LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0 3.4

(13 reviews)

22 Screenshots

About This File

Happy Christmas or Yule brothers!

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0

Important: Press follow button in the upper right corner to get notified for any future updates to this project, future updates to this page will not be pushed to the "What's New" section.

I was inspired by the Mame 3D Boxes by @Robin55 and @Reevesad and the work by @spycat and @MadK9 

At first I experimented to convert Robin's work to a darker color as it fits my dark colored setup better, one thing let to another and was helped enormously by @Robin55 in the process of automation and more, if it wasn't for all his help and work this project wouldn't have happened, thanks again so much brother! \m/

The 3D boxes are mostly for the Mame set (could include other emulators as well) but only includes Arcade video games, no pinball, fruit machines and such.

Features:

• Covers based on official flyers, instruction flyers or fan art, customized official artwork and more. I've hunted down previously artwork missing from databases and/or very rare flyers, original resolution of these images can be low some times.
  • Each box has a logo for the game, if it was missing I've hunted it down or extracted it from images (I upload these logos to the database as well)
  • Each box has a logo of the company that either developed or published it (some flyers may have a different publisher from another region, bit confusing at times)
  • Each box is manually color corrected, cleaned and optimized
  • Some games have a second alternative version, made from cabinet side art, marquees or from a different region for example

Please remember if you miss boxes to also check the naming convention of the file and if it is the same as the most recent version in the database. Any entry with "The" in front (Like The Astyanax) will be included in the QRST pack.
NOTE! : After installing the images you have to select all (or any alphabetical range) arcade games (CTRL+A = select all) go to Tools and click 'Refresh selected images', let it load and cache and the games should now display the right 3D boxes. 

Hope you like :)

Credits
Thanks go out to anyone contributing and making art for the launchbox games database.

Thanks for any help, encouragement and advice:
@Robin55 @spycat @MadK9 @Reevesad @Jason Carr @Kondorito @zetec-s-joe @Fablog @andyco47 @mikty @PoloniumRain

Special thanks to:
@neil9000 and @Retro808 for those logistics ;) \m/

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

What's New in Version 3.4   See changelog

Released

- Added DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou thanks to @PoloniumRain for making it

• Like 43
  • Thanks 23
  • Haha 1
  • Unusual Gem 8

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 minutes ago, Cyclotrode said:

@Mr. RetroLust I am new here, but I could take on the task of converting them to the MAME naming convention in my spare time. I've been converting some of them already for my gaming image. It will take a while to do all of them though since there are close to 3,800 images.

I do have another request for you...I noticed on the Make Trax box that you used the Japanese Crush Roller flyer. I found a couple of Make Trax flyers online if you have a chance to create 3D boxes for them. The logo in the LaunchBox database will be good for the side.

Make Trax-01.jpg

Make Trax-02.jpg

Thanks man, that would really be cool! Theres one thing though, some games have like 4 different boxes, maybe a good idea to take the best looking box for the main folder and the alternatives inside a subfolder. I'll convert the make trax box tomorrow, stay tuned :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks man, that would really be cool! Theres one thing though, some games have like 4 different boxes, maybe a good idea to take the best looking box for the main folder and the alternatives inside a subfolder. I'll convert the make trax box tomorrow, stay tuned :)

Yeah I noticed a few games where I named the best looking one the standard convention and the remaining ones I put a gamename-1.png, gamename-2.png, etc., but the alternate sub-folder would be better. 

I have already completed the numbered game boxes, so I will start working down the alphabet. :)

Edited by Cyclotrode
  • Game On 1

If u use hyperspin rom manager app, that will rename most of the boxart...all u need is a good official hyperspin mame XML, content folder (basically the folder that holds the boxart) and destination folder...once u do a scan , u can go 1by1 to make sure its correct and untick any that is mismatched...others will still need manual renaming but way better than 1by1 renaming

• Like 1

I've almost gotten all of the game boxes converted to the MAME naming scheme. All I have to do are the S and T games list, then I will go over them to make sure I didn't miss any before zipping them up. I should be done by the end of the week at most and possibly by Wednesday. I have to find a way to upload them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cyclotrode said:

I've almost gotten all of the game boxes converted to the MAME naming scheme. All I have to do are the S and T games list, then I will go over them to make sure I didn't miss any before zipping them up. I should be done by the end of the week at most and possibly by Wednesday. I have to find a way to upload them.

