LaunchBox Community Forums

VPX Collection

Haggie55

The other method is to use the DMD in the usual fashion, but (if the DMD is on it's side) you may need to edit the script setting "rol" from a 1 to a 0 (or visa versa).

This allows you to use all the normal resizing, settings & the general messing about that you have to do.

Edited by FuriousPig

This is an excellent collection of Tables; thank you Haggie55

As has been previously mentioned the tables are set up for a specific monitor configuration which can be adjusted for single monitor setup via the method described by donarumo (which I was unaware of) or by editing the script to bring the original DMD back (described above).

In most cases the background has also been disabled.  Having no real knowledge of Visual Pinball & to save future readers from the same frustration, the process to enable them again is described below:

I will use CSI in this example:

1) First identify the background image name. From the Table menu select Image Manager.  The background image is usually the biggest image but the preview on the right will help.  In this case the background is _CSI  Make a note of the name & Close the Image Manager.

2) Now we need to enable it.  From the View menu select Backglass/POV

3) From the View menu select Options.  You should now be in the Graphics & Camera options window.

4) From the DT Image drop down select your backdrop image.  In this case _CSI

5) Close the Options window by clicking View & Options again.

6) File menu & Save.

That should be it, when you relaunch the table the background is back.  I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An excellent resource, for links to various tables across the big pinball sites is this Google sheet linked below.  I encountered this when some of my set had been modified like you noted (DMD moved, BG removed) and got tired of fixing them.  So I reverted to the original table and in some cases the benefit was the was newer version with bug fixes/graphics enhancements.  The spreadsheet also has links to backglass images for a two monitor setup, media packs, and other needed parts and pieces for the tables.  The spreadsheet can take a bit of time initially to load and can appear "frozen" when first move around but once caches it works well.  They do good job of keeping it updated with new table versions for Visual Pinball, so allows you to do a quick scan of newer tables (in green) to see if any interest you.  There is also a VPX only tab which I found useful since that is what I focus on in my setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18edFWq2--Yw8iRX_ou3cGeQ3pAJ6zM0kWHYFWZW1fWg/edit#gid=1238562238

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a totally noob but I've been able to setup some consoles and handheld to my lunchbox/bigbox thanks to mostly ETMPRIME YouTube channel. But now I'm trying to figure out how to setup pinball but can't really find a post on doing so. Any help would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, Krazyg said:

I'm a totally noob but I've been able to setup some consoles and handheld to my lunchbox/bigbox thanks to mostly ETMPRIME YouTube channel. But now I'm trying to figure out how to setup pinball but can't really find a post on doing so. Any help would be appreciated.

This video is very useful for setting up Visual Pinball, follow this through & you should be good.  I would highly recommend you do NOT download this pack of tables posted here because there has been a lot of tweaking done to the set for the users specific setup & while it is possible to revert them back to their original form it isn't easy for someone new to the scene.

Edited by FuriousPig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FuriousPig said:

This video is very useful for setting up Visual Pinball, follow this through & you should be good.  I would highly recommend you don NOT download this pack of tables posted here because there has been a lot of tweaking done to the set for the users specific setup & while it is possible to revert them back to their original form it isn't easy for someone new to the scene.

I second this. Virtual Pinball is not a copy/paste task like some of the console builds. Visual Pinball was a big learning curve for me, but these videos help a lot. Learn to add, and edit tables yourself. It will make you understand the entire scope much better than you would by copying tables from someone here. Be ready to be mad, happy, mad, happy, finally figure it out, then give up, then finally figure it all out again.   ?  Hell, even after a year of using it, I still dont think I truly understand all the DMD stuff. I still manage to fuck it up from time to time.
It is all worth it in the end though.

Edited by ItchyRobot
  • Like 1

Echo above. Start small, download a few tables of interest to you directly from the pinball sites, preferably ones that are recently updated. I would also stick with VPX table versions initially versus VP9 and older until you get working VPX setup.  Once you get a few tables working you can "add on" features as you feel comfortable and get more tables.  Downloading mega packs and expecting them to work is recipe for frustration.  You have everything from single screen desktop setups to full on cabinets with all the bells and whistles.

