LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.4-beta-1 Released

3 hours ago, cammelspit said:

Just updated to the latest beta, way more laggy than the last several releases. I'll admit, I haven't used it for the last two or three beta releases but as of this last update at least, it has gotten rather bad. Here is a video, it's easier than trying to explain it and you should be able to see what I mean. At least the CPU usage seems to come down when not scrolling when before it would like to lock at 100% and just sit there indefinitely. Anyways thought I would let you know this since I have an uncommonly massive library so this might not manifest for some users. BTW, I used the 'all' platform category because it illustrates it better but I do have some single platforms that behave similarly just not quite as bad. Otherwise, happy to finally be able to make LB go right to LBN instead of Launchbox Classic as next is still much MUCH better in a lot of ways. Thanks!

Hopefully things will be a lot smoother once the background caching completes (as noted by the progress bar at the top). Are you scrolling the whole time in the All view in that video? Or just line by line?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Hopefully things will be a lot smoother once the background caching completes (as noted by the progress bar at the top). Are you scrolling the whole time in the All view in that video? Or just line by line?

The whole time. I don't necessarily hate having a placeholder scroll by while the image loads but it just freezes up and hitches, which is the real issue since you can't browse the games library effectively. I just imagine my LB screaming at me 'NOOOO GOD PLEASE NOOOO! TOOO MUUUUUUUUCH!!! AAAhhhhh!!!' lol. 😝

16 hours ago, cammelspit said:

The whole time. I don't necessarily hate having a placeholder scroll by while the image loads but it just freezes up and hitches, which is the real issue since you can't browse the games library effectively. I just imagine my LB screaming at me 'NOOOO GOD PLEASE NOOOO! TOOO MUUUUUUUUCH!!! AAAhhhhh!!!' lol. 😝

Are you scrolling with the mouse wheel or a game controller?

Beta 17 is out now; thanks to @neil9000 we've discovered that the remaining crashes in .Next were being caused by game controllers (or the game controller code), at least for him. Still confirming with @Zombeaver and @Retro808 that their issues are the same. This beta adds some more logging related to game controllers so that we can better troubleshoot it going forward. There's also a minor controllers fix that might resolve some issues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to mention that I face a strange problem with VLC that is exclusive to Big Box and didn't happen with the stable version. I actually didn't experience it with previous beta versions either but it could be coincidence since it's quite random but will eventually happen after a few minutes.

A VLC window keeps popping up (regardless of which theme is used), making Big Box to lose focus and I have to click anywhere in order to focus back to Big Box. Not a huge deal but quite annoying, especially for my arcade build.

Default.thumb.jpg.756ede1dd8ca100d0729ab8de1cc13ca.jpg

I already made a separate topic about it here:

@matchaman A quick google search found a bunch of related posts to this and VLC users. Looks to be a bug in VLC itself. Here is one example it is a bit older thread but there were more recent one in the search. Not sure if any of this will help you. 

I changed those settings via the VLC GUI (both x64 and x86) but didn't change that behaviour. It feels like VLC tries to pop-out of Big Box and strangely enough, it's happening even with WMP is set as the media player.

Could it be something on vlc.cfg that could be changed? I don't see any Direct2D options though...

1 hour ago, matchaman said:

I changed those settings via the VLC GUI (both x64 and x86) but didn't change that behaviour. It feels like VLC tries to pop-out of Big Box and strangely enough, it's happening even with WMP is set as the media player.

Could it be something on vlc.cfg that could be changed? I don't see any Direct2D options though...

Yes, it could be fixable by editing vlc.cfg. Nothing has changed on the Big Box stack at all recently with videos, so I'm guessing somehow something changed on your system. VLC is used to play music, so I'm guessing that's probably why it's still happening. Maybe see if you can find instructions on completely removing all versions of VLC from your system, including settings?

