LaunchBox Community Forums

Is this trolling?

Z3R0B4NG

I just saw while moderating that somebody tried to change 4x Disc to random other categories, i screenshotted the last 2
(1 is a error, 2 is "i'm drunk editing lolz", 3 is suspicious AF, at 4 it is starting to be trolling ... if you ask me).  

Maybe a Admin want to look into educating or banning that person?  

air combat.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Mr. RetroLust said:

This person has been doing it for some time now. I reject them with reasoning message: "Troll" as there is no other reasoning for his behaviour. He has been banned before but makes it a hobby to come back every time, what a life he must have, I pity the fool.

@Jason Carr

Makes me wonder if this is the same 1 person who tends to vote against something that totally belongs as Background art too. I've lately been trying to make sure when I submit things now to make sure it's part of the same title on other Platforms so all can enjoy when it may not already have a Background or whatever else I submit. Thing is sometimes I get things like the other day a 1 vote to disapprove my Duke Nukem 3D backgrounds, and last night a vote against deleting background art for The Punisher on Genesis since it was from the Thomas Jane movie and THQ published game. All it does is make me second guess what some of my entries as to maybe the quality or size wasn't to their liking that I now even ask my Wife what she thinks before I send them out since she too is a gamer and knows how hard I work on accuracy to reflect the original artwork without disgracing it. That's why we sometimes have things in the Database that aren't just Googled up which in some cases is what I also do, but if nothing is found is when I make my own from what was used in items that sold the game.

I want to thank @Retro808 for directing me to the right place about this matter, even though that post and mine are removed even though I got an email explaining why and what happened before his and mine got deleted.

So anyway, what originally was spoken of is that last night the Background I submitted for Putter Golf for SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive got rejected for being mistaken for stock footage or being generic when we have tons of things like NBA games that have a Basketball in the dark as a Background, and even one commented a rejection to it with "-" as their reason which makes no sense either. I actually do my research to assure you all are getting what actually belongs to your favorite games, and what Background I submitted was actually the same photo that got used on the cover art. So now that I know I'm in the right place to speak of this, I would like to know how to make it clearly understood that this Background actually does belong to Putter Golf, and you all can see for yourselves in the photos below. I'm not at all one of these people who just throw in whatever like someone threw in all that Mortal Kombat 9 stuff with the original 3 Mortal Kombat games in which I'm doing my part in cleaning things like that up. I'm also trying to make sure nothing has the game's logo in it so that it doesn't conflict with the Clear Logos too in which I hope you all will help the cause in that as well.

Putter Golf-01.jpg

Putter Golf-01.png

Edited by RULLUR

I mean I know that its part of the game box (because you told me so) but if not I'd totally think that was just some generic golf photo that didn't have anything to do with the game and reject it. That said I am not one of the people who rejected the image (as I don't mess with the DB beyond maybe adding a box front for a game I have that is missing) but I can see why people would just assume its a stock golf photo and reject it.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, and thanks for understanding. I hardly vote either, but when I do I try do what I know for sure about. Like say someone did something for say Vectrex or something I know nothing about I try and skip my vote on it so that I don't become somewhat of a hindrance to what might actually be accurate to something I know nothing about. I can assume at times some will vote against something they know nothing of, and sometimes even be okay with something they don't know and ends up not accurate.

I admit the other day I submitted a Background for The Last Blade 2 as a Clear Logo by accident, and oddly enough it got accepted with no votes against it. I was hoping others would reject it, but I had to request it to be deleted and even said it was uploaded as that by mistake. Just hoping I don't end up making mistakes like that again because I feel I'm doing some injustice there by not giving the community accurate pieces of art and then it causes confusion on many levels based of the perspective of how others utilize these pieces. I wanna do my best in giving everyone what exactly is of a game once they import it and I know Backgrounds need so much work, so I at most try and focus on that unless I see something else that needs added in such a cover from a different region, and may even do some fan art covers too like I did with DOOM II on PC the other day using the artwork they were originally going to go with but later ended up with what is well known today. I figured hardcore DOOM fans would get a kick out of that one too

Edited by RULLUR

• 1 month later...

