LaunchBox Community Forums

My collection - 200 systems

-McFly-

16 hours ago, Mcfly 2019 said:

The delay is due to so many systems and games, it takes a few seconds between clicking and the video / system showing up as it searches through the drive. I'm considering moving everything over to a SSD drive, but I can live with it for now :)

is it stored on a local drive or a network drive?

7 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

is it stored on a local drive or a network drive?

Local. I've had to move my images and pictures to another local drive using symlinks as the main games drive is getting low. I've noticed the videos seem to get slower the more games I add, Once I'm done I'll put in a SSD for the videos and see if that helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, Mcfly 2019 said:

Can anyone help with trying to speed up the lag? The playlists (270+ wheels) move within 1-3 seconds which is fine, but platforms take 10-13 seconds to show their videos. Is this purely down to the amount of games??

Did you find a solution to this.

I agree for the region exclusive games, but to myself it's for example useless to have 3 versions of a Snes game, I mean in the displayed collection, it's always good to have them on your disk anyway. If his goal is too have "everything" i can understand that, but I prefer to have a "clean" collection for the visual which is a lot of additionnal work of course.

But in his case I think the amount of games remains the biggest problem for the lag. My collection is over 21 000 and the soft respond very well on my low-spec machine.

300 000 games imply 300 000 covers... maybe too much for the cache ?

Having X amount of files in our case games isn't the issue here because everyone has their own opinions and it is a users choice to import however many files and in my eyes this should never bottleneck the frontend because thats the point of a frontend. GameEx/EmulationStation/RetroFE/Attract-Mode and even Kodi/Emby/Plex all do the same thing but do not cause performance issues for a similar type of setup.

Edited by wallmachine

8 hours ago, Arkeid said:

Only solution for speed up seems to be the SSD... but the collection is "too big" in the bad way, Maybe 1/4 of the roms are region clones, that's totally useless...

Yes - my collection is too big. My cache is redirected to my SSD which takes a second or two off but not enough. As for region clones, yes there are loads. My intention was to find *everything* and put them in one place, they're not useless to me :)

1 hour ago, Retrofrogg said:

Don’t forget that you can always combine games in Launchbox if you want to cut down on the visual clutter but still have them available to play. 

I've combined most of these in LB already, there are just too many for either LB or my system to handle.

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

That's like saying Windows 3 runs on my old 386 perfectly fine so why doesn't Windows 10 ?

Go use one of those other frontends since they perform so much better for you. Enjoy less features and less frequent updates and ease of use.

Agreed - if you want another front-end, go for it. LB is my front end of choice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

Having X amount of files in our case games isn't the issue here because everyone has their own opinions and it is a users choice to import however many files and in my eyes this should never bottleneck the frontend because thats the point of a frontend. GameEx/EmulationStation/RetroFE/Attract-Mode and even Kodi/Emby/Plex all do the same thing but do not cause performance issues for a similar type of setup.

Have you tried all of these other front ends with this many platforms and games?