LaunchBox Community Forums

COMMUNITY Theme Creator for BigBox 2.5 Evaluation

9 minutes ago, blattacker said:

In that case, it's great! Really intuitive to use, and I appreciate that there are so many templates available to use, since it lets me accommodate the borders for platforms with different aspect ratios for their box art! 

thats great to hear, i stressed over this feature

I'd like chuck in my two pence and echo how great the wheel item templates are and how useful they're proving to be. Totally intuitive to create, there was no problem figuring out how they work and in minutes I was creating exactly what I wanted.

Like Blacktacker, I'm also mainly using them for creating selection boxes and helping with problematic changing box sizes, and for that they've worked extremely well. I've also played around a little bit to create some pretty cool effects, there's some cool things you can pull off with a bit of tinkering.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, y2guru said:

correct, 1 config

this feature looks promising to me! I was going to wait until the official release, but now I think I'm going to give the evaluation version a test drive thanks to this addition. anyway to condense settings and make things easier to implement is a good idea to me. really thankful you were able to figure out how to make this work for us all! I'm hopeful this resolves the challenge I was trying to overcome, which is making playlists display the selected game's video accordingly (position and dimensions), going off said selected game's platform.

3 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

this feature looks promising to me! I was going to wait until the official release, but now I think I'm going to give the evaluation version a test drive thanks to this addition. anyway to condense settings and make things easier to implement is a good idea to me. really thankful you were able to figure out how to make this work for us all! I'm hopeful this resolves the challenge I was trying to overcome, which is making playlists display the selected game's video accordingly (position and dimensions), going off said selected game's platform.

yes it will resolve

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Surfdeign said:

Where are the wheel item templates located? I just copied a theme from 2.3 into this one and when I try a template I just get text using the wall view.

You have to create a wheel item template, main window, top of screen click the wheel item template modifier.  or go to the included theme _Theme Components and copy the templates from there

On 12/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, y2guru said:

ah ok, well let me know how you make out with the wheel item templates, no one has commented on using them yet and that was the lion share of version 2.5

At first I was lost on how to create a template.  Then once I copied over the examples and saw what could be done, it looks really promising.  It still took a while with making small edits in the template plus size and rotation changes in the theme for me to achieve the results I wanted. 

Wall views are in my theme and highlighting the selected item is BIG improvement for those!  

I used to have a grid overlaying the wheel to show favorite, broken and completed badges for the selected wheel item.  Now I can actually have the badges as part of the wheel so they are always visible even when not the currently selected wheel item.  

One last thing I want to incorporate is the idea of having switches in my theme so users can control things like whether fanart backgrounds are used or not.  My solution is a bit kludgy, but simple also.  But, I have to be careful to not have too much going on or I suppose performance will take a hit.

Rob

3 minutes ago, Rob_G said:

At first I was lost on how to create a template.  Then once I copied over the examples and saw what could be done, it looks really promising.  It still took a while with making small edits in the template plus size and rotation changes in the theme for me to achieve the results I wanted. 

Wall views are in my theme and highlighting the selected item is BIG improvement for those!  

I used to have a grid overlaying the wheel to show favorite, broken and completed badges for the selected wheel item.  Now I can actually have the badges as part of the wheel so they are always visible even when not the currently selected wheel item.  

One last thing I want to incorporate is the idea of having switches in my theme so users can control things like whether fanart backgrounds are used or not.  My solution is a bit kludgy, but simple also.  But, I have to be careful to not have too much going on or I suppose performance will take a hit.

Rob

So you like it?

btw wallviews are taking a hit when using templates, I’m addressing that right now

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, y2guru said:

So you like it?

btw wallviews are taking a hit when using templates, I’m addressing that right now

Yes, I like it.  I'm not going to get too fancy with it, but definitely the badge support is great!

I've now gone into a holding pattern for 2.5 release.  

Rob

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

Well ... I have tested, tweaked and reinforced the code to the best of my ability in the time I had leading up to today.

Should I pull the trigger and release Version 2.5 ?

Only if you accept this as an offering.

Oh y2guru, oh y2guru

Thy theme creator o'plenty

oh y2guru oh y2guru

thy wait release unbeary

now bring to us the theme create

so we can develop then procrastinate

oh y2guru, oh y2guru

release please to thine community

• Like 2
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

6 hours ago, Rob_G said:

One thing in 2.3 that also happens in 2.5 is where platform clear logos won't show while editing a view and a playlist is selected.

It does show once Big Box is loaded

Rob

I found the work around for using platform clear logo metadata images not showing is to make sure the platform clear logo filename matches the name of the platform.  

Rob  

• Game On 1