LaunchBox Community Forums

Jason's Arcade Cabinet Build

Jason Carr

Thanks, a lot to get through here!

To start with we are going to add information on "Recommended accessories" in a field in the store, for various products to try to prevent missing of items, for example the Servostik Control Board and possibly the extensions for the trackball, and others.

A small video on the wire replacement is definitely needed, we will add that.

The Mag-Stik Plus sell in large numbers and is a preferred option for many people who prefer a short-throw stick. We have two customers which order these 30 or more at a time for multiple builds so its not really wise to discontinue a product which sells well. 

I will look through the other more specific issues and see whether we can amend.

Thanks for the feedback, always good, we probably dont get enough.

Andy Warne

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 1:09 PM, Jason Carr said:
  • I also purchased the U-Trak trackball. Some feedback on that:
    • I used the included mounting mechanism so that nothing shows up on top of the board. Unfortunately, after about a day of normal play, the gold pieces that are pushed into the plywood ended up falling out and the trackball fell into the cabinet. I've superglued them back into the plywood, and so far it's holding.
    • It would be nice if there was a better mounting mechanism for 3/4" plywood, so that there isn't the double-lip (I'm using the optional trim bezel).

Home Depot has more robust screw in anchors that have a wider thread that can be used even in a damaged hole.

Although not as nice as completely hidden, I used furniture bolts that go entirely through and are rock solid. They still look nice and they have zero interface on using the trackball with their flat and smooth design. (no edges skin will catch)

download.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks amazing @Jason Carr! Fine job, sir. I've been following your build process and re-read all the posts, I'm inspired to venture into building my own.

Seven months in, how do you feel about what you built?

What changes would you have made... that you didn't already change?

What are the best aspects of the build and what are any of the regrets?

If I build a cabinet I plan for it to have a dynamic marquee that changes images based on platform and game selected. There are various aspect ratio marquee images out there - What size/aspect ratio screen would you suggest for a dynamic marquee screen?

You made a post with a parts order from Ultimarc, did that change? Would you have the energy to post a final purchase list or make a PDF of your *complete* parts list, please? This would be a HUGE help in navigating build pitfalls! Thanks for clearing the path for the rest of us! 😆

Gorgeous build! What a great accomplishment.

Edited by Knowcontrol

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, Jason Carr said:

Also, I got the graphics from Rachid! They look amazing, as expected. Here are the graphics for the sides of the cabinet:

3.thumb.jpg.17d71678901cc82f00aec9a742aa6368.jpg5.thumb.jpg.7bf2775d8fb999c9b3b470bd51d89c6e.jpg

And the marquee:

7.thumb.jpg.5014da21cc9fdf502ee54ffdc3a1b7c0.jpg

The control board top:

2.thumb.jpg.dd0effcb4e10595c77a0d8d9c3137e57.jpg

The control board front:

1.thumb.jpg.e8bf9aad4d138c9e3920428eb0a8999d.jpg

And the two side wings on the control board, which should roughly match the sides of the cabinet:

4.jpg.ec5550a75aad23d8b49a7bf0df50a20d.jpg     6.jpg.fe82e2eaaa871f6f33b51d58c1e3d537.jpg

Per the marquee, I plan to put a marquee screen in the middle of it, so I'm not entirely sure if I'll use the edges of it, or something else. I'm up for ideas. My marquee screen is on the smaller side and definitely won't fill up the entire area for the marquee. I'd love to have a one that would, but haven't found one that doesn't break the bank.

Did you commission his artwork for this large of a print?