LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Aspect Ratio for a single game

rom116

Hi everyone.  So there are a few games for MAME that I cannot find any bezel art for.  NFL Blitz 2000 is one of them.  Also, since I have a 4 player cabinet I'd like to use a 16:9 apsect ratio for that game anyways to take up more of the screen.  Is there a way in MAME, not retroarch with a mame core, to change the aspect ratio for a single game?

6 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Since I have never done this myself I can't give you any details on how or even if you can do it but here is the documentation for it so you can look into it.

https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/multiconfig.html

By the looks of it you can make an ini file for the games you want and put the settings you want in it and it should load it.

Thank you sir.  Looks like I'll be google searching per game ini files MAME next...lol

I just gave this a try and it works.

Go to your Mame\Ini folder and create an ini file for the game you want, name it the same as the rom, for example I just tested with 1942. I made a 1942.ini and in it I turned off HLSL  by copying the:

hlsl_enable               1

setting from the mame.ini and changing it to:

hlsl_enable               0

Loaded up the game an no HLSL shader enabled.

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

I just gave this a try and it works.

Go to your Mame\Ini folder and create an ini file for the game you want, name it the same as the rom, for example I just tested with 1942. I made a 1942.ini and in it I turned off HLSL  by copying the:

hlsl_enable               1

setting from the mame.ini and changing it to:

hlsl_enable               0

Loaded up the game an no HLSL shader enabled.

I was able to make Blitz 2000 full screen by copying the mame.ini and renaming it to blitz2k.ini and changing keep aspect ratio from 1 to 0 and it worked perfect.

4 hours ago, spycat said:

An alternative to using a game ini is to set a custom command line parameter for the game in LaunchBox like
-nokeepaspect
or
-noka

Of course, this will only work when the game is opened with LaunchBox.

Oh sweet.  I'll give that a shot.  There's only a few games I'd want in that aspect ratio.  This will be helpful.

5 minutes ago, spycat said:

Click the Emulation tab in the Edit Game window , enable the tickbox and type your parameters.

Duh...lol.  Thanks.  I was trying to enable on the first page of the edit screen.  Another qq.  If I create a custom .ini file for the game and tell it no not keep aspect ratio the game boots right into it no problem.  If i use the custom command line parameter -noka the game boots fine, but it has the MAME rom information screen first.  Any way to auto disable that?  I know we're kinda splitting hairs here as a single button press dismisses it...But just curious.  Thank you

LaunchBox custom parameters override the defaults.
If your default parameters are, say
-keyboardprovider dinput -skip_gameinfo
then you would need to include those in the custom parameters.
Or you can permanently set them in your mame.ini file.

I don't use the LaunchBox pause screen feature, so I really can't say if you need
-keyboardprovider dinput
included in LaunchBox, if you were to configure it in the mame.ini file.