So are we clear that every version of Cosmic Carnage is called that in every region other than Japan which is called Cyber Brawl? Apparently the one in Asia got rejected today because it was "Spammy" and other poor excuses since I didn't submit a Japanese one for Cyber Brawl. Sometimes I submit stuff that is a tiled Background based on how the game itself displays a Background in sort of a retro feel and because it's like the only thing that truly represents that title until I can manage to work up a way to clean up a piece of cover art of some other thing official used to sell the game and work it in for Background art even though these tiled Backgrounds somewhat end up being looked as if it's against us cleaning up stuff with logos in their, but I strongly feel tiled Backgrounds from the game itself isn't that much of a violation. It's more of the stuff where the game's logo is plastered across the image to where it clashes so badly with the Clear Logo, and also makes it harder to use if a game goes by a different name for a different region or version. I'm not gonna just place one Cosmic Carnage tiled Background because then it'll show up when people get Cyber Brawl and look confusing to have a Cosmic Carnage background with their copy of Cyber Brawl being inaccurate. So to all who rejected this, please understand the true nature of this and not take it as being spamming or whatever. I'm trying to just not leave games without art as much as possible and making sure we have accurate stuff within our Database.

1 hour ago, RULLUR said:

So are we clear that every version of Cosmic Carnage is called that in every region other than Japan which is called Cyber Brawl? Apparently the one in Asia got rejected today because it was "Spammy" and other poor excuses since I didn't submit a Japanese one for Cyber Brawl. Sometimes I submit stuff that is a tiled Background based on how the game itself displays a Background in sort of a retro feel and because it's like the only thing that truly represents that title until I can manage to work up a way to clean up a piece of cover art of some other thing official used to sell the game and work it in for Background art even though these tiled Backgrounds somewhat end up being looked as if it's against us cleaning up stuff with logos in their, but I strongly feel tiled Backgrounds from the game itself isn't that much of a violation. It's more of the stuff where the game's logo is plastered across the image to where it clashes so badly with the Clear Logo, and also makes it harder to use if a game goes by a different name for a different region or version. I'm not gonna just place one Cosmic Carnage tiled Background because then it'll show up when people get Cyber Brawl and look confusing to have a Cosmic Carnage background with their copy of Cyber Brawl being inaccurate. So to all who rejected this, please understand the true nature of this and not take it as being spamming or whatever. I'm trying to just not leave games without art as much as possible and making sure we have accurate stuff within our Database.

Sounds to me like a misunderstanding. Did you write what you were planning to do in the "Reason" field? I warmly recommend to use it to avoid any confusion. Sometimes it might be hard for moderators to guess if there's something not so obvious to everyone.

Thank you for using your time to add missing backgrounds, they really make a difference especially in BigBox!

One more thing on this background topic: I don't know who doesn't do it, but I would personally hope that backgrounds (and back/front cover arts for the matter) would be uploaded in JPG instead of PNG. Those are taking a huge amount of space right now - I'm talking about cases like 0,7MB versus 4MB per image. Screenshots and pictures with a "transparent background" (3D Boxes, logos, discs etc.) are those that really need to be PNG for good upscale and keeping the background transparent. JPG is fine with rectangle shapes otherwise

Edited by kurzih
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kurzih said:

Sounds to me like a misunderstanding. Did you write what you were planning to do in the "Reason" field? I warmly recommend to use it to avoid any confusion. Sometimes it might be hard for moderators to guess if there's something not so obvious to everyone.

Thank you for using your time to add missing backgrounds, they really make a difference especially in BigBox!

