LaunchBox Community Forums

10.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 hours ago, Pixel said:

Unfortunately, new Windows 10 did not help. Just hold the left mouse button and move around the boxes. It will gradually go up to 8 or 9 GB of RAM untill system crashes. I had no idea before, but it ate my virtual memory, too, when LB was open long enough for days.

Well that's interesting to know at least. Is it a unique issue when you hold down the left mouse button? Does it still happen if you just click on items instead? That's not a typical way to use the app so I can't say I've ever tested for memory issues doing that. I've done a small bit of testing and haven't replicated it, but we might still be onto something there.

If that's not it, it may be data-related. If you can zip up or send me your data, I can try testing with it.

2 hours ago, Thornback said:

I see, thanks.

So for games with 2 discs only (one being the main game and the other set up as an additional app) it is not supposed to show?

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

no because when it make an additional app (at least in my experience) it always make two one for the additional app and a duplicate of the facing rom. Now if you remove the facing ROM from the additional app I don't know if that may effect it or not.

Yeah, when multi-disc games are imported, two or more additional apps are created. One for each disc.

7 hours ago, Pixel said:

I did it to test things fast (within a few minutes). Yes, it still happens but it can take a day or two. It depends how much you browse the games etc. RAM should be freed but it just does not happen.  I will try with a clean set up to see if it's data related.

I also noticed that I can't left click to select anything after launch. I have to right click, edit first, to be able to left click, and use LB.

---------

I recreated data folder and imported Atari 2600. Working OK. So it must be data (or media) related. My LB set up is over 184 GB of media :D

---------

BTW, audit error that I reported before is gone now :)  That error was data related.

Basically, this error is related to additional apps. I imported Windows platform and happens again. I think that something went wrong during import of GOG, Steam games when they were combined during the import. I can see that GOG games are duplicated in additional apps tab. I will test things later.

Interesting. Can you zip up and PM your data folder? That way I can confirm what's happening. :)

9 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I don't want to take your time, so I tested it myself. I deleted and created new data folder with default settings and imported 1200 games from Steam. All fresh files, only one platform. Scrolling down and clicking the boxes will sooner or later increase RAM. The taken RAM is not freed. When I leave LB without shutting it down and start doing something else, the RAM does not change even a byte.  I will monitor it, but at least we can exclude the data folder and Audit error now.

Could it be related to Attract mode?
I am still getting crashes, but only in attract mode now. Still troubleshooting and looking for a pattern before I bring it up to jason. I was getting them all the time when I had my RAM clocked at its advertised speed. But once I set it to Auto in my BIOS, that got rid of most of the crashes; now I am left with crashes only during Attract mode. I can almost see it coming. Attract mode starts off fine, then it starts struggling with showing the games Clear Logos, stops showing them, then crashed to desktop... Task manager shows nothing is open, but I am missing my cursor as if I was still i BigBox. BigBox is the only program I have this happen... doesn't ever happen in Launchbox either.

4 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

Could it be related to Attract mode?
I am still getting crashes, but only in attract mode now. Still troubleshooting and looking for a pattern before I bring it up to jason. I was getting them all the time when I had my RAM clocked at its advertised speed. But once I set it to Auto in my BIOS, that got rid of most of the crashes; now I am left with crashes only during Attract mode. I can almost see it coming. Attract mode starts off fine, then it starts struggling with showing the games Clear Logos, stops showing them, then crashed to desktop... Task manager shows nothing is open, but I am missing my cursor as if I was still i BigBox. BigBox is the only program I have this happen... doesn't ever happen in Launchbox either.

maybe something in here

On 5/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jason Carr said:

Are you able to reproduce this every time? Have you tried rebooting? In the past, performance issues like this have typically been caused by some other app on your system creating a conflict.

Yes, this happens every time. I tried rebooting. I have disabled pretty much all apps except for Discord just to test this and I did not see any improvements. Of course I disabled and terminated any background programs and services I could as well.
I also added an exclusion folder for Luanchbox to my Windows Defender since someone said they fixed it by disabling it.

