LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

1 hour ago, LineOf7s said:

As an observation, what you say is absolutely valid and correct, and yet things like Blue Max &Blue Max 2001 have different images, as do BMX Simulator, BMX Simulator 2, BMX Trials and BMX Racers.  BMX Kids and BMX Ninja are the same though.

Weird, and intriguing.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, so curious what methods were used.  Great to have some more C64 videos, just a bummer all the dupes mixed in under incorrect names.

no particular method.
Just, I already had two commodore platforms added to my launchbox with videos I collected throughout the years. (from various sources - archive.org / emumovies / hyperspin / collections)
So basically copying the vids in there and taking the highest quality ones for the new c64 dreams platform.
Then using renamer to get rid of the extra tags in them to be able to use it in c64 dreams.
I'll see if I can clean them up and upload a trimmed down version.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:38 AM, hoderer said:

Wow! This is really great. Thanks for sharing.

@Zombeaver A few days ago I met 'Soundmagician' Chris Huelsbeck at an amiga-party in germany and did an interview. We talked about his C64 game "To be on top" and I wanted to show a few seconds of that game during the interview, but I was not able to get in game. I disabled fastloader when it asked for it (which should be the default behaviour I think), but after the title picture there was only a black screen. Enabling fastloader made things worse (as I expected). Can you reproduce this issue or am I doing something wrong on my side? It's actually the first game I tried, which didn't run out of the box. Thanks for your help & your time!

EDIT: Please forget what I wrote - exept the 'thanks'-part ;). A few hours and a restart later I tried again and couldn't believe that it's now working. Before posting I tried like 3 or 4 times to be sure and it never worked, but I did not restart the computer. Maybe that was the reason. Sorry for the false alarm!

Glad to hear you got it working!

Just for reference, and it sounds like you already guessed as much, typically you don't want to use a fastloader option if prompted, because they don't work unless TrueDrive is enabled and in most cases it's disabled; the fastloader isn't needed in these cases to begin with because TrueDrive Off + Fastload Off is faster than TrueDrive On + Fastload On.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 1:31 AM, Zombeaver said:

Not too bad I suppose, most of the work has just been tweaking values in presets, which is still ongoing. I've made several more improvements since the last screenshots.

I've added additional options to the configurator for adjusting the settings via Shaders > HSM Mega Bezel. You can enable it (it's mutually exclusive from the other included shader presets because it needs to use Vulkan instead of GL) or disable it, choose from the included presets, and enable or disable the intro (the animation where the TV turns on in the beginning). And if you're using one of the generic ones you can swap out the overlays via the Overlay section. These basically just run different bats to change values, overwrite files, etc. in accordance with whatever you choose.

image.thumb.png.9c8e26b1f285498addc02127d6c06186.png

WOW!! awesome! Completely beautiful to see them fully integrated into your project! I think this covers everyone's tastes and also opens a door to personal customizations. Thank you very much!! Can't wait to try the new release!

• Like 1

Here's a first two sets after tidying up my previous upload. (thanks again for spotting the doubles @opeth2112, @LineOf7s)

~750 video's cleaned up, added a couple new ones, no doubles, video matching the game and all matching the names in Zombeavers C64 dreams set.
Just drop the contents of the zip file in your LaunchBox\Videos\C64 Dreams directory.

I still have a lot to go through but it's a start. Hopefully by next week I will have another set to add to this.
It's very time consuming.

Also added a zip file with the missing list of videos (zero byte mp4's) which I use to compare. If anyone can add to this then please share.

While going through all videos I thought I also wrote down some of the games I played when I was young. Maybe Zombeaver can comment if they will be included in version 0.60

(I will keep these videos in the hope I can add them to the videos set😏)

Lazarian
Tooth Invaders
The Young Ones
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Super Pipeline (1 & 2)
Super Sprint
Moon Patrol
Lady Tut
Kickman
Highnoon
Burnin' Rubber
Arctic Shipwreck
Aardvark

EDIT October 24th 2022 : Added another 53 vids - Commodore 64 Done.3.zip. Rest will all be manual labor I'm afraid.

Commodore 64 DONE.3.zip

515107489_Commodore64.zip

1765727101_Commodore64DONE.2.zip

Commodore 64 missing.zip

Edited by launchretrogirl2562
Added another small set of C64 game videos
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have worked these 3 last months to fill the launchbox c64 database with missing youtube video links and also missing games

Total Submitted Changes 4024

(I don't use c64dreams collections, I'm using f64forum nirvana kungfuflash cartridge collection, curated and imported in launchbox, that's around 3700 games)

I'm currently scrapping the youtube videos, I'll send them soon on the forum.

