Rincewind Theme 1.9.6

(3 reviews)

9 Screenshots

About This File

Total Game Count now works in all Languages

Updated the plugin Now on the new version of @NJDave71's Plugin (v4),

You may need to Unblock the plugin.

Credit to @NJDave71 for his plugin

Wow finally ready to release!! First off I have to mention that this is my first attempt to design a theme and secondly thank you to @viking as it was the base for the theme, and @criticalcid for all the help when I got stuck :)

Please install the font supplied in the folder before you start.

This theme has been designed around these platform clear logos and I recommend installing them to get the intended look

- simply download them and add them in the  ...\ LaunchBox \ Themes \ <Theme name> \ Images \ Platforms \ Clear Logo.
Remember to make sure the files are named the same as your platform name.

I also recommend using these platform images.

- simply download them and add them in the  ...\ LaunchBox \ Themes \ <Theme name> \ Images \ Platforms \ Banner.
Remember to make sure the files are named the same as your platform name.

What's New in Version 1.9.6   See changelog

Released

Total Game Count now works in all Languages

Updated the plugin Now on the new version of @NJDave71's Plugin (v4),

You may need to Unblock the plugin.

Still cant sort out the animated gif not scaling properly on different monitor resolutions, Would love it if anyone has any ideas...... HELP!!! ;) 

Categories & Playlist TOTAL GAMES now work. Credit goes to @NJDave71 for his HelperControl Plugin. 

TOTAL GAMES should now align properly on 4k screens

Removed scanline effect from all videos

Added the Community Star Rating to be displayed on most game views.

Also removed the rounded corners so that VLC will now work (shame on vlc).

Remember if you using the Banners and Clear Platform Logos from the above links then you will need to add them back in.

Rincewind---update.thumb.png.bfc3b1f3558ff38a750ca221d9e3ecc6.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

i would also mention to use Nostalgia as Videos for this theme.   - simply download them and add them in the ...\ LaunchBox \ Themes \ <Theme name> \ Videos \ Platforms \ .
As the quality just goes beyond the roof with these two combined. ! :D
Also recommend right - clicking on the big red button that says  "Download this file" and choose open link in new tab . Then download them ... without the download tab vanishing  . 

Edited by stephy

@stephy yes those Viking videos do look great in some of the views, where on the wheel view any of the platform videos work well.

The videos are a problem right now and one that @Jason Carr knows about, If you have not tried already use the Window Media Player as the video playback engine, you can change it in the options.

The screenshot you added you should be able to change the image type to the cartridges if you have it mapped to a key in the settings and it will cycle through them all. I'm not sure what you mean with the TV zooming in can you add a screenshot, Thanks

Rincewind : Can you look in Launchbox/images/platforms and zip that folder and send to me? or upload somewhere. 

I've other platform buttons and I can't / don't know how to get the original ones back. 

Really like this theme, it's my daily driver now.

Any chance you'll be adding a "series/playlist" view in the wheel style?

Edited by JPGIII

Beautiful theme nice and clean well done :) Just a quick question. All my gameplay videos dont seem to fit in the tv in the tv view and in other views some videos dont fit or dont play at all i am running at 4k but have switched to 1080p to test if it was the resolution that was doing it but its still the same any ideas?? 

Thank You, There are some problems with video playback have you tried using the WindowsMediaPlayer instead of the VLC engine you can change it in the Options, Let me know if it works :) 

On 3/3/2017 at 7:36 AM, Rincewind said:

Thank You, There are some problems with video playback have you tried using the WindowsMediaPlayer instead of the VLC engine you can change it in the Options, Let me know if it works :) 

I've run into some issues with video playback as well. I love the theme though, and Rincewind is one of my favorite discworld characters so I love to select it from the menu, it's just that I get audio from the video, but not the video, but sometimes the video shows up properly. Is there a fix for that? Switching to windows media player doesn't seem to do it for me.

Thanks @Pyrometheous , I don't know why the video playback is so bad for some people, for me it works with the WMP engine ok. This was my first stab at making a theme and I used alot of the code from exciting themes and mashed it together @CriticalCid helped alot. I'm not sure if one of the other.... more experienced :D theme makers might know if there's some bug in the code... @Grila @CriticalCid @eatkinola @Maddoc1007 @viking @vsilvalopes @faeran @SNAK3ATER or anyone I missed.

This is the point that I find out it needs to be redone from the ground up xD (which is a possibility I know)

Oh and 'Rincewind' is also my fav character from discworld, so is 'Death' but I think death is a bit on the morbid side so I went with the first option xD

I think Death, Tiffany, and Rincewind are my favorites. Oh, and I think I'd lump Susan in there with Death. Did you see the Hogfather movie? It's awesome, I think it was on Netflix for a while, but not sure.

Anyway, back on topic. This weekend I tinker a little more with the settings on my side, I might have something setup wonky over here. Today is a PS1 emulation day (partly), trying out RetroArch using Austin's Tutorial, we'll see how it goes :-)

Keep up the awesome, I hope everyone is able to help you out with the video bits. Again, I love the theme otherwise :-D

On 5/4/2017 at 11:18 PM, Rincewind said:

Thanks @Pyrometheous , I don't know why the video playback is so bad for some people, for me it works with the WMP engine ok. This was my first stab at making a theme and I used alot of the code from exciting themes and mashed it together @CriticalCid helped alot. I'm not sure if one of the other.... more experienced :D theme makers might know if there's some bug in the code... @Grila @CriticalCid @eatkinola @Maddoc1007 @viking @vsilvalopes @faeran @SNAK3ATER or anyone I missed.

