LaunchBox Community Forums

Huge Mame Marquee Collection including many in 4K resolution 5.6

(5 reviews)

16 Screenshots

About This File

I use the awesome Bigbox function to display marquees on a secondary monitor. For years I've been collecting high res Mame arcade marquees from all over the internet and since the start of this project got huge help from people in the community to expand this collection, please see the credits below. Not all marquees are in 4K but many are, I've down scaled the resolution to max 3840 pixels wide and max 2160 pixels high and saved all in .jpg format for a good size and quality balance. This project includes Naomi and Atomiswave marquees as well as other arcade systems.

These marquees go hand in hand with this bezel project: 

Credits 
I have forgotten where I got all marquees through the years but I know many came from the legendary @Mr. Do collection see: https://mrdo.mameworld.info/index.php and the many members that create artwork at: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
@ArsInvictus is certainly one of the providers as well. A huge thank you to @mOa and @JonnyModlin for providing many many marquees to this collection. Many lower resolution marquees came from the legendary team of AntoPisa at https://www.progettosnaps.net/

Also a huge thanks to the following people and sites: @PapaShine, @Dreamstate@flanx, imbord3rlin3, @djweevil666http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/, @THKhttps://flyers.arcade-museum.com/https://www.flyerfever.com/https://www.recreativas.org/, Ken at https://www.flickr.com/photos/10707024@N04/zzzaccaria.com, Hasan Tasdemir from Nationaal Video Game Museum for the opportunity to photograph at your amazing museum. 
https://www.nationaalvideogamemuseum.nlhttps://segaretro.org/@seijurou and all the logo makers and artwork scanners and submitters for the LB database and other databases.

Hope you enjoy this collection.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

What's New in Version 5.6   See changelog

Released

- Uploaded the collection in 3 packs, because one big download caused errors.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 8
  • Game On 2
  • Unusual Gem 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Awesome job with this. I really appreciate you taking the time putting this together and I am sure anyone that has a secondary marquee monitor will appreciate it as well because there is a lot of marquee artwork out there that is not that high of a quality.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this.  Are these automatically part of the database or must I download the file and then manually place each marquee in the appropriate folder?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morris Schaffer said:

Thanks for this.  Are these automatically part of the database or must I download the file and then manually place each marquee in the appropriate folder?

Glad you like :) Download the file select all images in the zip and extract the images to [launchbox folder]\Images\Arcade\Arcade - Marquee

8 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Glad you like :) Download the file select all images in the zip and extract the images to [launchbox folder]\Images\Arcade\Arcade - Marquee

Super.  Don't have marquee screen yet but it's happening soon enough and in that case I will be prepared.  :)

• Game On 1

24 minutes ago, NeonNightRide said:

Thank you so much! I know this must have taken a lot of work over the years.  Much appreciation for sharing this! 

Oh I havent done much of the work though, just collecting and making a few of the marquees myself. Have fun ;)

• Thanks 1

What's New in Version 1.2

- Added 63 Updated Marquees: I did a complete revisit of the marquees I have in my collection of around 1300 MAME games. This resulted in a collection of marquees I found in the LB database and online, A.I. upscaled low quality marquees (some very nice results, it's amazing what AI can do these days), color corrected marquees and marquees that had white edges for example that where never cleaned and so forth.

Here's one that wasn't available before in this quality (with the help of A.I.)

venture.jpg.b53f4816866c91169de2cbf2ac72

Coming this month or the next; 422 generated 4k marquees more about that later.

• Like 1

What's New in Version 1.3

I decided to revisit the marquees in the collection just as the 1.2 update but this time revisiting all marquees that where under 3000 pixels wide. 
The result is 253 updated marquees, I either found new online, in the LB database, (re)created, updated, color corrected or A.I. enhanced and A.I. upscaled.
Hope it gives you joy watching them on your marquee monitor this holiday season :)
Have a great X-Mas and a happy 2023!

Edited by Mr. RetroLust
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Wow, this is amazing!  Any suggestions on a good marquee monitor that would fit in say, a recroommasters cab?

Thanks man, glad you like :) I don't have experience with cabs and which will monitors will fit as I use an 21:9 monitor above a tv screen.

hi, many thanks! Currently i have Marquees into the path: D:\LaunchBox\Images\MAME\Arcade - Marquee

I merged your 3 .zip filed, overwriting everything, now there are 1402 files. In order to use your marquees, have i to overwrite marquees included into this pack: into the path: D:\LaunchBox\Images\MAME\Arcade - Marquee with the 1402 files included in your zips files?