I traced its hanging point and Launchbox seems to have trouble getting information from controllers by the looks it, but I have no controllers or any type of dongles connected to or was connected in that session (since boot). Turning them on or connecting them before/after launching Launchbox did not fix it.
The only peripherals connected to are a microphone, and mouse & keyboard with no manufacture software running.

1 hour ago, Android16 said:

Huh? But this is one of the new features right? This isn't a tips or tricks question. It's asking how this new feature works.  Is it only for Flowcontrol or for all instance where you can use images?

I'll ask there anyway.

It is a new feature that was added a couple version ago. I believe 10.11 is when the dynamic duo added custom image types for Wheel and Cover Flow. The xaml thread is more suited also as that is where most of our coders help each other out and looking at that thread it looks like you already got a faster response.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, blank55 said:

In my BigBox why when i clicked image caches and then do refresh all images in bigbox I can't go BACK to my platforms. 

So I have to open Bigbox again??

What theme are you using? I have had this happen when using a theme that is not one of the defaults. Usually if it does happen I can get it to go back to the platforms by switching to a default theme. I then change back to the one I was using after it fixes. I have not had it happen in about a month though.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Pixel said:

I don't want to take your time, so I tested it myself. I deleted and created new data folder with default settings and imported 1200 games from Steam. All fresh files, only one platform. Scrolling down and clicking the boxes will sooner or later increase RAM. The taken RAM is not freed. When I leave LB without shutting it down and start doing something else, the RAM does not change even a byte.  I will monitor it, but at least we can exclude the data folder and Audit error now.

Just combined a few games. And...

1.thumb.png.58f2a4681eccbdedafcab632c8a748f3.png

I've done some more testing myself here as well, and unfortunately I still can't reproduce any issues. I tested with your data, and yes, it really didn't make any difference, most likely because this issue is somehow media-related. I've also tested my own collection with my own media, going through hundreds of games with the game details and screenshots enabled and I have yet to see the RAM ever go over 2 gigs. I'm not sure what's going on really, but I guess there must be something different between your machine and my testing machines that somehow causes the problem.

I'm grasping at straws here, but per your screenshot it looks like maybe you've customized the look of Windows 10 a bit (looking at the Start button)? I really have no idea what could be causing it, but I'd try removing any customizations and closing any background apps to see if that makes any difference.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:27 AM, ZeSystem said:

Yes, this happens every time. I tried rebooting. I have disabled pretty much all apps except for Discord just to test this and I did not see any improvements. Of course I disabled and terminated any background programs and services I could as well.
I also added an exclusion folder for Luanchbox to my Windows Defender since someone said they fixed it by disabling it.

I traced its hanging point and Launchbox seems to have trouble getting information from controllers by the looks it, but I have no controllers or any type of dongles connected to or was connected in that session (since boot). Turning them on or connecting them before/after launching Launchbox did not fix it.
The only peripherals connected to are a microphone, and mouse & keyboard with no manufacture software running.

You're probably onto something with controllers, though I don't know what. Controllers are parsed when you open the Options screen. We read both DirectInput and XInput controllers from the system. Can you check Device Manager to see what drivers are installed and active? All I can figure is that maybe there's some sort of a faulty driver left around, but it's hard to say.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

What theme are you using? I have had this happen when using a theme that is not one of the defaults. Usually if it does happen I can get it to go back to the platforms by switching to a default theme. I then change back to the one I was using after it fixes. I have not had it happen in about a month though.

I solved my problem when I change my resolution PC to 1920x1080.

i have a little question : what is the beta version number  right now ? 

Before the 10.15 official update, i was notified a new beta version several times a week. But since the official 10.15, i still have not  been notified of any beta update. As i haven't unchecked anything in my settings, i'd like to know if it's my Launchbox not updating anymore or if it's normal ? :)

Edited by Elhora

11 minutes ago, Elhora said:

i have a little question : what is the beta version number  right now ? 

Before the 10.15 official update, i was notified a new beta version several times a week. But since the official 10.15, i still have not  been notified of any beta update. As i haven't unchecked anything in my settings, i'd like to know if it's my Launchbox not updating anymore or if it's normal ? :)

10.15 is still the current version, there are no betas for 10.16 yet.