Just so you know.

Okay, either there's a performance issue with 50,000-long games lists, or your hardware is showing it's age, or both. It's probably been a while since I've tested .Next with a list of games that long, in all honesty. Can you PM me your Data folder so I can test?

52 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

If you're using a MouseMove AHK script, that's what's causing it. I mentioned this to Jason a couple days ago. The change in behavior is new to Next, but a workaround is to add in a short sleep delay in the script.

Sleep, 2000
MouseMove, 1920, 1080, 0

(1920 and 1080 being adjusted to whatever your screen resolution is)

Oh yeah, this one is pretty interesting. Not sure what I can do about it, but I'll add it to my list.

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thanks for the advice regarding the sleep command - I will try it. Also, in relation to the large games lists, I too would be keen to help ensure that Launchbox can handle big lists, as I am planning to try and import a 300,000+ flash games library into it!

Madness, one step beyond! ?

I can also confirm that the single-click launch bug is still around. Honestly the only reason it's a big deal for me is that whenever I delete a game, I have to manually delete the video associated with it. I wish Launchbox had an option to delete all associated media when you delete a game, it'd make my life a lot easier.

Has anyone else had issues where when you scroll up or down with the mouse wheel in .Next , it seems to go slower than in OG Launchbox?

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, it could be fixable by editing vlc.cfg. Nothing has changed on the Big Box stack at all recently with videos, so I'm guessing somehow something changed on your system. VLC is used to play music, so I'm guessing that's probably why it's still happening. Maybe see if you can find instructions on completely removing all versions of VLC from your system, including settings?

I completely removed VLC and its settings, downloaded several 2.x.x versions of VLC and replaced it, messed with vlc.cfg settings... the crazy little window keeps appearing! :(

I noticed that its icon is that of Big Box so I assume that VLC within the software becomes "part of it" in some way?

partofit.thumb.jpg.eb788ee96590d6d2e78204e713e95755.jpg

What should be noted is that VLC's popup appears unrelated to a music track ending, it's usually anywhere in the middle of playback.

Edited by matchaman

59 minutes ago, matchaman said:

I completely removed VLC and its settings, downloaded several 2.x.x versions of VLC and replaced it, messed with vlc.cfg settings... the crazy little window keeps appearing! :(

I noticed that its icon is that of Big Box so I assume that VLC within the software becomes "part of it" in some way?

partofit.thumb.jpg.eb788ee96590d6d2e78204e713e95755.jpg

What should be noted is that VLC's popup appears unrelated to a music track ending, it's usually anywhere in the middle of playback.

Ugh. All I can figure is that a driver or Windows update occurred that somehow created a glitch in VLC. Maybe try looking to see what updates were installed recently or if anything was changed. Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about that particular issue, since it's a VLC bug and it seems to be unique to your machine (it would take me forever to dive into VLC's codebase to try and fix it). I will look to update VLC here soon though, so that may or may not fix the issue.

I did some heavy work on performance in .Next today, and I have improved the performance quite a bit for very large lists (like 50,000). I improved things in a number of areas, but I learned that the WPF custom theming engine that we use (same engine we use for Big Box that I plan to open up for .Next soon) does reduce performance a bit when loading such a large number of "views" (each box/game is a separate view). I don't really have a solution to that, but I did improve the performance by quite a bit. We may have to provide an option to disable that feature for the crazy folks who want hundreds of thousands of games; we'll see.

I worked on the focus/launch game bug as well, but it's causing me all kinds of problems. I'll come back to that tomorrow. Should have another beta out some time tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Gudine said:

Whenever I move between games with the arrow keys, a white line seems to show up on the top of the box.
image.png.1da7f44fa211f1690f142faf43aa7c6c.png

The line is there on purpose to show keyboard focus; however, somehow your custom spacing settings have put it in an odd place. Try adjusting your spacing settings to see what might be causing it.