LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

2 hours ago, Stovies said:

Apologies.  I wasn't clear.  I've installed already but didn't see an update option in the theme menu of BigBox.  But it has offered an update there in the past.  I'll wait and see if it shows up soon.

Gotcha. Yeah, Updates will only show if the creator submitted it for approval. If they do, it first has to be tested by Jason before he releases the update inside BigBox. 

hi, i just bought bigbox and installed this as my first theme!
It looks sooo clean!!!! So thx for all the hard work u put on this ?.
Only thing that isn't working for my is it won't load any game information (xml file info is stored at LaunchBox\Data\Platforms) .
Am i missing something here?

@darky1986 Strange.
The theme call all of the default LaunchBox info. Nothing is custom. Normally, they are scrapped automatically. But you can edit them manually.

For platform : 
In LaunchBox > Tools > Manage platforms > (select a platform) > Edit

For Game :
In LaunchBox > (Select a game) > Right Clic > Edit

That is how the theme looks when in TextGames view. You need to switch the view to one of the Wheel views. You can set a key/button in BigBox to "Switch View" and then when in the games view hit that key/button to see it change to a different view. In the Wheel views you get a screen that looks something like this. All theme will usually have several view types. One of which is always a TextView like you show in the video. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 7.17.20 PM.png

• Thanks 2

This a great theme. It looks great, is clean, and simple.

I'm curious why some colors don't match the videos with the SelectionSnoop plugin? Genesis, for example, shows up white. I run this theme on a surface book pro 6. To get it to run smooth I have to change all blur effects to "0" and gave the transition from white to movie and extra .5 to 1 second for things to load. Do you have plans to makes video's for an Apple IIe or the Magnavox Intellivision?

Again, your work is excellent. Thank you for making it.

8 hours ago, midd said:

I have some from another theme.  How do I get them to display?

What exactly are you trying to do with Marquee images? BigBox by default will show marquee images on a second screen so long as you set your second screen in BigBox options. Or are you trying to get something to show up on the same screen as the theme does?

52 minutes ago, midd said:

I’d like to have platform marquees on my second screen as I’m scrolling through the different platforms.

BigBox will do this as a default even if a theme designer does not make a GamesMarqueeView.xaml for the theme. As @viking mentioned make sure in your BigBox settings you have you second monitor set to show marquees. Here is a snap of his theme showing the marquee on a second monitor. Nothing special needs to be done to the theme. As long as you have marquee images located in the correct Arcade - Marquee folder and they are named after the games or the rom name it will work. Where are your marquee images located?

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.39.30 AM.png

The latest update is gorgeous with the dark views! Thanks so much for making it official!

On another note, I really hope you can work on the performance of this theme. I just upgraded to a PCIE 4.0 NVME drive and Ryzen 3900X and this theme is still very very sluggish on the platform view. Each system takes anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds or so to load depending on how many games are in that platform. If you view that platform again later in your BigBox session it works fine, which leads me to believe theres some kind of games list caching going on... Is there a way to cache everything on initial launch? I'm not sure why that would be unique to this theme, but this is the only theme I've tried that seems to exhibit this issue.

Edited by johnsanc

@johnsanc strange this problem.
My theme doesn't change the way BigBox manages cache or other data stuf.

- Did you set the video engine to "VLC"? In the BigBox options too?
- Have you tried my HD video set, instead of 4K?

@BendBombBoom 
The colors are added as I create the videos. I have not yet made the "Genesis" one, but "MegaDrive". That's why you have the default color display.
If you wish, you can manually add/modify the colors here:
LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful\Plugins\Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a\AssemblyConfig  >  Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a-Colors.dll.config

I don't remember a blur effect on this theme. Where did you put it on 0?

For videos, I give you the same advice if it's too slow:
- Did you set the video engine to "VLC"? In the BigBox options too? This is important to set on VLC for memory management.
- Have you tried my HD video set, instead of 4K? If the videos are too heavy, go to HD.

22 hours ago, Retro808 said:

BigBox will do this as a default even if a theme designer does not make a GamesMarqueeView.xaml for the theme. As @viking mentioned make sure in your BigBox settings you have you second monitor set to show marquees. Here is a snap of his theme showing the marquee on a second monitor. Nothing special needs to be done to the theme. As long as you have marquee images located in the correct Arcade - Marquee folder and they are named after the games or the rom name it will work. Where are your marquee images located?

My game marquees work fine.  I'm talking about platform/system marquees.

@midd Until I create a Marquee view according to my theme, you can use one from another one.
BigBox uses 2 files for the marquee, in theme folder/Views:

• GameMarqueeView.xaml
  • PlatformMarqueeView.xaml

There isn't one (yet) in Colorful, so BigBox uses the Default theme's one.
You can copy "PlatformMarqueeView.xaml" from a theme you like, and paste it into Colorful/Views.

Just be careful to copy/paste any dependencies as well. (plugins, images,) It depends on the theme you have chosen.

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried the platform .xaml files from the Critical Zone theme (no plugins found for this theme) and a download file from the forums, Mr. RetroLusts Marquee . 

The images I'd like to display are found in the Banner folders of each platform.  /Launchbox/Images/Platforms/Name of the platform/Banner