LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

The Epic importer doesn't seem to be importing all games.

Out of my installed games Hades and Axiom Verge don't get imported. I haven't gone through the uninstalled games yet, but at least World War Z doesn't seem to get imported from the uninstalled side.

when opening LaunchBox should the Platform in the left pane be auto scrolled to where the scroll was before close as scrolling the Platform list down to the Plaftorm that was selected on close 'greys' out the images section like its trying to find it or something.

Also what does that 'Text' checkbox do at the bottom right?

Edited by wallmachine

1 hour ago, ItchyRobot said:

@Jason Carr

Well, I could have sworn I had it set to VLC. I just checked and it said Windows.

Should I download the full version of VLC, or is the default Launchbox/Bigbox version that comes installed with LB/BB good enough?

Ah, that could explain the stability issues you're seeing with multiple themes. No need to download a separate copy of VLC; only the copy that comes with LaunchBox is used. Let me know if you still see stability issues after switching to VLC.

13 hours ago, Android16 said:

@Jason Carr pressing ctrl+ + crashes launchbox if held for a long time. Also, the enlarging should stop once you release those keys but it keeps enlarging after you release.

also, zoom in out and box spacing is missing from the button bar for precise zooming

It sounds like your system just can't keep up with the enlarging operation, so it falls behind. I wouldn't say that's really an appropriate use-case though, holding down Ctrl and + for ages. If you want to make big changes to the box sizing, you can always just drag the slider in the button bar. Precise zooming can be done by clicking on the slider and then using the arrow keys.

8 hours ago, BlackSol said:

The Epic importer doesn't seem to be importing all games.

Out of my installed games Hades and Axiom Verge don't get imported. I haven't gone through the uninstalled games yet, but at least World War Z doesn't seem to get imported from the uninstalled side.

Are those games just wrappers for Steam games? That could be why they're not importing.

8 hours ago, wallmachine said:

when opening LaunchBox should the Platform in the left pane be auto scrolled to where the scroll was before close as scrolling the Platform list down to the Plaftorm that was selected on close 'greys' out the images section like its trying to find it or something.

Also what does that 'Text' checkbox do at the bottom right?

Yeah, we probably should scroll that list down. Apparently we don't at this point. The Text checkbox shows or hides the text at the bottom of the boxes in the new default theme.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, that could explain the stability issues you're seeing with multiple themes. No need to download a separate copy of VLC; only the copy that comes with LaunchBox is used. Let me know if you still see stability issues after switching to VLC.

Well, that was not it. I just finished setting up the new AllNightLong theme, walked a way from my machine for a bit, and came back to the desktop... with no mouse cursor (invisible) like before. Again had to stumble through windows power menu without cursor to restart machine. Attached is the log file for this crash.

Debug 2020-05-21 11-02-28 AM.log

13 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Well, that was not it. I just finished setting up the new AllNightLong theme, walked a way from my machine for a bit, and came back to the desktop... with no mouse cursor (invisible) like before. Again had to stumble through windows power menu without cursor to restart machine. Attached is the log file for this crash.

Debug 2020-05-21 11-02-28 AM.log 116.08 kB · 0 downloads

Alright. Sadly I'm not seeing any helpful info in that log file. All I can figure at this point is there's some kind of general stability issue that isn't typical. Do make sure you're all up to date on drivers and Windows updates, if you haven't already.

13 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright. Sadly I'm not seeing any helpful info in that log file. All I can figure at this point is there's some kind of general stability issue that isn't typical. Do make sure you're all up to date on drivers and Windows updates, if you haven't already.

Well that sucks. After getting all these BigBox crashes started a few weeks back, I made sure I was up to date... went to all the manufacturers websites and downloaded latest drivers, even for my motherboard's bios. Using a Nvidia 1060 with latest game ready drivers too. The only other thing I can think of is that my PC is plugged into an outlet that also has a minifridge attached. When it fires up and shuts down, I can sometimes hear an audible usb attach/detach sound. I have yet to see that timing correlate with the BigBox crash though. I will try to unplug the mini fridge for a while to see if that may be causing it.

I never had these crashes for a year of building out my Launchbox/BigBox collection. It only started around 10.4 or so.

10 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Well that sucks. After getting all these BigBox crashes started a few weeks back, I made sure I was up to date... went to all the manufacturers websites and downloaded latest drivers, even for my motherboard's bios. Using a Nvidia 1060 with latest game ready drivers too. The only other thing I can think of is that my PC is plugged into an outlet that also has a minifridge attached. When it fires up and shuts down, I can sometimes hear an audible usb attach/detach sound. I have yet to see that timing correlate with the BigBox crash though. I will try to unplug the mini fridge for a while to see if that may be causing it.

I never had these crashes for a year of building out my Launchbox/BigBox collection. It only started around 10.4 or so.