One more thing on this background topic: I don't know who doesn't do it, but I would personally hope that backgrounds (and back/front cover arts for the matter) would be uploaded in JPG instead of PNG. Those are taking a huge amount of space right now - I'm talking about cases like 0,7MB versus 4MB per image. Screenshots and pictures with a "transparent background" (3D Boxes, logos, discs etc.) are those that really need to be PNG for good upscale and keeping the background transparent. JPG is fine with equilateral corners otherwise

I usually don't give reasons unless I'm requesting to replace or remove something. I may decide to start doing more reasoning later on to avoid confusion. I just try to quickly get through things since I'm even trying to make sure all Platforms of a game has a Background instead of just certain ones because I know how annoying it is as example that the Genesis version of a game has all these Backgrounds, but like none for your Super Nintendo version.

I understand the space issue, but I'm also going for quality too. PNG for me seems much cleaner looking than JPG, especially like when I finish what I'm working on if I save it as JPG is then looks a bit more grainy than it should be.

Other than all that I'm glad to hear what I'm doing is increasingly becoming a huge help to the community in not only popular classic titles, but also ones that are likely personal favorites to some out there who know doesn't get the loving treatment it actually deserves, especially when art for it is extremely scarce in which I have to dig even deeper in doing the game some justice in creatively finding out some stuff for it more than just a simple Google search.

• 4 weeks later...

How's this for "Simple Photography"?

s-l1600.jpg

ECW Hardcore Revolution-01.png

Rarely do I receive Rejections on something, but I'm starting to notice is some reasons per rejection vote is stated the same way more than once. Like if I get 5 rejection votes on something. I'll see like 3 out of 5 use "-" as their reason or "N" as their reason, and then today got this one, which really makes me wonder how is it that the same person is voting more than once?

image.thumb.png.1971e605633bc68f118634a0bc162bbf.png

Edited by RULLUR

I can see how the above wrestling image would make a nice background for the game, however I rejected it yesterday on the basis of it being upscaled and terrible quality yet still 1.56 MB PNG. I would like to urge people to use compression appropriate to the source image, and that one should have taken no more than maybe a 75 KB JPG to adequately reproduce. PNG should only be used for screenshots and very clean graphics and things that need transparency, not for photographic or scanned content or things that have already been compressed to JPG before. Likewise there's no need to scale up images or max out the JPG quality if the source was very poorly compressed or low-res to begin with. There's nothing to be gained there, and the application can scale the images on the fly.

It might not matter for an image here and there, but when people may have thousands upon thousands of games in their collection it adds up.

• Like 2

Here is an example why I stick to PNG than JPG.

The first was saved as PNG

image.thumb.png.8915fee04fdb17b341aa9e3cbf1a5d3e.png
The second was saved as JPG

image.thumb.png.e352c103c5e4a3442a7cd4d924f53d31.png

Not sure how it looks in the post after doing an upload, but if you look between the white outline and red background you will see all the blurry crap in red near the white line in the JPG version where the PNG is so much cleaner without all that red blurry crap. This is exactly why I stick to PNG for quality as much as possible. Yeah it may be higher in bits, but it's so worth it since it's the biggest piece of artwork in all media that goes with the game titles. Think of it as like the tablecloth to all the nice dishes on table. Would you want a cheap tablecloth to go with top of the line dishware? With that being said, Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Those two images are a bit of a bad example, both of them would be rejected because they do not meet the minimum required size, which is:

• Fan art must be at least 1280 x 720 for Background based art.

Made a quick test: I saved your PNG as a maximum quality settings JPG file and made the canvas size 1920x1080 on Photoshop. Those noises around the edges didn't appear, not even on fullscreen as they do in the JPG version above (launchbox / big box would use background images in fullscreen anyway, so the forum isn't the best place to show examples). Those noises only seem to appear when the image I tested is converted as a smaller image (for example as a thumbnail by this forum software). But that scenario shouldn't happen in BigBox/Launchbox since the image is used as big as it is (native reso I guess, right?).

I think the point with background images is that they should be by default and by rule big enough in resolution that they look good in fullscreen and are not converted to a smaller image size. And I believe JPG is in most cases best for background images as long as they are saved as high/maximum quality JPG instead of auto-conversion/resize/re-save from a different format where there might be quality loss if the default conversion settings do not give the best option.

