LaunchBox Community Forums

PASC CE (Wip) Editor - video update

y2guru

I would like to do a livestream in a few weeks though, let the latest beta version of BigBox settle down and for me to basically finish off some of the large remaining items on my list.  

So instead of a Show and Tell, it would be "You" tell and I "Show"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Sounds good , please let us know a few days in advance so we can make plans :)

the new icons and guide lines are great too.

Cheers Rince, I'll probably give a weeks notice ? and what would be the best streaming method?  YouTube, Twitch ? (I generally used Twitch in the past)

I seriously cannot wait for PASC CE to be released! This will be such a useful tool and bring so much to the Launchbox community.

Keep up the good work and thanks for creating it!

(But please, please, please don't get bogged down on "feature creep". Even the current set of features you have shown off are good enough for a v1.0 release... albeit I'm sure you still have work to do on the back end for all sorts of basic framework stuff like saving themes, creating new themes, etc. etc.  - i.e. all the "unfun" stuff to program LOL
Just remember you can always add features in updates and it's better to release feature light then get burnt out trying to cram everything in the first pass ;) )

Anyway very much looking forward to it! :D 

35 minutes ago, JRavens said:

I seriously cannot wait for PASC CE to be released! This will be such a useful tool and bring so much to the Launchbox community.

Keep up the good work and thanks for creating it!

(But please, please, please don't get bogged down on "feature creep". Even the current set of features you have shown off are good enough for a v1.0 release... albeit I'm sure you still have work to do on the back end for all sorts of basic framework stuff like saving themes, creating new themes, etc. etc.  - i.e. all the "unfun" stuff to program LOL
Just remember you can always add features in updates and it's better to release feature light then get burnt out trying to cram everything in the first pass ;) )

Anyway very much looking forward to it! :D 

you sound like a developer.... I will not get stuck in feature creep, to be honest I simply don't have time as 1) this is just my hobby and 2) my wife wants me to finish it ?   

Anyway.. I appreciate the kind words and I cannot wait to finish this and share it with the creative community (plus use it myself)  

I'm planning on creating another video or I may even livestream (which I am very open to)

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

you sound like a developer.... I will not get stuck in feature creep, to be honest I simply don't have time as 1) this is just my hobby and 2) my wife wants me to finish it ?   

Anyway.. I appreciate the kind words and I cannot wait to finish this and share it with the creative community (plus use it myself)  

I'm planning on creating another video or I may even livestream (which I am very open to)

LOL indeed I've had some... lets call it personal experience with projects spiraling out of control :D but no hats off to you for doing the heavy lifting.
I don't have the brain power to develop something as complex as you are putting together with PASC.

Having said that I am a HUGE advocate of software that aids in getting past technical hurdles. I absolutely love tinkering with things and very much enjoy the creative process (don't we all here?!? ;) ).
So this looks *fantastic* . Surely will solve the itch to take all sorts of ideas from various themes to create the perfect personalized theme / experience. 

#2 on your list will play a larger factor than #1 (also from personal experience)

Can't wait to see more. ? 

50 minutes ago, JRavens said:

LOL indeed I've had some... lets call it personal experience with projects spiraling out of control :D but no hats off to you for doing the heavy lifting.
I don't have the brain power to develop something as complex as you are putting together with PASC.

Having said that I am a HUGE advocate of software that aids in getting past technical hurdles. I absolutely love tinkering with things and very much enjoy the creative process (don't we all here?!? ;) ).
So this looks *fantastic* . Surely will solve the itch to take all sorts of ideas from various themes to create the perfect personalized theme / experience. 

#2 on your list will play a larger factor than #1 (also from personal experience)

Can't wait to see more. ? 

Sound like a BA, QA or Project Manager ?

I just wanted to put something together that would allow someone with no programming skills to just get something up and running quickly using whatever media they have at their disposal, or... for those users that have tinkered with XAML but get frustrated with their themes not working on various resolutions.

#2 fortunately for me,  my wife is pretty cool about this and knows how much I enjoy doing this stuff so I get to work on this while she watches her Thai drama tv shows hahahaha

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, y2guru said:

Progress update and unfortunately another 40+ minute video, but 20 minutes are spent demonstrating how to replicate the basic look and feel of @faeran Illuminate Theme, so it is quite informative.

It's official.... This is now a code generator!

I'm pausing coding my new theme till you release this absolute treasure! Count me in as well for beta testing :)

8 minutes ago, qu1r0s said:

Oh man, this is all i ever wanted!! ? i've been trying to learn how to make a theme for 2 years! but everything i get is to change the background colour! lol how clumsy i am....what an intuitive tool, i love it!