It's always possible that we introduced a bug, but I have four machines with various configurations that I run regularly in order to test stability, and I'm not seeing those crashes. So most likely it's either a Windows, .NET Framework, or driver bug that is unique to your machine, but it's always hard to say for sure. I will say that Windows 10 has not exactly been the most stable as of late for me, but it hasn't been affecting LaunchBox or Big Box for me. Just seems like Windows Explorer crashes every 5 minutes lately.

Let me know if unplugging the fridge helps. Otherwise, you might want to try unplugging any other unnecessary things that you have plugged in via USB, and try closing down any background apps, especially anti-virus or security apps.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's always possible that we introduced a bug, but I have four machines with various configurations that I run regularly in order to test stability, and I'm not seeing those crashes. So most likely it's either a Windows, .NET Framework, or driver bug that is unique to your machine, but it's always hard to say for sure. I will say that Windows 10 has not exactly been the most stable as of late for me, but it hasn't been affecting LaunchBox or Big Box for me. Just seems like Windows Explorer crashes every 5 minutes lately.

Let me know if unplugging the fridge helps. Otherwise, you might want to try unplugging any other unnecessary things that you have plugged in via USB, and try closing down any background apps, especially anti-virus or security apps.

I do have Windows Security running, but I set an exclusion for my Launchbox folder. Is that not good enough? It didn't seem to be a problem for the past year.
See attached image...

exclusions.png

1 minute ago, ItchyRobot said:

I do have Windows Security running, but I set an exclusion for my Launchbox folder. Is that not good enough? It didn't seem to be a problem for the past year.
See attached image...

exclusions.png

Windows Security should not be an issue. I run it and never turn it off on anything. I was really just referring to any third-party security or anti-virus apps.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Are those games just wrappers for Steam games? That could be why they're not importing.

Not sure what's involved in being a wrapper, but Hades was purchased from the Epic Store just after it was released the other two were from the free game giveaways from Epic last year.

23 minutes ago, BlackSol said:

Not sure what's involved in being a wrapper, but Hades was purchased from the Epic Store just after it was released the other two were from the free game giveaways from Epic last year.

Steam wrapper games are games that just launch as Steam games when you launch them. If not, we should have @C-Beats take a look to see what might be happening. I know Epic is having major issues though lately because of the amount of traffic, so it's entirely possible that their API is just busted right now (to be honest that's my hunch since we weren't running into these issues until recently when they put GTA V up for free).

15 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Steam wrapper games are games that just launch as Steam games when you launch them. If not, we should have @C-Beats take a look to see what might be happening. I know Epic is having major issues though lately because of the amount of traffic, so it's entirely possible that their API is just busted right now (to be honest that's my hunch since we weren't running into these issues until recently when they put GTA V up for free).

It was just announced that GTA V has sold 130 million copies. I have to imagine the traffic on a relatively young gaming platform like Epic has been problematic in many ways.

5 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

That usb unplugging and replugging noise are you using a docking station or a hp monitor?

Edited by wallmachine

So, I've been tinkering with the 10.15 release of LaunchBox and BigBox, and there is an issue with RetroAchievements not showing up for certain games that use different game names from the LaunchBox Games Database. For example, I have to rename "The Simpsons" to "Simpsons, The" in my Arcade games just to get the achievements to show up.

I've posted a thread about this issue in troubleshooting a few days ago. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to manually add a link to the proper RetroAchievements page to my LaunchBox game entry so the achievements show up.

Edited by Phox

21 minutes ago, Phox said:

So, I've been tinkering with the 10.15 release of LaunchBox and BigBox, and there is an issue with RetroAchievements not showing up for certain games that use different game names from the LaunchBox Games Database. For example, I have to rename "The Simpsons" to "Simpsons, The" in my Arcade games just to get the achievements to show up.

I've posted a thread about this issue in troubleshooting a few days ago. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to manually add a link to the proper RetroAchievements page to my LaunchBox game entry so the achievements show up.

I think a while back they mentioned something about placing ,The in front or end of game with an option, thought this could help but can't find an option so maybe hasn't been implemented yet.

Edited by wallmachine

23 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

I think a while back they mentioned something about placing ,The in front or end of game with an option, thought this could help but can't find an option so maybe hasn't been implemented yet.

Ah, I see. Though, there are other examples of this differential game name issue that doesn't involve ", The." Such as game names that incorporate alternative regional titles like Neo Turf Masters, which is called "Neo Turf Masters | Big Tournament Golf" on the RetroAchievements website, and the achievements won't show up unless you change the game name to that in LaunchBox.

Edited by Phox

19 hours ago, Phox said:

Responded in the thread.

17 hours ago, Android16 said:

980m i7-4960x 32gb ram

sizing shouldnt continue when your hands are not on the hotkeys. spacing has no precise options and that is not precise zooming, that is very slow zooming doing it like that xD

That only happens when the system is choking. Regardless though, zooming isn't all that common of an operation, and you can easily just drag the slider to whatever you want it to be, which isn't slow at all. Should be quick and easy to drag it to the general place you want it, and then use the arrow keys for precision.