LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

Think ideally a port of the BezelProject script for Retropie to use in Windows is better. This means you run it and it downloads the cfgs and artwork, and places them in the right directories for Windows, right?

That said, the tool would also need to change the paths inside the cfgs to the proper ones for Retroarch on Windows.

Do you think this is doable?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

• Like 1

I figured it out as well guys... you can use rocket launcher. You'll want to use two command scripts to make the files renamed to bezel and a way to copy your ini file to each folder. You'll also want files to folders to drop themselves into folders before you rename things. EASY! Thank you!

I noticed a few folders didn't have pngs in them under the bezel folder.

Do you have N64 bezels for example? Great work btw!

--after you have folders for each game and the files are in their folder,use this to drop an ini file in each folder in your directory

for /r "E:\Arcade-PC\hyperspin\Emulators\Romfiles\_To_Do\_projects\bezel\nes\FM_Renamed" %i in (.) do @copy "E:\Arcade-PC\hyperspin\Emulators\Romfiles\_To_Do\_projects\bezel\nes\FM_Renamed\bezel.ini" "%i\bezel.ini"

--, use this to rename to bezel.png
cd "E:\Arcade-PC\hyperspin\Emulators\Romfiles\_To_Do\_projects\bezel\nes\FM_Renamed"
for /f "delims=*" %a in ('dir *.png /b /s') do ren "%a" Bezel.png

• Like 1

Spoiler

Hi Coinjunkie, i've recently uploaded about 1800+ bezels in Launchbox and emumovies for direct use within mame (lay.file included in each file) 

Theres two version for each rom "real Glass" and "Clear Glass" effect.

I made these specifically for use by people with 16:9 ratio TV's.

Dunno if they are any good for your project. 

Theres also a template file that I uploaded for others to use in Gimp to setup their own bezels. 

Adam

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 2:38 PM, Reevesad said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hi Coinjunkie, i've recently uploaded about 1800+ bezels in Launchbox and emumovies for direct use within mame (lay.file included in each file) 

Theres two version for each rom "real Glass" and "Clear Glass" effect.

I made these specifically for use by people with 16:9 ratio TV's.

Dunno if they are any good for your project. 

Theres also a template file that I uploaded for others to use in Gimp to setup their own bezels. 

Adam

Hey Adam, that's awesome! I'd love to check them out!

6 hours ago, CoinJunkie said:

Hey Adam, that's awesome! I'd love to check them out!

Hi Coinjunkie,

All uploaded onto Launchbox under the "Forums-Downloads-Platform-Platform media-Platform Bezels/Overlays" section.

Majority of which were from bezels found on the internet, some were reworked. Mainly the NeoGeo arcade ones (the ones with the red bezel and just the neo geo box cover). They were all pretty much the same to me, so I made bezels with just the box artwork. The bezels I had missing for other mame roms I made using box artwork, flyers, banners ect found on the internet.

Obviously, with some of the arcade games being made years ago+with Korean, Japanese, Chinese Games and clones, Theres not much artwork to be found so I did make 12 generic bezels (6 Horizontal 4:3 ratio and 6 Vertical 3:4 ratio) for missing artwork. These were made to just look like an arcade machine bezel within an actual arcade (see attached pics vertical and horizontal). 

The other two pics (Track n' Field) are to show the two versions of bezels that I made "clear glass" and "real glass" effect. The real glass effect gives it that original arcade CRT screen feel to it. 

Regards, Adam

real_glass.png

vert_real_glass.png

20180305_095505.jpg

20180305_095536.jpg

• Like 1

Hey all,

I've been working on a plugin for applying these bezels to the windows Retroarch installation within LaunchBox.

Basic functionality:

• Download latest content for selected system from the Bezel Project Github repository.
  • Edit the configuration files (from retropie to windows) and copy all appropriate files to the Retroarch core emulator config and overlay folders.
  • Enjoy..

This would be for people who do not use Rocket Launcher (like me) or any other middleware.

Like the Bezel Project, this plugin is a work in progress.  I am looking for a couple of people to help test if anyone is interested.  I'll check back in a day or so to see if there are any takers...

Here is a demo video showing it in action using the Atari 7800 repository from the Bezel Project.

In this demo I startup a few Atari 7800 games to show those games without bezel artwork. Then use the plugin to install the Atari 7800 bezels pack.  Then restart those games to show the bezels were installed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/7/2018 at 1:34 AM, Ateb said:

Hey all,

I've been working on a plugin for applying these bezels to the windows Retroarch installation within LaunchBox.

Basic functionality:

• Download latest content for selected system from the Bezel Project Github repository.
  • Edit the configuration files (from retropie to windows) and copy all appropriate files to the Retroarch core emulator config and overlay folders.
  • Enjoy..

This would be for people who do not use Rocket Launcher (like me) or any other middleware.

Like the Bezel Project, this plugin is a work in progress.  I am looking for a couple of people to help test if anyone is interested.  I'll check back in a day or so to see if there are any takers...

Here is a demo video showing it in action using the Atari 7800 repository from the Bezel Project.