I cant wait to see all those themes popping up everywhere, it will be an explosion!

• Thanks 1

I must admit that I’m still a little skeptical about a theme creator tool for Big Box but this does look really interesting. It definitely looks like a good balance of easy to use while being powerful enough to not restrict creativity. Great job! :)

I’m just torn apart of what the existence of such a tool implies. The download section will probably be flooded with a giant wave of themes of questionable quality while the really good ones will be harder to find and don’t get the attention they’ll probably deserve. But on the other hand your tool will allow the creation of awesome themes that otherwise would have not seen the light of day. Depending how much the upcoming theme downloader inside Big Box will be curated this might be a non-issue anyway, so I’m guessing I’ll just wait and see what the community will do with it. This is definitely not criticism about your tool itself, I still think it looks really promising.

I will most likely stay to directly code my themes with my beloved Notepad++ but I’m surely will take your tool for a ride once it has been released. What I’ve noticed is that the code of the View that you’ve shown was kinda large considering the number of elements used in this View. So I’m curious how the themes which will be created with this tool will perform on lower end systems.

Another thing to note. I saw that your tool included the HelperControl plugin when you created the actual theme. Its features are now natively integrated into Big Box itself and therefor you don’t need it anymore. It would probably be better to also remove/replace it in your theme designer going forward

I understand your scepticism Cid when it comes to the quality of the themes but hopefully the reviews will sort that out. What I do know is there are a lot of talented designers out there in the community that are currently put off creating a theme due to the coding needed.

Dave this becoming a gem of a program, hats off to you for all the work you've put in, is there a chance in the next video can you show us how to add custom images / animated images.

1 hour ago, CriticalCid said:

I must admit that I’m still a little skeptical about a theme creator tool for Big Box but this does look really interesting. It definitely looks like a good balance of easy to use while being powerful enough to not restrict creativity. Great job! :)

I’m just torn apart of what the existence of such a tool implies. The download section will probably be flooded with a giant wave of themes of questionable quality while the really good ones will be harder to find and don’t get the attention they’ll probably deserve. But on the other hand your tool will allow the creation of awesome themes that otherwise would have not seen the light of day. Depending how much the upcoming theme downloader inside Big Box will be curated this might be a non-issue anyway, so I’m guessing I’ll just wait and see what the community will do with it. This is definitely not criticism about your tool itself, I still think it looks really promising.

I will most likely stay to directly code my themes with my beloved Notepad++ but I’m surely will take your tool for a ride once it has been released. What I’ve noticed is that the code of the View that you’ve shown was kinda large considering the number of elements used in this View. So I’m curious how the themes which will be created with this tool will perform on lower end systems.

Another thing to note. I saw that your tool included the HelperControl plugin when you created the actual theme. Its features are now natively integrated into Big Box itself and therefor you don’t need it anymore. It would probably be better to also remove/replace it in your theme designer going forward

First off, thanks Cid for your kind words ?  let me address some of the concerns as best i can....

Rincewind said it best regarding the review section weeding out the questionable content.

Yes, the generated code is large and that is due in part that i use a converter to obtain a variable property for each and every UI element used,  which in itself sounds like a performance dog, but it isn't.   

Testing on lower end systems, i test the editor and the generated themes on my GPD Win 2 which uses an intel m3 processor with integrated graphics, pretty low in terms of specs but great for a mobile big box experience and performance has been fantastic.

The helpercontrol is just a throwback in the plugins folder and i should have deleted it, i just forgot.

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

28 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I understand your scepticism Cid when it comes to the quality of the themes but hopefully the reviews will sort that out. What I do know is there are a lot of talented designers out there in the community that are currently put off creating a theme due to the coding needed.

Dave this becoming a gem of a program, hats off to you for all the work you've put in, is there a chance in the next video can you show us how to add custom images / animated images.

I would love to do a livestream actually Rince, it would allow people to ask for particular things to be demonstrated on the fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waow !!!! Never tried to make a theme, but with this, I will definitively give it a try !

I wanted to port an atttract theme to Launchbbox (theme which was never released), and I hope your tool can allow me to do so !

Do you think a theme like this one can be achieved through your tool ?

5 hours ago, adu said:

Waow !!!! Never tried to make a theme, but with this, I will definitively give it a try !

I wanted to port an atttract theme to Launchbbox (theme which was never released), and I hope your tool can allow me to do so !

Do you think a theme like this one can be achieved through your tool ?

A theme like that... yes i think something like that could be achieved, the selection wheel would not be exactly like that though unfortunately.

• Like 1