LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

and you can easily just drag the slider to whatever you want it to be, which isn't slow at all. Should be quick and easy to drag it to the general place you want it, and then use the arrow keys for precision.

This is exactly what i do, once the slider has been used to get to the rough size, as long as you dont click somewhere else you can then use the left and right arrows to fine tune.

7 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

The behavior is totally different (nd extremely slow) when using the keyboard versus using the slider.  IMO, that's an issue.

Slow equal better there, as its fine tuning. I dont want that very fast at all, no point overshooting and having to edge back. Also depending on your resolution, the slider by itself is impossible to be accurate with. Im at 1440p, or 4K with a relatively i would think normal mouse dpi setting and using that to fine tune is out of the question.

12 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

The behavior is totally different (nd extremely slow) when using the keyboard versus using the slider.  IMO, that's an issue.

Of course it is slower when using the arrow keys. It is only increasing the image with each click by 0.001.

Just now, Pixelpiper said:

I don't mean slow as in stepping, I mean slow as in the CPU is choking and system resource usage spikes.  There's a performance path difference.

That is not how it is working in my testing. Again, what theme are you running? I wonder if we have an issue there with some themes or something.

5 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

OK, I found it, turns out I do have a theme active.  I'm using "Bad Old Monkey" plus the aforementioned changes to spacing/colors.

So it looks like that theme has been discontinued and is no longer being supported. But I still don't see any issues with using the slider on it. It's smooth as butter for me, both with the arrow keys and with dragging the slider. It doesn't fully finish and repopulate until you stop moving the slider.

1 minute ago, Pixelpiper said:

Using DEFAULT theme seems faster, but I notice that when you stop resizing, the boxes each draw much faster if you touched the slider versus if you touched the keyboard. Even just pressing once on either cursor key the difference in speed re-rendering all the boxes is very pronounced.

The weird thing is that I'm not seeing that difference at all. Maybe on your system for some reason it's repopulating while the slider is being moved? I can't replicate that though, so I don't really know why that would be.

2 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

If there a video somewhere of what this should look like?

I'd have to record one. I'm in the middle of a bunch of things though so unfortunately I can't do that right now. To be honest, I'm not *that* worried about this issue either way.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The weird thing is that I'm not seeing that difference at all. Maybe on your system for some reason it's repopulating while the slider is being moved? I can't replicate that though, so I don't really know why that would be.

It re-sizes with every press of the arrow key for me, as i think it should. If i hold the key down the box art doesnt re-size until i release the key.

26 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

? Resizing when holding the cursor keys down is happening in real-time as the key is being held down over here - which is the same thing the original person reporting an issue mentioned.  IMO, that's not the issue he was referring to.

I was replying to you, not to him.

Okay, so I'm having some trouble in various ways with the Retro-Bit Gaming Official SEGA Saturn Bluetooth Controllers. At first they won't connect after you paired them and went to sleep mode, but they finally made a Firmware update that keeps them connected even when you have it sleep or turn them off by holding the Home button which makes any other controller stuck being anything but Controller 1 with it saying "Connected" instead of "Paired".

The issue where is comes down to LaunchBox & BigBox is that for some reason the Pause Screen comes up if you use the Select button, but never when you use the Home button. The Home button doesn't do anything except turn on and off the controller and even used to pair it. So I don't know if @Jason Carr could maybe find a way to make the Home button on it act as the Pause Screen in the same ways a XBOX or PlayStation can on their Home/Guide button or not.

Retro-Bit claims they aren't aware of these issues, but will have their team look into it, so I don't know if they will ever do another Firmware update or not, but I know they take forever to respond or get something working right.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:26 PM, Jason Carr said:

It's always possible that we introduced a bug, but I have four machines with various configurations that I run regularly in order to test stability, and I'm not seeing those crashes. So most likely it's either a Windows, .NET Framework, or driver bug that is unique to your machine, but it's always hard to say for sure. I will say that Windows 10 has not exactly been the most stable as of late for me, but it hasn't been affecting LaunchBox or Big Box for me. Just seems like Windows Explorer crashes every 5 minutes lately.

Let me know if unplugging the fridge helps. Otherwise, you might want to try unplugging any other unnecessary things that you have plugged in via USB, and try closing down any background apps, especially anti-virus or security apps.

@Jason Carr
I was able to track my quick crashing which left me without a mouse arrow to a RAM issue. Specifically, I was overclocking it too hard. Once I set it back to manufactures default speeds, I have had no crashing issues with BigBox. Sorry for the run around; hopefully it can help with future people with similar issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pixel said:

8 GB RAM is not enough to run Launchbox anymore. I run Firefox and Launchbox and things start to crash. 99% memory used. I don't know if this is correct. I am buying 16 GB of RAM now.

8GB RAM isn't enough for most anything anymore.

Windows 10 requires 1.5 -2.5GB RAM on average by itself.
Launchbox uses an average of 2 GB RAM by itself for me.
Firefox (and Chrome) will use about 1GB.

That's about 6GB right there and you're not even running a game yet.

I mean, to put things in perspective, modded Minecraft now requires 12GB of system RAM.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

3 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Yeah, older computers have no chance to run Launchbox anymore, unfortunately. I've just installed HyperX 16 GB, 3200MHz, and I can already feel a big difference.

My point is that it isn't Launchbox's fault. It's just a fact of life. My computer is 8 years old and running launchbox just fine... but I'm packing 24 GB ram.

2 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I've used Launchbox for a few years. 8 GB was fine untill recently.

Though, it never run as smooth as now :)

Yeah but all the programs on your PC are using more ram than they were a few years ago, It's not a Launchbox issue. Its just the nature of progress.