LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

The reason for the Options dialog causing the problem is that the controllers are all re-parsed when it loads up in order to populate the controller options. It's very surprising though that it's happening with the options dialog and not with startup of LaunchBox, since the code is the same in both places.

Jason Carr said Wow, well I do have to thank you and congratulate you, @Bedwyr for your troubleshooting skills! That's impressive. Thanks for that. I do have an Xbox One controller to test with so I'll take a look at that soon. :)
It's an engineer thing. Try troubleshooting intermittent autopilot telemetry with 15 teammates around you doing nothing and the plane not flying till you figure it out. Ah flight test.

I finally tried this with a Turbografx CD game and it even used the .srm (save) file inside the .rar. I'm assuming it won't write to the .rar file to update the save game, but I can always change save directories. *edit* I guess the main addition that would be nice is if Launchbox recognized that your .cue file was in the .rar file so you don't have to edit all the games in your collection to new .rar files. In other words my Dracula X.cue is now in Dracula X.rar (or whatever name) so Launchbox looks in Dracula X.rar to find the .cue file instead of having to edit every single game that you are changing to an archive. Maybe there's already a way to do this and I'm missing it.

Drybonz said Will the archive opening feature work if the game files are in a directory within the archive (for example the .bin and .cue in a folder zipped)?
I tried with my TurboGrafx-CD collection (.bin .cue format) and couldn't get it working. Has anyone else been able to? EDIT: I'm thinking it's retroarch and the PCE core... on the RA forums folks are saying the core is broken and can't get PCE-CD games to load, will try a different emulator. PCEjin

Riffman81 said
Drybonz said Will the archive opening feature work if the game files are in a directory within the archive (for example the .bin and .cue in a folder zipped)?
I tried with my TurboGrafx-CD collection (.bin .cue format) and couldn't get it working. Has anyone else been able to? EDIT: I'm thinking it's retroarch and the PCE core... on the RA forums folks are saying the core is broken and can't get PCE-CD games to load, will try a different emulator. PCEjin
The pce core is broken on 1.2 on 1.3 works good.

For TurboGrafx CD Games, last night I finally got them working. Not only were most of mine corrupted (Emuparadise sucks apparently with these) so I got an entire set of them that should be perfect, I started using the mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll for TurboGrafx CD games, and it works perfectly. I also have my games in .img and .ccd because that is how most of the set works and the RetroArch cores read .ccd file extensions just fine. I am also using RetroArch 1.3.2 and the most updated cores (for the record, unless your download ships with cores, if you use the online updater they are the most updated regardless of your RetroArch version).

SentaiBrad said For TurboGrafx CD Games, last night I finally got them working. Not only were most of mine corrupted (Emuparadise sucks apparently with these) so I got an entire set of them that should be perfect, I started using the mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll for TurboGrafx CD games, and it works perfectly. I also have my games in .img and .ccd because that is how most of the set works and the RetroArch cores read .ccd file extensions just fine. I am also using RetroArch 1.3.2 and the most updated cores (for the record, unless your download ships with cores, if you use the online updater they are the most updated regardless of your RetroArch version).
Yeah, Emuparadise is a gamble most of the time, just my opinion. I usually don't download from them much anymore. I have 2 complete sets now of NEC PC Engine-CD games. My original set is in .img .ccd format and I couldn't get those to load with the mednafen pce core, so that's why I converted the entire set over to .bin .cue using ISOBuster. The .bin .cue set loads fine and all games play. I will try the mednafen supergrafx core and see if it'll read the .ccd as you said before I convert my TurboGrafx-CD games... but I've had nothing but problems with the pce core trying to load them in the .ccd .img format. I'm still learning RetroArch as I've always been partial to using the stand alone emulators. Is there a way you can view file extensions that are accepted in RetroArch by each core? Is that info in core information? The RetroArch forums aren't much help... it's almost like they expect you to know and not ask.

