LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0 3.4

(13 reviews)

22 Screenshots

About This File

Happy Christmas or Yule brothers!

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0

Important: Press follow button in the upper right corner to get notified for any future updates to this project, future updates to this page will not be pushed to the "What's New" section.

I was inspired by the Mame 3D Boxes by @Robin55 and @Reevesad and the work by @spycat and @MadK9 

At first I experimented to convert Robin's work to a darker color as it fits my dark colored setup better, one thing let to another and was helped enormously by @Robin55 in the process of automation and more, if it wasn't for all his help and work this project wouldn't have happened, thanks again so much brother! \m/

The 3D boxes are mostly for the Mame set (could include other emulators as well) but only includes Arcade video games, no pinball, fruit machines and such.

Features:

• Covers based on official flyers, instruction flyers or fan art, customized official artwork and more. I've hunted down previously artwork missing from databases and/or very rare flyers, original resolution of these images can be low some times.
  • Each box has a logo for the game, if it was missing I've hunted it down or extracted it from images (I upload these logos to the database as well)
  • Each box has a logo of the company that either developed or published it (some flyers may have a different publisher from another region, bit confusing at times)
  • Each box is manually color corrected, cleaned and optimized
  • Some games have a second alternative version, made from cabinet side art, marquees or from a different region for example

Please remember if you miss boxes to also check the naming convention of the file and if it is the same as the most recent version in the database. Any entry with "The" in front (Like The Astyanax) will be included in the QRST pack.
NOTE! : After installing the images you have to select all (or any alphabetical range) arcade games (CTRL+A = select all) go to Tools and click 'Refresh selected images', let it load and cache and the games should now display the right 3D boxes. 

Hope you like :)

Credits
Thanks go out to anyone contributing and making art for the launchbox games database.

Thanks for any help, encouragement and advice:
@Robin55 @spycat @MadK9 @Reevesad @Jason Carr @Kondorito @zetec-s-joe @Fablog @andyco47 @mikty @PoloniumRain

Special thanks to:
@neil9000 and @Retro808 for those logistics ;) \m/

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

What's New in Version 3.4   See changelog

Released

- Added DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou thanks to @PoloniumRain for making it

• Like 43
  • Thanks 23
  • Haha 1
  • Unusual Gem 8

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Reevesad If you have prepared all fronts/flyers you can send it to me and I can automate the process for you and send them back again

was just going through your tutorial to start with. Will get what I need and get back to you. cheers.

• Like 1

Just finished uploading and replacing all 3D boxes to the database, added loads missing flyers, artwork and logo's, added color corrected flyers, added missing games to the database, corrected info etc. I think in total an amount of 5500 images added/replaced. So you might want to scrape your mame/arcade collection in 2 days from now (database mods will be finished by then).

• Like 5

First of all thanks for all the great work on these 3D boxes, super. I do have a question, is there a way to rename these boxes to there original Mame names?

Greetings 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krater9 said:

First of all thanks for all the great work on these 3D boxes, super. I do have a question, is there a way to rename these boxes to there original Mame names?

Greetings 

I wanted to do this as well but as far as people informed me there is no automatic way of doing this.

Hey I never commented b4 on here but the boxes are gr8 and a huge thanks for the action and tutorial....i used it and it works perfectly...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, krater9 said:

Thanks for your reply, I already thought that was the case or do them one by one but that insane :)

Yep insane is what it takes lol ;)

7 minutes ago, sanchezmike01 said:

Hey I never commented b4 on here but the boxes are gr8 and a huge thanks for the action and tutorial....i used it and it works perfectly...

Glad you like, if you like would you like to share your work as well? :)

I definitely will.....right now I'm editing wonderswan color 2d images to use ur action script ...basically will cut the top part of original 2d art to remove the swancrystal/wonderswan logo part ....and changed the color of your boxart png template from black to white....not official but I like all boxart facing the same way...the 3d boxart available everywhere is nice but facing the opposite direction and a bit angled

• Like 1

On a side note....it will be possible to change mame box names with a hyperspin tool...its not 100% perfect but I ran a quick test and many were renamed correctly....some will need to still be renamed by ticking a box with the corresponding boxart name to match the rom description  ..ti be 100% will take time but not as much as doing it 1 by 1

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

Released Just now

Version 2.2

•  Added "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time" box as it was named to the european Hero turtles instead of Ninja in the packs.
  •  Added previously missing Konami's 'The Main Event', two versions.
  •  Boxes have been uploaded to the database as well.

9 hours ago, Cyclotrode said:

@Mr. RetroLust Can you create a Root Beer Tapper and Pirate Pets box? I attached the flyer and the Root Beer Tapper logo is located here: https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Root_Beer_Tapper

Can't find a Pirate Pete logo though. ?

