LaunchBox Community Forums

Troubleshooting MAME High Scores

Jason Carr

55 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Then I don't know what to tell you.  That's the one that worked for me.  My MAME is revision 0.228 and it doesn't appear that rom zip file has had any changes between 0.226 and 0.228.  Can you attach your bublbobl.hi file?

My romset might be the problem then. I upgraded to Mame revision 0.226, but I am not sure what my romset version is.

bublbobl.hi

@filarenas3  Your bublbobl.hi is acting like my bublboblr.hi is.  The current release of hi2txt (r1.12) throws an error, but an older release (r1.10) does not.

Your output from hi2txt r1.10

RANK|SCORE|NAME|STAGE
1|96040|F.A|6
2|30000|I.F|32
3|30000|MTJ|28
4|30000|NSO|24
5|30000|KIM|20

And yes, updating your MAME executable without updating your rom set can and usually does cause problems. Case in point. ;) 

@JoeViking245 and @neil9000 Thank you so much for your help. Not sure what the difference is between our setups. There may be too many variables to take into account. I was finally able to get a bublbobl hiscore uploaded by downgrading the hi2txt version to 1.10 in my Launchbox. I had used clrmamepro to try and fix my roms, upgraded my mame to revision 0.228. But none of that seemed to help. Well, thanks again! I am happy with the temporary solution! Cheers!

• Game On 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:55 AM, GreatStone said:

@JoeViking245 I will have a look at this bubkboblr" specifically: thanks for the issue report :) In the last versions of hi2txt, I have added some checks to try to detect when nvram are full of scrap (and it is happening sometimes with mame) to avoid sending irrealistic score to the globbal ladder.

Hi @GreatStone, do you have an updated version of hi2txt? Just checking to see if I need to update the version included with LaunchBox. :)

• Like 1

I'd  like to add to some weirdness that is hi scores.  The game Front Line (frontlin.zip) doesn't show the High score on the screen of the game itself.  At least not for me.  However in Launchbox, I do see community scores when I highlight the Front Line game in LB.  In LB, I then selected to use frontlina.zip as the rom to play.  The default hi score of 10000 shows on the game screen.  But there is no community scores, probably since no one use the frontlina.zip to play Front Line.

Frontlina.zip

796B21EE-4C4E-4A45-B10D-4BB1A67F4FBA.jpeg

DD1C3AEB-73A3-49B3-B24A-E01A53489E26.jpeg

Frontlin.zip

AB5B14B4-4A75-402C-8E56-6B3050048B10.jpeg

BBCB7D32-3D29-4515-A4CF-7C4CB76F8910.jpeg

Edited by midd

17 hours ago, midd said:

Front Line (frontlin.zip) doesn't show the High score on the screen of the game itself.

Try looking for and deleting the hi file in your MAME folder...   ../MAME/hi/frontlin.hi    and the nvram/frontlin folder...    ../MAME/nvram/frontlin/      This will reset any local high scores you have for that game.  Which in your case you can't even see them (it), so no-harm, no-foul. ;) 

17 hours ago, midd said:

But there is no community scores, probably since no one use the frontlina.zip

Though frontlin.zip is, frontlina.zip is not supported by hi2txt.  So it won't (can't) show up on the leaderboard.

9 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Try looking for and deleting the hi file in your MAME folder...   ../MAME/hi/frontlin.hi    and the nvram/frontlin folder...    ../MAME/nvram/frontlin/      This will reset any local high scores you have for that game.  Which in your case you can't even see them (it), so no-harm, no-foul. ;) 

Though frontlin.zip is, frontlina.zip is not supported by hi2txt.  So it won't (can't) show up on the leaderboard.

That did it! Thanks!

UPDATE: I spoke to see soon as the hi score disappeared on me again.  At least I know how to fix it.

Edited by midd
  • Game On 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:22 PM, midd said:

I'd  like to add to some weirdness that is hi scores.  The game Front Line (frontlin.zip) doesn't show the High score on the screen of the game itself.  At least not for me.  However in Launchbox, I do see community scores when I highlight the Front Line game in LB.  In LB, I then selected to use frontlina.zip as the rom to play.  The default hi score of 10000 shows on the game screen.  But there is no community scores, probably since no one use the frontlina.zip to play Front Line.

Frontlina.zip

796B21EE-4C4E-4A45-B10D-4BB1A67F4FBA.jpeg

DD1C3AEB-73A3-49B3-B24A-E01A53489E26.jpeg

Frontlin.zip

AB5B14B4-4A75-402C-8E56-6B3050048B10.jpeg

BBCB7D32-3D29-4515-A4CF-7C4CB76F8910.jpeg

I loved front-line as a kid. Was a hard game but fun.

@filarenas3 @JoeViking245 @Jason Carr After a lot of trials, it appears that recent mame versions have modified the dumped content related to "special items counters", for whatever reason. I have slightly modified the 'bublbobl.xml' file (describing how to decode the game hiscores .hi file) to fix it, as it is sharing the same XML than 'bublboblr'

It will be part of the next release. I also attached the new file here in case you want to have a working version right now (LaunchBox should have a hi2txt.zip file somewhere, where all xml files are stored).

Thanks, @filarenas3, for reporting the issue :)

bublbobl.xml

• Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1