• Like 2

As Aderumier stated, youtube videos will be scraped and shared here.

Any of those which match Zombeavers C64 games can be used to complete the video snaps.

Therefor, it is more than relevant to this thread. Whether Aderumier uses C64 dreams or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we as C64dreams users can also benefit from his strenuous effort into scraping more c64 video snaps.

It's actually not all that relevant, to be honest. If you want to use them that's your prerogative but the entire point of the video snap project is that I will not be using random YouTube videos, of random quality, and where C64 Dreams isn't what's being used during capture i.e. where it may not be an accurate representation of the game. That's not going to happen, ever.

If you want to pull a bunch of stuff from YouTube for your own collection, by all means go for it. But I don't want that associated with my project. I haven't spent the thousands of hours that I have on it to just throw a pile of random videos in there and call it good. That's not good enough. If you want to contribute by capturing and uploading new videos for the project following the previous instructions, that is of course welcome and encouraged. The more help the better. Barring that though, scraped YouTube videos are not / will never be part of this project. I appreciate the thought and the effort, I genuinely do, but the reason that we talked about starting a video snap capture project to begin with was specifically because I consider this kind of thing not up to par, and as such the only thing this really does is puts time and energy in the wrong place. I wish there were more people like yourself that are willing to help with this stuff, but if you're going to put forth the effort it would be better placed to do this in the way that has been asked because otherwise, ultimately, that effort will be wasted once anything and everything that you scrape, compile, rename, etc. will inevitably be replaced.

• Like 2

Hello Zombeaver,

first of all huge respect for your work. It is very good, especially when you look at the details.

But I have a small problem in BigBox (widescreen). In the BigBox menu of the game itself, the old "Commodore" clear Logo is too big (see picture below).

Can you help me please how to fix this or where is the path of the image so I can change it myself?

Thank you in advance!

Unbenannt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 12:29 AM, CriticalCid said:

This is an issue with older versions of the Unified theme and has nothing to do with Zomb’s collection.

Get the latest version of the theme and your problem should be fixed! :)

Is there an option to update in BigBox or should i manually download and change? :)

Edited by JacK1518

12 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Both options should be fine. You can either use the Manage Themes option inside Big Box or just manually replace the theme folder with he newest version.

Thank you. I´ve tried both options (used "repair theme" in BB), but i have the same problem. The commodore picture is too big. My resolution is 4096 x 2160, if thats the problem?

You should probably delete all folders of Unified that you have installed in your LaunchBox Themes folder and then do a completely fresh installation of it. Also make sure that you download the newest version of the Unified variant that you have setup in the Big Box options and not some other fork like Unified Redux, Ultrawide, etc.

Please post any further questions or issues you might encounter with Unified in the support thread of the theme. No need to derail Zomb’s thread any further. Thanks.

EDIT: Also be aware that the logo size won’t change. The newest version just puts the text list above the logo. If that isn’t good enough for you and you want to change the size than you can find the logo in the following folder:

\LaunchBox\Themes\Unified\Images\Theme\Logo

Here's the Unified support thread:

Edited by CriticalCid

@Zombeaver

First of all, many thanks for all your efforts - I made my first steps with the C64 and found many beloved titles in your collection!
I would like to adjust the scaling of the games and use a different overlay! I could change the overlay by changing the c64.png in the overlay directory but my settings for the scaling are ignored - I changed the respective VICExxx.cfg files in the Retroarch & config directories and replaced the existing values by

custom_viewport_height = "900
custom_viewport_width = "1640"
custom_viewport_x = "720"
custom_viewport_y = "130"

Can you tell me where to adjust this?

Kind Regards!

Mike

Edited by MikeDeltaHH

18 hours ago, MikeDeltaHH said:

I would like to adjust the scaling of the game

Why? It scales correctly at any resolution. It's ignoring your values because the aspect ratio is not set to custom, nor should it be because then the core's cropping values won't work correctly.

18 hours ago, MikeDeltaHH said:

and use a different overlay!

You should not do this. I've created multiple overlays which are swapped out on a game by game basis to indicate whether there are notes, if a game is keyboard only, etc. You can change the bezel to one of a few different variants via Configurator.exe in the Overlays section, but beyond that you need to leave those alone.

Whatever it is you're trying to do here, my suggestion would be to stop. You're on track to break something.

Thank you for your explanations! The custom aspect ratio is not activated I have overlooked but smooth - The only reason that I want to adjust the scaling is that I play on a 34 inch monitor and so the sprites of the C64 games look pretty matte - It also only affects a handful of games for me and I'll give it a try with the Configurator, thanks!

Edited by MikeDeltaHH