Awesome that went fast bro! You could upload them to emumovies but keep this in mind, quote: "Packs or upload with multi part files should be compressed, If the total upload is over 500MB please use multi part rar files."

@Mr. RetroLust The conversion is complete!!!! 

I do have an account at Emumovies, but it's only the standard non-pay version. ? However, I could create a Bittorrent file and attach that to a DM so you can download the zip files and get them uploaded to the Launchbox FTP. I don't keep the laptop where the files are stored powered on all the time, but if I know when you are available for a couple of hours I would make sure it's on.

I named the 5 zip files "Arcade_3D_Boxes_2.5_-_xxxx" with the xxxx being the same as you have listed in the download link. I combined all of the update packs, but didn't include the tutorial file. Each folder in the zip files have a separate sub-folder of the alternate artwork with the naming convention gamename-alt1, alt2, etc. There were some boxarts that had one name but the box was a different name (like the Make Trax/Crush Roller box) that I either named the proper MAME name or if the box was identical to another named box I removed it.

• Like 1

Holy cow you work fast brother! :o Sounds really good! Could you send it via https://wetransfer.com/ ? You can upload 2gb at a time with this so I think you only have to upload 2 zips? I'll send you my email address in pm to send it to, I'll make sure it gets to emumovies then :)

11 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Holy cow you work fast brother! :o Sounds really good! Could you send it via https://wetransfer.com/ ? You can upload 2gb at a time with this so I think you only have to upload 2 zips? I'll send you my email address in pm to send it to, I'll make sure it gets to emumovies then :)

8 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

On the other hand @Cyclotrode maybe you can get a contributer account from @circo for the work you've put into this? And send it to him through emumovies ftp afterwards?

I could do it either way. With the wetransfer link I would have to send 1 of the zips that's 1gb then send 2 zip files in 2 separate instances that total about 1.4gb. Whatever way works for you! ?

Edited by Cyclotrode
  • Like 1

@Mr. RetroLust Is there any chance to post a missing boxes list,  so people could contribute with media like flyers, etc. to help you with this huge work?

If not already done, i could do a missing list based on the latest MAME Romset.  

Let me know if i can help in any way.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ci2own said:

@Mr. RetroLust Is there any chance to post a missing boxes list,  so people could contribute with media like flyers, etc. to help you with this huge work?

If not already done, i could do a missing list based on the latest MAME Romset.  

Let me know if i can help in any way.

Thanks!

I've finished this work some time ago, in the mean time I'm not using photoshop anymore but I have added the photoshop action files, instructions and other tools to create these boxes in this download section. If you like to create the missing boxes that would be great and i'll add them, if you can't but want to create a list for missing games that would be helpful as well i'm sure someone can finalize them. ?

1 minute ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I've finished this work some time ago, in the mean time I'm not using photoshop anymore but I have added the photoshop action files, instructions and other tools to create these boxes in this download section. If you like to create the missing boxes that would be great and i'll add them, if you can't but want to create a list for missing games that would be helpful as well i'm sure someone can finalize them. ?

I will do the missing list, and try to find the needed media and hope someone can use your action files to try to finish this set.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Sorry to post after so long,  i was just wondering if there is any other auto 3D box makers like the one added here for other platforms as this one works great.

Edited by PaulyC

8 hours ago, PaulyC said:

Sorry to post after so long,  i was just wondering if there is any other auto 3D box makers like the one added here for other platforms as this one works great.

I have no experience with other box makers, maybe post this question as a new post somewhere in the forum i'm sure you'll get a good response

10 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I have no experience with other box makers, maybe post this question as a new post somewhere in the forum i'm sure you'll get a good response

OK, thanks for the reply 👍

• Game On 1