In this demo I startup a few Atari 7800 games to show those games without bezel artwork. Then use the plugin to install the Atari 7800 bezels pack.  Then restart those games to show the bezels were installed.

Would love to have got involved, but unfortunately a few weeks after I'd created all those bezels my Hard drive decided to commit suicide. And just before I was due to back up everything to another drive. Sod's law. 

So I'm back to square one at the moment. Replaced the hard drive and updated my Graphics card about a month or so ago and still haven't had the mojo to start it all again.

Plus I'm still undecided whether to build another launchbox gaming machine or use the pc to build a Virtual Pinball machine.

I was frustrated by not having overlays on GCE Vextrex, and I found a way to use individual overlays on each game.
After that was done, I tried The Bezel Project, and found they are already setup.

Here is how i did it.... (I prefer doing it from the start so anyone with a fresh install can do it)

I use Notepad++ to multi edit all configs.
I'm using Atari7800 in this example.
Since I like my configs to be squeaky clean, I start by disabling Save on Exit

It can be done by setting this line in retroarch.cfg (change from true to false)
config_save_on_exit = "false"

Download and unzip the system you are using.
Copy the two folders config and overlay of the systemrom:

TheBezelProject\bezelproject-Atari7800-master\retroarch\config
TheBezelProject\bezelproject-Atari7800-master\retroarch\overlay

Place them in this folder: (or your Retroarch folder if you have put it somewhere else)

LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\

Create a config file for Atari7800 inside this folder:

LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\config

I call mine "Atari 7800.cfg"
Edit the file and paste in this:

input_overlay = ":\overlay\Atari-7800.cfg"
input_overlay_enable = "true"
video_shader = ":\shaders\shaders_cg\crt\crt-lottes-multipass.cgp"
video_shader_enable = "true"
aspect_ratio_index = "23"
custom_viewport_height = "1073"
custom_viewport_width = "1435"
custom_viewport_x = "242"
custom_viewport_y = "3"
input_overlay_opacity = "1.000000"
video_font_enable = "false"
config_save_on_exit = "false"
video_fullscreen = "true"
input_overlay_hide_in_menu = "false"
xmb_alpha_factor = "0"
core_options_path = """
video_rotation = "0"

The viewports now work for all games as well as the default system overlay. I prefere setting it here.
If you use a different overlay for the system you will have to set the viewport in each game cfg.

The shader, is my prefered, if you dont like it, delete the 2 lines or change it.

video_shader = ":\shaders\shaders_cg\crt\crt-lottes-multipass.cgp"
video_shader_enable = "true"

In Launchbox -> Manage Emulators -> Retroarch -> Associated Platforms -> Atari 7800 -> Extra Command-Line Parameters, type the following:
(Just edit your path, mine is H:LaunchBox, yours may be in another folder.)

-c "H:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\config\Atari 7800.cfg"

That will make Retroarch use the specific config for that system.

If you want Escape as exit key, also edit the AutoHotkey Script and add:

$Esc::
{
    WinClose, ahk_class RetroArch
}

Now edit all the .cfg files in this folder (open them in Notepad++)

RetroArch\config\ProSystem

Replace the following text:

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlay/GameBezels/Atari7800/

With this text:

:\overlay\GameBezels\Atari7800\

Apply to all open documents. Save All. Close All.

Now edit all the .cfg files in this folder (open them in Notepad++)

RetroArch\overlay\GameBezels\Atari7800

Replace the following text with nothing:   (so only the gamename.png is left)

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlay/GameBezels/Atari7800/

Apply to all open documents. Save All. Close All.

Ready to test... You should now have unique overlays for each game or the system overlay if it is missing.

Edited by Cirion
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 9:40 PM, Cirion said:

FBA uses mame games... If the game is in The Bezel Project - MAME, then use that bezel. 

Yes you right ! ?

On 10/7/2018 at 2:34 AM, Ateb said:

Hey all,

Basic functionality:

• Enjoy..

Ready to help if you need :)
@Ateb

Edited by wildpumpk1n
Add another answer

You can go here to download manually  ->   https://github.com/thebezelproject?tab=repositories

Click on the system that you want bezels for and then click on the green button and download the zip file.

Not all systems have bezel artwork yet.

Keep in mind that the config files in these zip files are setup for Retro Pi.

Edited by Ateb
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally (after years of big man talk) building a dedicated emulation box running on windows.  

I'm installing each emulator separately... should I just install and run retroarch, and let that manage my emulator install/configs? Then I can use ( with changes ) these bezel packs? I've been building a few pi's for christmas presents and using the bezelpack script... playing games with the bezel pack, and the crt curvature scanlines.... it is a game changer for the older systems. Looking to replicate that experiance in a windows build... preferrably without having to manually match 1000's of files to it's bezel artwork. 

Another question, how are you guys matching the file names to the rom files? Are you doing an instr? Or are you splitting each filename on spaces, then putting them in an array then searching that way?  

Let me know if you need any vbs/bat/vba nonsense... been doing it for 20 years. 

Edited by OGControllersOrBust