And how can I view them in BigBox?

thank you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

hi, many thanks! Currently i have Marquees into the path: D:\LaunchBox\Images\MAME\Arcade - Marquee

I merged your 3 .zip filed, overwriting everything, now there are 1402 files. In order to use your marquees, have i to overwrite marquees included into this pack: into the path: D:\LaunchBox\Images\MAME\Arcade - Marquee with the 1402 files included in your zips files?

And how can I view them in BigBox?

thank you!

Yep just download them in the order of the list you see when clicking the download button then unpack in that order to your marquee directory, overwriting indeed. You can view them on your second (marquee) monitor or if you don't have a second monitor by viewing the images in the game details > view images.

thank, i unzipped everything. But i'm not ale to overwrite any file into my current Marquees folder as all the 1.402 files have a different name from the ones present into the Marquees folder. I mean:

Marquees folder:

Cattura.png

The collection present into this topic:

Cattura2.png

If i add all the 1.402 files to my current Marquees collection, do you think that the will be detected in any case, even if the game name is different?

thanks

46 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

thank, i unzipped everything. But i'm not ale to overwrite any file into my current Marquees folder as all the 1.402 files have a different name from the ones present into the Marquees folder. I mean:

Marquees folder:

Cattura.png

The collection present into this topic:

Cattura2.png

If i add all the 1.402 files to my current Marquees collection, do you think that the will be detected in any case, even if the game name is different?

thanks

You should first copy them to some directory outside the marquee directory, extract the zips and overwrite in the order I explained before so you are sure your marquees are updated to the latest versions. Then you have a choice to delete all the marquees already present in the arcade - marquee directory (with the full Launchbox names) or if you want you can add the downloaded marquees as well, they have the rom file name and also work as Launchbox can read the images in various file naming formats. But then you'll have duplicate marquees.

yes i have already followed the steps in order to have the folder with all the marquess updated :)

I could delete all the marquees into the Marquees folder, but in this way i will lost marquees not included into the collection present in this topic...my current Marquees folder has about 2.100 files...

What's New in Version 1.4

- I merged the last 2 updates and the collection to one file for ease of use
- Added 397 4K marquees for games that don't have marquees or really bad quality. These where generated with "Marquee Generator for CTC"  https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2442-marquee-generator-for-ctc/
- Do note these generated marquees have Launchbox file naming instead of rom naming, I'm to lazy to rename them all one by one manually.
- These marquees where generated in a 21:9 aspect ratio as my marquee monitor is 21:9 but I also included a wider aspect ratio template in the link above if you like so you can render them yourself using your media and change anything you like
- Thanks to @y2guru you can now generate images to any resolution you want using CTC 2.5 and above https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/

mmmh ok...well, this release has 1.402 marquees in total. Checking my current Marquees folder (i haven't added yet into that folder the 1.402 files) i see about 2.050 marquees (with LB file name), but some of them have duplicate files (as you can see in the picture i posted above). So, more or less, i think that if i delete ALL the files and add only the 1.402 files from this release, i will not loose 600 marquees for sure, probably i will loose 200 marquees. But it is not easy to create the final Marquees list considering both 1.402 files of this release and ONLy the missing games present in my current Marquees folder...

15 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

mmmh ok...well, this release has 1.402 marquees in total. Checking my current Marquees folder (i haven't added yet into that folder the 1.402 files) i see about 2.050 marquees (with LB file name), but some of them have duplicate files (as you can see in the picture i posted above). So, more or less, i think that if i delete ALL the files and add only the 1.402 files from this release, i will not loose 600 marquees for sure, probably i will loose 200 marquees. But it is not easy to create the final Marquees list considering both 1.402 files of this release and ONLy the missing games present in my current Marquees folder...

Well thats up to you of course. I don't know where you got the marquees from that you have currently installed but if they are from the LB database and/or Emovies you could delete them then install these marquees and use the audit tool in LB to see which games dont have marquees and redownload them by selecting those games and download only marquees.

yes you are right, i downloaded them using LB and emumovies.  Perfect., i can delete all the files, copy/past the 1.402 files from this topic and then, in order to add the missing marquees i suppose i have to follow the following steps:

1) Choose GAME MISSING MEDIA -- Missing MArquees

2) CTRL + A in order to select all the games and TOOLS --> DOWNLOAD --> Update metadata and Media for selected games. Currently i have 2351 games with missing Marquees

Is this the correct procedure? I don't know any other audit tool and i don't know how to download only Marquees...

I have another similar question: if i choos Game missing media --> Game Missing Screenshot, i see that there are 15 games without any screenshot (same for Missing videos). How can i search and download (if available) the screeshot/videos for those games?

thank you very much

@legolas119 Here's how I would do it. First delete those marquees you currently have and put in the 1400 something bezels you got from this project inside the marquee directory, optionally (if you like them) you can also install those 397 generated marquees (v.1.4) for games that don't have marquees.