To put this simple I'm always asking myself two questions for submitting content to the database on top of keeping it inside the rules: Is this the best for the community and how would it (the image in this case) work/look like when it's used by Launchbox / BigBox.

But in the end, as I've said before. I'm just HOPING that people would prioritize background images using the JPG format. PNG is by no means against the rules and might be in some cases a good alternative depending on the source and image type (limited colours, 8-bit style etc.). That's why those two questions above I use as a personal guideline are open for different solutions. And I also would prefer a PNG backround image rather than none :) (BG images for me at the moment are "only" taking around 11GB of HD space + cache space), still some space to bare!

If there would be a vote:
Backgrounds = JPG FTW
Screenshots for older games = PNG FTW

Please, anyone who's more graphical-tech-savvy (most of you I guess :P), please correct me or comment on this, thank you!

I think the examples I made ended up being turned into PNG, but also what I was doing was screenshotting a zoomed in example of what happens when I turn my artwork from PNG to JPG which is that it messes with the quality and creates blurry smudges instead of clean surfaces I originally created it to be. None of those uploads for Exciting Boxing were intended to be used as a full-sized Background. I always try and keep things between 1366x768 to 1920x1080. Sorry of any confusion though

• 2 months later...

image.thumb.png.abb6756dd7d5988f790de6d9b619b948.pngSeems we seriously have a troll voting around against EVERYTHING. Anyone with common sense knows this is the MK9 logo, yet this troll thinks it belong in MK3 for Super Nintendo? Seems whenever I upload anything now there's 1 Rejection vote it, and it's stuff that truly belong to the game title. I hope whoever is troll voting this way gets banned very soon. All it's doing is being extremely counter-productive to getting things completed on the countless titles that grow each day. Had some fool the other day try and place all my Commando stuff in other Platforms they didn't even belong too, and it might've been the same one who thought Stacy Kielber's autograph was WWE The Day of Reckoning 2's game logo as well.

My Wife @Haydee can even tell you all how much time I put into making stuff and uploading stuff into the Database, even if it's for Platform versions and Titles I don't even have because that's how much love and respect we have for LaunchBox about getting things accurate and complete. I wanna say basically if you wanna vote against a Background that clearly belongs, then I suggest you have one to put in that title instead. Please. stop wasting everyone's time being messing up all the progress we are making out there as a community who works hard to bring together the proper content for others who actually care to enjoy it with their games. I don't know what's the goal for one to troll in stuff like this, but I hope @Jason Carr and all the powers that be find a creative and effective way to put a stop to this nonsense where the same person can no longer do it again as a different account or anything.

Edited by RULLUR

9 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Seems we seriously have a troll voting around against EVERYTHING. Anyone with common sense knows this is the MK9 logo, yet this troll thinks it belong in MK3 for Super Nintendo?

Seems like a generic Mortal Kombat logo to me, that could be used on any Mortal Kombat game at all. I dont see any reason why that would have to be used on Mortal Kombat 9, and 9 only.

I don't really understand much as to why the community feels quite careless about Backgrounds when I feel they should be treated in the same respect as any other piece of media. I'm a huge MK fan, and one of those fans who really don't wanna see artwork featuring characters in games they don't belong to or logos done differently placed in the wrong game and so on.

The Background is the biggest piece of media anyone is gonna have with their game on screen, so why not make it feel like if a game is from 1993 also look like 1993 as much as possible? My Wife even feels like the way we do LaunchBox is somewhat of a Museum because we have all these facts in place along with these artifacts from around the world and so much accuracy we all work together on preserving gaming history as best we can, but for the oddest of reason we act like Backgrounds are just no big deal?

I don't mean to seem rude about all this, but I so hope you understand my perspective on this because I feel it's truly cause worth having. The proper Backgrounds really complete the look, and I feel the need more love than what they are getting as of now. I'm working extremely hard to do my part in making the Backgrounds important as anything else we put in