In my travels, I found this guide by Major Frenchy and although it appears a bit overwhelming at first if you skip the "B2S backglass" and "DOF" sections (cabinet setups) it has some useful information. Some links may be outdated but the info itself is still relevant.

Simplistically, 1) install VPX all in one installer linked above  2) install VPinMAME 3) Get current set of VPinMAME ROMs.    The spreadsheet I linked above actually has links to tables, and their corresponding ROMs (not in all cases) so again, download a table, and a ROM and see how things go.  If the addiction kicks in, then you go to the flashy, cool stuff of all the bells and whistles which is really the sky's the limit. A lot of creative people have made additional features like that enhance the whole experience (PUP Packs, Cabinets, multiple screens).  But you have to have the main setup working first. 

visual-pinball-complete-guide.pdf

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for posting this here 😃, it's great. But I really needed the artwork most of all as I have quite a lot of tables installed already and it's just high quality artwork that I have been struggling to find to make LaunchBox look pretty.

Any chance you could re-post the artwork? Because the link no longer works.

Thanks 😃

16 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Thanks for posting this here 😃, it's great. But I really needed the artwork most of all as I have quite a lot of tables installed already and it's just high quality artwork that I have been struggling to find to make LaunchBox look pretty.

Any chance you could re-post the artwork? Because the link no longer works.

Thanks 😃

Hey All

Apologies to everyone, I didn't realise I'd deleted the screen shot folder & I somehow missed the comments telling me the link was dead - I've re-uploaded the folder and updated the original post with a working link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11_e-XTJ9MHxi_LupsQmw7d8Ow0pFVpgS?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haggie55 said:

Hey All

Apologies to everyone, I didn't realise I'd deleted the screen shot folder & I somehow missed the comments telling me the link was dead - I've re-uploaded the folder and updated the original post with a working link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11_e-XTJ9MHxi_LupsQmw7d8Ow0pFVpgS?usp=sharing

Thankyou so much for re-posting, I really appreciate this! I hope you have a great day 😃 and thanks again for posting all these great tables and artwork, you're a champion 🏆

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's cool to see others using Launchbox as their VPX front end. I'm building a multi-game arcade machine and back in May, I decided to add just a couple of my favorite pinball tables, but I quickly tripped and fell into the virtual pinball rabbit hole lol. And now I have a little over 400 different VPX and Future pinball tables. Here are a couple of screenshots. I have wheel images for VPX and will be doing the same for my Future pinball as well.

Future.jpg

VPX.jpg

Once you are working on your Pinball Build there is no going back.
I have also several hundreds of Tables and wanted to sort them by Decades 70s, 80s, 90s, etc..
Then i realised how much work that is. I also wanted to create short preview Videoclips for each Table but i don´t have the Time. Maybe one day i will go for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TJ_on_Launchbox said:

wanted to sort them by Decades 70s, 80s, 90s, etc..
Then i realised how much work that is.

It wouldn't be too bad.  But ya, you'd need to create about 10 or so individual playlists (assuming you have any tables that goes back to the 1930's).  Then if your tables have their release dates (which they all should), then it's all automatic.

I also wanted to create short preview Videoclips for each Table but i don´t have the Time.

I've been able to find a lot of the videos via EmuMovies.  Granted they may not be for the specific version of the table I have. But it's a something.  This is for VPX I'm referring to.  For Pinball FX 2/3, you can find those here 

For the missing VPX videos (or videos where you want to see your table), there's a plugin that can [almost] automatically make them for you.  But for several hundred tables, it'd still take some time.  Especially since you'd have to do them one-by-one.  But it does help some to streamline the process.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, 80sRkadeGuy said:

I quickly tripped and fell into the virtual pinball rabbit hole lol.

It's easy to do. lol  And as TJ said, 

Once you are working on your Pinball Build there is no going back.

But I think that's true for game machine/console archiving in general.  :D  The never ending "just one more change, then it'll be perfect". lol

• Haha 1