LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause screen button is muting BigBox

juggler

Pressing the game pause button to bring up the pause screen, while in BigBox itself and not while playing a game, will mute the audio of BigBox (i.e. all sound effects and videos are muted). It appears the sound in Windows is being muted. I'd guess this is a bug with the pause screen mute logic triggering regardless of whether a game is playing, unless I'm missing something?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, C-Beats said:

Just want to make sure I understand this situation. Are you intentionally launching the Pause Screen while within Big Box or is it something that is happening accidentally as you navigate and is causing the issue?

Perhaps it's a problem more related to windows than launchbox but it often happens that if I press the HOME button with xboxgamepad, the windows audio mixer goes to mute o.O

Edited by Sbaby

• 4 months later...

I think this is a bug in Launchbox.

When "Mute Audio During Transitions" option in Game Pause menu is enabled pressing the gamepad button assigned to the pause will mute windows. It will happen only first time this button is pressed after launching Launchbox. If you unmute windows manually then no matter how many times the pause button is pressed it won't mute the windows anymore. But restart Launchbox and first time you press the button it will again mute the windows.

This works well if you're inside a game which has pause screen enabled, it will mute the audio when you enable the pause screen, and will unmute it when transition ends. But when you're just in Launchbox menu and press the button there is no game to be paused, and thus no transition to be made. I assume the Launchbox mutes the audio and then never triggers unmute function at the end of transition... or maybe it just happens to fast for windows to notice the unmute, if for example it happens within milisecond of each other?

This also happens if you have Launchbox configured to launch Steam games, because Steam games are not configured to use pause screen (because they have their own overlay). So presing home button shows steam overlay and mutes the audio on first use. Later on it's ok.

Steps to reproduce:

Prerequisites:

* Have " Mute Audio During Transitions" enabled in Pause Menu

* Enable Game Controllers, Choose a Device (in my cause Xbox One controller)

* In Game Controllers -> Mappings map "Show Pause Screen" to a controller button. I configured it to Home/Guide (button 11), but it should work with any button.

1) Launch LaunchBox, wait till it loads. 

2) Press "Show Pause Screen" button

What should happen? Nothing. Nothing should happen, because no game is running and no pause can take place.

What actually happens? Audio is muted.

Note that unmuting audio at that point and pressing the configured button will not repeat the bug again. Restart the Launchbox to repeat the bug.

Currently disabling "Mute Audio During Transitions" is walkaround for this, but ideally this should be fixed, since pausing emulated games with "Mute Audio During Transitions" is a nicer experience, since it mutes audio instantly. Otherwise there's some strange things happening with audio when Launchbox attempts to freeze the emulator process.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can confirm this issue too.

For my case I figured out following workaround - where putting the HotKey command "SoundSet, +1" at the end of every Pause Screen action of each emulator settings:
Screenshot-01.thumb.jpg.e8bf529710b9ef3ec65a5acc7f798f64.jpg

Screenshot-02.thumb.jpg.d5cb64658b4950babd418af79f01e516.jpg

Screenshot-03.thumb.jpg.fd8c370b1a1b990d2a324687528c8bda.jpg

Screenshot-04.thumb.jpg.16e889f553e24da368b7b51c59704a73.jpg

This ensures that the audio is not muted again. On my emulation PC the systems audio level is permanently 100% - because in my case the audio line out is connected to a soundbar  ...

As game pad I use PlayStation 4 controllers in combination with DS4Windows. In LaunchBox the "PlayStation" - button is configured to show/hide the pause screen.

In addition to this workaround I also created a "Profile Action" in settings of each profile inside DS4Windows - where simply said pushing the "PlayStation" button triggering a increase the audio volume:

Screenshot-DS4Windows.thumb.jpg.6f89bb1de39eea5dc410ff7083739973.jpg

Yeah it is a freaking workaround - but works! 😅

• 4 weeks later...

I encountered this issue as well. I initially thought it was either Xbox Game Bar or Steam, but by process of elimination I concluded that this is caused by BigBox and then found this thread while searching for a fix. I'm having to use the disabled "Mute Audio During Transitions" workaround for now.

Edited by mbiard

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

I was able to locate the cause of this issue and it's corrected internally. I'm hoping to get it into the next beta release. Thanks all for the in depth repro steps, it really helped in identifying the issue

thank you very very much ❤️💛👍👏💪💚💙😍 

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

I was able to locate the cause of this issue and it's corrected internally. I'm hoping to get it into the next beta release. Thanks all for the in depth repro steps, it really helped in identifying the issue

Great! Thank you so much! 👍🎮😎

• 1 year later...

I've got a similar issue when " Mute Audio During Transitions" is enabled in the Pause Menu. The sound just completely stops working in windows after opening the pause menu, muting/unmuting and changing the volume doesn't work. I have to restart the computer to get the sound working again.