1. To ensure you see only marquee files in the Audit menu (more about that later) go to Launchbox/Tools/Options

2. In the options menu go to Media/Marquee Priorities and be sure to only have "Arcade - Marquee" selected, deselect all other entries within this menu like Box Front etc, this will ensure you don't have multiple image files results in the Audit column. If you like to display other images in this image category like Box Front or whatever you can later select those again in this image priority menu, but for now turn them off except for Arcade Marquee, click OK.

1.thumb.JPG.e24c971a250926404771b0fd7f086af4.JPG

3. Click on your Platform in the left panel where your arcade games are stored, for me it's Arcade but I think you have named it Mame.

4. Go to Tools/Audit and choose your current Arcade/Mame platform, it'll need to load in all available data so it can take a while before the Audit menu will load, depending on how many games you have installed.

2.thumb.JPG.8bbe2896761c235d5f09ff9506db38ab.JPG

5. Now we're in the Audit menu, you'll see all kinds of useful data in columns and rows. Scroll to the right side until you see the column "Marquee Images", click the "Marquee Images" column header/title (when you click on a header it'll sort the column by amount of data), now it'll take a moment to sort the amount of marquee images you have, once you notice it has sorted the amount of marquee images you can click and hold the scroll bar indicator (on the outer right side) to quickly go up and down to see the sorted results. What you want to see is Marquee Images "0", click the most top or bottom result (depending how it sorted the titles from top to bottom) and then use the scroll bar indicator again to quickly go up or down to the location where it displays Marquee Images "1". Then hold "Shift" and click the last row before Marquee Images "1". Now you have selected all the results that display Marquee Images "0".

3.thumb.JPG.b00f37d9b118c8756e2a7ba37d6b96bc.JPG

6. Now right click your mouse so the menu pops up, click "Download Metadata and Media"

4.thumb.JPG.9c4c9f83120211c3e7285c4392df7ed2.JPG

7. Click Next in this menu, then in the next meny be sure "Search for game information etc." is selected. Next menu; Here you can select how many images you want to download per category, if you want more than 1 marquee file (I've seen entries in the database that has a low quality and a much higher quality marquee) and be able to choose which one you want to keep, make sure you up the number in:

5.thumb.JPG.ff14f7acdd424d75c90c3f6a0e678a69.JPG

8. Click "Check None" in the bottom button so all to download image categories are deselected and only select "Arcade Marquee". Click "Next". In this menu for Emumovies downloads also "Check None" and again only select Arcade Marquee, click next and it'll download the marquees, this can take quite some time.

After that's all done you can sort the marquee image column again and see if there's still entries with 0 marquee image results. If there are it means that either no marquee exists and/or the game doesn't have a LB database ID, this you can also find out in the Audit menu if you go to the most right side result and click the header called "Launchbox Games Database ID", fields empty in this column means it has not been connected to a database ID and thus will find no images (this can answer your other question). You can make it easy for yourself and click and hold the header for LB DB ID and drag the column to the outermost left side and position it next to the "Title", once you've done that you can easily see the title next to the ID. You can click the title and a menu pops up, here you'll see the title which you can change, say for example you have "game: subtitle1 - subtitle2" and it doesn't have an ID yet you could play around with the title and leave things like ":" or "-", or if you know an alternate title for the game which may be picked up etc. But it happens that games don't have an entry in the database yet though.

Well that was quite some work to explain, I hope you can figure out what I just threw at you lol ;)

Good luck!

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

many many thanks!

Well, step 1-2-3-4 done!   But before to go ahead, i don't know where i can find the 397 files you are talking about at the beginning of your post... is there a package with these 397 files only available to download?

Thank you again :)

13 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

many many thanks!

Well, step 1-2-3-4 done!   But before to go ahead, i don't know where i can find the 397 files you are talking about at the beginning of your post... is there a package with these 397 files only available to download?

Thank you again :)

Yep just click the download button at the top of this topic there's a new zip file added yesterday in v1.4.

ah ok, sorry i dind't notice that! Good i added the 397 files (1 of them is already present into the 1.402 files of the previous pack) and then i followed your steps. NOw after the latest audit, there are 915 games without any marquee.

My Marquee folder has now more than 3.100 files, icludint all the files from this topic. Many thanks for your help!

I will do same steps in order to update games without any video or without any screenshot

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legolas119 said:

ah ok, sorry i dind't notice that! Good i added the 397 files (1 of them is already present into the 1.402 files of the previous pack) and then i followed your steps. NOw after the latest audit, there are 915 games without any marquee.

My Marquee folder has now more than 3.100 files, icludint all the files from this topic. Many thanks for your help!

I will do same steps in order to update games without any video or without any screenshot

Thanks!

Glad to see you managed, have fun! :)