Beta 18 is out now with the following:

• Hopeful fix for .Next videos playing in the background while playing games
  • Increased controller dead zone in .Next to match OG LaunchBox (loose 360 controllers were drifting)
  • Music in .Next should now pause when clicking on a video to play it
  • Hopeful final fix for .Next controller-related crash
  • Hopeful fix for strange .Next "game launching with a single click on focus" issue

We're finally at release candidate status with this beta. If you can comment on any of the above fixes, please do. :)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Single clicking on a game after a window on another screen is still causing the game to launch for me Jason (beta 18). It also happens when I exit Retroarch (on the same monitor) and then single click on another game - it loads up again!

Edited by Dan

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Single clicking on a game after a window on another screen is still causing the game to launch for me Jason (beta 18). It also happens when I exit Retroarch (on the same monitor) and then single click on another game - it loads up again!

Are you sure this is because of Launchbox? Do you have this outside of Launchbox as well some times? I ask this because I've gone through many mice in case this could help you: Once they start double clicking on their own the spring of the buttons are wearing out (there are tutorials how to fix them but I never managed to do so), I have had this problem a lot and only found out what the cause after many mice lol I don't buy expensive mice anymore as they have the exact same problem as cheap ones.

Posted (edited)

Just happens in Launchbox and not noticed this anywhere else. The mouse is fine :) Good thought though.

The other thing that is still happening is that when I double click on a game to load in Launchbox, Launchbox quickly jumps to the next game before the (correct) one is loaded.

Edited by Dan

46 minutes ago, Dan said:

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Just happens in Launchbox and not noticed this anywhere else. The mouse is fine :) Good thought though.

The other thing that is still happening is that when I double click on a game to load in Launchbox, Launchbox quickly jumps to the next game before the (correct) one is loaded.

Okay, so confirmed that the "game launching with single click on focus" issue is still there. I'll take a look at this further. I may still proceed with the release though if all the other issues are fixed.

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

If you're using a MouseMove AHK script, that's what's causing it. I mentioned this to Jason a couple days ago. The change in behavior is new to Next, but a workaround is to add in a short sleep delay in the script.

Sleep, 2000
MouseMove, 1920, 1080, 0

(1920 and 1080 being adjusted to whatever your screen resolution is)

23 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Are you scrolling with the mouse wheel or a game controller?

With a mouse scroll wheel. Also, even after letting the cache build, there is no change at all. Just so you know.

1 minute ago, cammelspit said:

With a mouse scroll wheel. Also, even after letting the cache build, there is no change at all. Just so you know.

Okay, either there's a performance issue with 50,000-long games lists, or your hardware is showing it's age, or both. It's probably been a while since I've tested .Next with a list of games that long, in all honesty. Can you PM me your Data folder so I can test?

52 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

If you're using a MouseMove AHK script, that's what's causing it. I mentioned this to Jason a couple days ago. The change in behavior is new to Next, but a workaround is to add in a short sleep delay in the script.

Sleep, 2000
MouseMove, 1920, 1080, 0

(1920 and 1080 being adjusted to whatever your screen resolution is)

Oh yeah, this one is pretty interesting. Not sure what I can do about it, but I'll add it to my list.

Thanks for the advice regarding the sleep command - I will try it. Also, in relation to the large games lists, I too would be keen to help ensure that Launchbox can handle big lists, as I am planning to try and import a 300,000+ flash games library into it!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thanks for the advice regarding the sleep command - I will try it. Also, in relation to the large games lists, I too would be keen to help ensure that Launchbox can handle big lists, as I am planning to try and import a 300,000+ flash games library into it!

Madness, one step beyond! 😂

I can also confirm that the single-click launch bug is still around. Honestly the only reason it's a big deal for me is that whenever I delete a game, I have to manually delete the video associated with it. I wish Launchbox had an option to delete all associated media when you delete a game, it'd make my life a lot easier.

Has anyone else had issues where when you scroll up or down with the mouse wheel in .Next , it seems to go slower than in OG Launchbox?