LaunchBox Community Forums

Social aspect of PC gaming

RetroRob62

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh, like making the other people mad because you aren't good at it yet? or what?  I've been the sucky player in a squad.  I've had pretty good luck with not coming across too many toxic people.  But like other's have said, that's why the block and mute functions are there.  You don't even have to deal with them.  block and mute, and they are out of your life.

Congrats on building your first gaming PC. I did that myself as a non-young person, 4 years ago now. It was a bit of a turning point for me, in a modest sort of way. I was going to build an HTPC, was all excited about it. Then sort of randomly discovered Launchbox. And all of a sudden my HTPC build plan had to morph into a gaming PC build! Which was just as well really, since Windows 10 still can't deal with HDR correctly, making it useless for 4k movies. Anyway. Just know that if someone gives you a hard time, they've likely had the time to get that good at a game by being unemployed and living in their parent's basement. Sometimes stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, lol. Online gaming is overrated, I think, anyway. Most games, unless they're the mmorpg variety, have a one player campaign/story/career mode, which, call me antisocial, but that's what I prefer to play.

7 hours ago, usuallee76 said:

Windows 10 still can't deal with HDR correctly, making it useless for 4k movies.

I am sorry if I make this a bit OT but I have used Windows + HDR for 3 years now and beside a few hiccups it works very well. For gaming, some games detect a HDR capable display and trigger HDR mode automatically. Some games expect you to manually toggle the HDR switch in the Windows display settings before starting a game. However this can be automated for use in LaunchBox / BigBox using this program https://github.com/bradgearon/hdr-switch/releases/tag/default and a autohotkey script to start and end the program before and after a game. As far as HDR movies go, I myself use MPC-BE with the MadVR videorenderer which can passthrough HDR metadata (HDR10) to your display. Other videoplayer software can also use the MadVR videorenderer and I believe KODI has native HDR support.

Edited by Koroth

7 hours ago, Koroth said:

I am sorry if I make this a bit OT but I have used Windows + HDR for 3 years now and beside a few hiccups it works very well. For gaming, some games detect a HDR capable display and trigger HDR mode automatically. Some games expect you to manually toggle the HDR switch in the Windows display settings before starting a game. However this can be automated for use in LaunchBox / BigBox using this program https://github.com/bradgearon/hdr-switch/releases/tag/default and a autohotkey script to start and end the program before and after a game. As far as HDR movies go, I myself use MPC-BE with the MadVR videorenderer which can passthrough HDR metadata (HDR10) to your display. Other videoplayer software can also use the MadVR videorenderer and I believe KODI has native HDR support.

There is a HDR version of KODI on github that works perfectly, it triggers and disables HDR when you start/stop a HDR video file. This is also being intergrated into the official KODI 19, so once that is out of alpha/beta testing that will work also.

Fully working HDR versions.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Thanks guys for clarifying my offhand and potentially misleading comment. HDR has always worked fine in Windows as far the the GUI, etc. I was referring specifically to playing HDR video files via Plex on a Windows 10 PC. That never worked right. The picture would look odd. It'd often have a weird blue tint. Something about HDR files, the color gamut or whatever, was not handled correctly. As I recall, when I researched the issue, this was a known problem and a lot of people were grousing about Microsoft's unwillingness or inability to address the issue. But that's been a year or more, now. Sounds like some strides have been made especially with Kodi, as mentioned.

At the time, I didn't want to mess with a stand alone player, 3rd party renderers, etc. Just wanted HDR movies to work, in Plex, on my PC. No joy. I could use the Plex app on my LG TV, video is totally fine there, but unfortunately then Atmos and True HD lossless audio can't be passed to the receiver because my TV lacks eARC. So my media PC then has to transcode the audio on the fly, which results in not only much poorer audio quality, but frequent stuttering as well. So finally it seemed I had no choice other than to bite the bullet and get an Nvidia Shield, which passes through HDR, Dolby Vision as well as Dolby True HD and Atmos perfectly. Haven't looked back since. The Shield is much, much better suited to the task. It's an excellent device. Now, happily, my gaming PC is solely a gaming PC.

Anyway, yes totally off topic. But I find random forum threads all the time which provide helpful info or at least a clue for whatever super specific or obscure issue I'm trying to find a solution for. So hopefully this could be useful for someone. Cheers

1 minute ago, usuallee76 said:

I was referring specifically to playing HDR video files via Plex on a Windows 10 PC. That never worked right. The picture would look odd

Yeah, PLEX on PC simply doesnt support HDR, its as simple as that. You should try the official PLEX addon for KODI, once launched it looks like the plex app but uses the KODI video player, so if you were to use the KODI version i linked and added the PLEX addon to it you can then use plex with HDR.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, PLEX on PC simply doesnt support HDR, its as simple as that.

At the time, I was under the impression the issue was a Windows thing as opposed to a Plex thing but I could be wrong about that. Good to know there's a workaround now with Kodi. Though, with Kodi, I tried and tried, but the UI just doesn't make intuitive sense to me. Things are never located where it seems like they should be. And, like different functions in different places sometimes have the same name, etc. It's definitely not as well thought out and intuitive as Launchbox and Big Box.

If Jason ever wanted to tackle a server/client media solution, as a Plex competitor...Plex now seems more preoccupied with their lame ad supported public domain movie channels. Emby isn't that great. So there's definitely an opening for a skilled and intrepid person or team to fill the void. Jason could probably bang out something almost as good as Plex or Emby within a couple of days. I would crowdfund the shit out of that.

Anyway, for as much as I resented having to get the Shield at the time, I now love it. It can passthrough pretty much any audio or video format known. Great UI, reliable, backlit remote. Basically endgame as far as a Plex client player. You can even game on it, though of course no more LB app. Thanks for sharing.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:22 PM, RetroRob62 said:

I am an older person who wants to start PC gaming. I just built my first gaming PC but I am kinda afraid to game online due to making people mad that are good at it. Any advice ?

I haven't played online seriously for a long time, mainly because I enjoy singleplayer games and also because I'm getting older as well and don't have as much time to "get good". I do play Co-Op games which I play with my friends every once in a while, which is super fun. If you don't have any friends to play with, I'd suggest joining a forum for the specific game and just ask if someone would like to play with you. There are nice people around, I'm sure.

Playing with randos can get nasty pretty quickly, though. As a teenager, I used to play Warcraft III. Once I was in a 2 on 2 random team match. My team lost the game and my dear team mate wrote "I hope your parents die tonight". I still remember this 15 years later. It was actually kind of traumatizing, because I just couldn't believe how anyone could become so hostile because of a game. After that and other hostilities by warcraft 3 strangers, I lost interest in playing online, especially with strangers.

• 1 month later...

First study up - watch how-to videos and learn how to play before you play

Second - find an adult run server/clan with admins always playing

Third - avoid the inner clan politics at all costs

Apologize if you wound or kill teammates asap

Most importantly - Don't be the guy that just ramble talks his little fish brain in game,

crack a joke here and there and call out the important stuff like a pro.