Root Beer Tapper.jpg

Pirate Pete.jpg

Done, you can download the update pack 2.3 :)

Version 2.3

•  Added Root Beer Tapper and Pirate Pete per request
  •  3D Boxes, logo's and fixed up flyers have been uploaded to the launchbox database as well
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Done, you can download the update pack 2.3 :)

Version 2.3

•  Added Root Beer Tapper and Pirate Pete per request
  •  3D Boxes, logo's and fixed up flyers have been uploaded to the launchbox database as well

Awesome!! Both look very nice and great job with the Pirate Pete logo on the spine! Thanks!! ?

• Game On 1

Hey @Mr. RetroLust I was just trying to download the full pack of these from emumovies as its easier to get one zip rather than multiples, but there is something wrong. The file is only 53.74mb,

image.thumb.png.83c71b319158df4f9b002ccfde9a50be.png and when unzipped 7zip throws a ton of errors of missing files and i actually end up with only 49 covers.

image.thumb.png.61c92debbead342a6475b96b03a417d5.pngimage.thumb.png.0718debe51cf6adafdf1f4dc0082ce58.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Hey @Mr. RetroLust I was just trying to download the full pack of these from emumovies as its easier to get one zip rather than multiples, but there is something wrong. The file is only 53.74mb,

image.thumb.png.83c71b319158df4f9b002ccfde9a50be.png and when unzipped 7zip throws a ton of errors of missing files and i actually end up with only 49 covers.

image.thumb.png.61c92debbead342a6475b96b03a417d5.pngimage.thumb.png.0718debe51cf6adafdf1f4dc0082ce58.png

Thanks for noticing, the total zip should be around 4gb, I didnt have any errors while uploading so I suspect there's something wrong with emumovies @Charco do you know what could be wrong?

Edit: Sorry Charco I ment @circo lol 

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

4 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks for noticing, the total zip should be around 4gb, I didnt have any errors while uploading so I suspect there's something wrong with emumovies @Charco do you know what could be wrong?

lol, i think you meant to tag @circo, not @Charco :) 

• Haha 1

These aren't actually available in emumovies sync currently as it needs to have the base naming fixed for it to work correctly.  As far as I know it was uploaded to the site and is available on the site, but it already uses the naming that launchbox renames it to however it won't actually scrape correctly with those file names, they need to be the actual rom names.  However you can manually install them by downloading from website and manually putting in proper artwork directory.

Edited by circo

1 minute ago, circo said:

These aren't actually available in emumovies sync currently as it needs to have the base naming fixed for it to work correctly.  As fart as I know it was uploaded to the site and is available on the site, but it already uses the naming that launchbox renames it to however it won't actually scrape correctly with those file names, they need to be the actual rom names.  However you can manually install them by downloading from website and manually putting in proper artwork directory.

Thanks @circo but that is the issue, the zip on the website is incorrect. The file page says the zip contains 3799 files, but in reality its only 53.74mb and only contains 49 images.

image.thumb.png.afd4a51ca2390a7ba86961260e6eae57.pnghttps://emumovies.com/files/file/3755-arcade-3d-boxes-20/

Yep and it should be around 4gb as well, took some time to upload the complete file as well so I guess it's a server thing or something?

Oh I see, yeah checked the logs and the upload failed.  That's why we have this note on the submissions page

Please select a Category to upload files.

Packs or upload with multi part files should be compressed, If the total upload is over 500MB please use multi part rar files.

If you would like to be considered for Content Contributor status please submit a support ticket and select "Request For Content Contributor Status"

Alternatively if you want to throw it up on the ftp I can easily package it for you so it works.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, circo said:

Oh I see, yeah checked the logs and the upload failed.  That's why we have this note on the submissions page

Alternatively if you want to throw it up on the ftp I can easily package it for you so it works.  

Thanks for explaining, I think it might be better to delete it until I find someone who can convert them to mame naming as it hasn't much purpose like this anyway, I can find the edit details button but no delete button though.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:25 AM, Mr. RetroLust said:

I think it might be better to delete it until I find someone who can convert them to mame naming as it hasn't much purpose like this anyway

@Mr. RetroLust I am new here, but I could take on the task of converting them to the MAME naming convention in my spare time. I've been converting some of them already for my gaming image. It will take a while to do all of them though since there are close to 3,800 images.

I do have another request for you...I noticed on the Make Trax box that you used the Japanese Crush Roller flyer. I found a couple of Make Trax flyers online if you have a chance to create 3D boxes for them. The logo in the LaunchBox database will be good for the side.

Make Trax-01.jpg

Make Trax-02.jpg

• Like 1