This is the point that I find out it needs to be redone from the ground up xD (which is a possibility I know)

Oh and 'Rincewind' is also my fav character from discworld, so is 'Death' but I think death is a bit on the morbid side so I went with the first option xD

@Rincewind Downloaded your theme to see what was wrong with the videos BUT Videos are working as expected in all views with windows media player the only view that no videos are working in is the horizontal wheel 1 looking at the code i couldn't find your video transitions:TransitionPresenter hence no videos.  Also i tried to see this view in Visual studio but no go as you will see from the screenshot as your coverfactory is broken even though the code i went through it and it seems fine so i dont know where it is broke i think you will have to ask Jason on this and maybe he will look at the theme for you.  So the only view that people should be having problems with is the Horizontal wheel 1 all the other views platform and games are working perfect.

Untitled.png

@Rincewind not being able to have a look in visual studio on views using coverfactory is not your themes fault i am running the latest beta and Vstudio cannot find the files it needs due to something missing in the beta to view these views so you just need to let people know if video was intended for the horizontal wheel 1 view  or if it is a view that does not use video 

Edited by Maddoc1007

@Maddoc1007 thank you for taking a look at the theme, I do remember one of the views not working in VS so I used notepad++ to edit it instead. I think your right the Horizontal Wheel 1 view is not supposed to have video playing

@Rincewind ok, it's back to not working. I just updated my entire library's worth of vidoes (finally purchased a fulll emumovies license), and now the videos do play, but each video scales to the TV differently. Some of the videos are teeny tiny, and others will be off center, or some even scale up so you can only see a small part of the video on the TV. Not sure if that helps you out at all. Let me know if there is any extra info I can give you or anything I can do to help fix this :-) again thank you so much for your work on this theme and the platform logos!

It could be you need to make sure the image names are exactly the same as your platform names, I am currently in the process of making an update for the theme too :) please let me know if that was your problem @Jcabral4

Hi,

I love your theme. I've been messing around with it and created a platform view that compliments the BoxesGamesView. I'm happy to upload it if you're interested.

As far as the video issues, I had the same problems others are having. Some of my videos played and fit correctly inside the TV and others didn't. What I found fixes the problem on any screen that plays the video inside the TV image is to replace the current lines of video code with this --

Example: BoxesGamesView.xaml -- replace the current lines --

<!-- VIDEO BACKGROUND -->
<Viewbox Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="4" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" Grid.RowSpan="8" Stretch="UniformToFill" >
<transitions:TransitionPresenter TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="true"/>
</Viewbox>

with this --

<transitions:TransitionPresenter Grid.Row="1" Grid.RowSpan="8" Grid.Column="4" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="true" />

I hope this helps some people out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbweiners said:

<Viewbox Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="4" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" Grid.RowSpan="8" Stretch="UniformToFill" >
<transitions:TransitionPresenter TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="true"/>
</Viewbox>

with this --

<transitions:TransitionPresenter Grid.Row="1" Grid.RowSpan="8" Grid.Column="4" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" TransitionSelector="{Binding ImageVideoTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding ImageVideoView}" IsContentVideo="true" />

Do you know which files in particular need to be changed, I just went into the \views folder and there are 29 .xaml files...

EDIT

I went through them all, and the only ones with 

</Viewbox>

are

• BoxesGamesView.xaml
  • CoverFlowWithDetailsGamesView.xaml
  • TextGamesView.xaml

that I was able to find anyway. The files should be in LaunchBox\Themes\Rincewind\Views

EDIT 2

That seems to work almost perfectly, it fits from left to right perfectly, but it will show black bars on the top and bottom of the screen for wide-screen videos. Not a big deal by any means (since I'm using gameplay footage and most of my retro games are 4:3 anyway), but my PC library is pretty much all 16:9 and I think I'd rather have the preview cropped. Very minor gripe though, considering I can actually see the gameplay now :-) Great job @bbweiners!

Edited by Pyrometheous

I'm not sure if there are any other views that use, the old retro TV wallpaper, with a video playing inside it. If there are, it will work on any of those.

• Like 1

@bbweiners and I broke some of the other views... I'm remoting into the computer right now, I think it would be best to tinker with this at home. The videos that take up the whole screen are broken now. But all the TV ones are perfect (minus the aspect ratio thing).

EDIT I actually broke the TV bit a little as well. It looks like all of the video is moved up a bit, even with 4:3 video, so the very top is cropped out, and the bottom doesn't start until a bit above the bottom of the TV

Capture.thumb.PNG.fd009205f97a3fea4c3ef7f6729b34ab.PNGI really should do this at home :P making these changes and testing it is really slow with the lag between home and work.

Edited by Pyrometheous

Yeah, the fix only works on the views with the RetroTV wallpaper. I actually like that 16:9 videos have the black bars at the top and bottom. It's just like it used to be on the old tube TV's. If you want to get the videos to display correctly on the other views, you'll have to play with these values:

Grid.Row=" "

Grid.Column=" " 

Grid.ColumnSpan=" "

Grid.RowSpan=" "  

Grid Row affects vertical positioning.

Grid Column affects Horizontal positioning.

Grid.ColumnSpan and Grid.RowSpan affect the size.