Riffman81 said
SentaiBrad said For TurboGrafx CD Games, last night I finally got them working. Not only were most of mine corrupted (Emuparadise sucks apparently with these) so I got an entire set of them that should be perfect, I started using the mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll for TurboGrafx CD games, and it works perfectly. I also have my games in .img and .ccd because that is how most of the set works and the RetroArch cores read .ccd file extensions just fine. I am also using RetroArch 1.3.2 and the most updated cores (for the record, unless your download ships with cores, if you use the online updater they are the most updated regardless of your RetroArch version).
Yeah, Emuparadise is a gamble most of the time, just my opinion. I usually don't download from them much anymore. I have 2 complete sets now of NEC PC Engine-CD games. My original set is in .img .ccd format and I couldn't get those to load with the mednafen pce core, so that's why I converted the entire set over to .bin .cue using ISOBuster. The .bin .cue set loads fine and all games play. I will try the mednafen supergrafx core and see if it'll read the .ccd as you said before I convert my TurboGrafx-CD games... but I've had nothing but problems with the pce core trying to load them in the .ccd .img format. I'm still learning RetroArch as I've always been partial to using the stand alone emulators. Is there a way you can view file extensions that are accepted in RetroArch by each core? Is that info in core information? The RetroArch forums aren't much help... it's almost like they expect you to know and not ask.
Yea that info is in core information if core info exists. Load a core and load the core info tab or go in to the info folder inside your RA folder and open those files with Notepad++ or something. I don't mind using ISOBuster, that's my suggested method here on the site if you need to, but ALL of the games I grabbed are in ccd / img formats and that would take forever 1 by 1. I found software thankfully that moves everything up 1 directory. It was ..\Games\Game name here\media\game files and I wanted to cut out the media folder. A lot of suggestions were scripts and PowerShell commands but I found a portable app called Suction. Just double click it, drag and drop all of the folders that you want to literally suction and the files at the end of the file path all get moved up 1 folder and the new empty folder gets deleted. http://suction.en.softonic.com/ I just double checked too, just launched a game via ccd using the SuperGrafx core.

This program is slightly different then the one I am using to downloaded, but it's the same software name by the same developer.. but I edited the name so instead of MakeCue.exe it says MakeCue img .exe. This way I can use the windows search, search for "img" (without the quotes this time) and just drag and drop in an easy to view window instead of loading it up in ISOBuster. This worked in 1 test I made but I am unsure if it's a long term solution. It stays using the img so no long conversion times, and it's 1 view so it cuts out some time. http://cue-maker.software.informer.com/

For Turbografx CD you want to use the Mednafen PCE core... it is really great, even better than the old Magic Engine from back in the day, IMO. Also, the .bin/cues that work are usually about 500mb. The smaller ones that you find for download or the iso mp3/wav format almost never work with anything.

Drybonz said For Turbografx CD you want to use the Mednafen PCE core... it is really great, even better than the old Magic Engine from back in the day, IMO. Also, the .bin/cues that work are usually about 500mb. The smaller ones that you find for download or the iso mp3/wav format almost never work with anything.
The SuperGrafx core is working great and if the PCE core isn't working for someone what other choice do they have. Not to mentin the PCE Core is also working for me now in most cases. The file size also doesn't really matter, the size of the game is the size of the game. I have games ranging from 100mb to 700mb, these discs held about 700-800mb total. They just natural vary in size depending on the game.

The PCE core is working great with the .bin .cue rips I made, but loading the .ccd set I have isn't working... and this makes no sense to me at all being that I used the .ccd .img set to make the .bin .cue set. I have the correct BIOS in my system folder, etc... not sure what else to try really, but the .bin .cue set works, so that's all that really matters.

Yea if it's working that's great. A ccd and cue sheet are essentially the same thing with a different file extension and internal format. They're ripped from different programs. I have Mednafen PCE fast and Mednafen SuperGrafx both working with ccd's and cue sheets. There are some games which are having trouble loading no matter what core or file is loaded, and I am unsure why. TurboGrafx 16 games with the SuperGrafx core are supposed to also play "better" or some games are enhanced with it as well? I read it offhandedly in the past so I am unsure how faithful that is, but the core info does say it loads regular PCE games.