LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Hi Jason. An option to use the Platform Device Image background as the background for all games in a Platform would be nice. I know it can currently be done by adding the device image as a fanart to each game in the platform, but for say a platform with 100 games, I would need to have 101 identical images installed, 100 for the games plus 1 for the platform itself. It would be nice to be able to set the Platform Device Image as the background image for all games in the platform by means of a tick box. I've done a mockup of the BigBox Game Images Options screen with the new suggested option added (option 3 in the list) to show what I'm on about.
Spoiler
GameImagesMockup-1.PNG
By the way, Beta 21 installed ok, and I haven't come across any bugs so far.

Hi Jason Just come across an error popup in BigBox (beta 22) when using PageDown to move down through a Platform's games list. The first 3 uses of PageDown work fine, but a 4th press brings up an error box. This is only happening on Platforms where PageDown needs more than 3 presses to get to the end of the games list. Also with the games lists that cause this error, if you go to the end of the list and try a PageUp it returns an error too.

Hi @scree, I knew about that error, but I *did not* know that it happened only after three times. That's probably why I couldn't reproduce it. I must say, you are really, really helpful when it comes to that kind of stuff. I really appreciate it. :) I'll get a new beta out soon.

Just put out a new beta, but the only real update this time around is a new, proper setup. The setup should have an uninstaller now, among other things. Please test and let me know if anything doesn't work right. The setup should automatically point to the right folder for your LaunchBox installation on updating.

Hey Jason, I just tried the new beta and I'm not sure if it's my computer or not, but now when it is trying to update (as all the betas were fine before) it has an error asking me to verify that I have access to the folder Launchbox is in. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Hi! ^_^ I'm here to report an issue related to the new setup based on Windows Installer. As you can see in the attached images it throws an error writing files. Even if LaunchBox is TOTALLY closed (I've checked on my Windows' Task Manager) it still shows the error writing LaunchBox.exe. If I delete or rename the LaunchBox.exe, it shows the writing error in other files (see the attached files again). By the way, I want to take the next thing I'm going to say as a suggestion: could you go back to the original "WinRAR" setup? The one based on Windows Installer forces me to have Windows Installer runtimes installed on the computer and I frequently use LaunchBox in super-lite editions of Windows XP in very low-end computers with low harddisk space. Adding Windows Installer runtimes to those computers delivers a couple of extra requirements that I would like to skip. Also, the portability of LaunchBox vanishes if Windows knows where it's installed and give you the option to uninstall it on "Programs & features" / "Add/remove programs". Sorry for so long text. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! :D Greetings from Argentina. :)

Alright, let me clear some things up. First off, LaunchBox is still portable, and will stay that way. The only reason why I'm attempting to use a real setup is because I've been getting too many complaints about people putting LaunchBox in Program Files and getting errors, people complaining about the lack of an uninstaller, etc. The WinRAR solution I've been using also has an issue with high-DPI monitors (the text is too small to read). So, one way or another, we need another solution. @esareias and @GatoSoft, where is your LaunchBox installed? Also, what versions of Windows are you using? Unfortunately, @GatoSoft, half of LaunchBox's features these days don't even work in Windows XP (none of the wizards do because of XP's missing features), so XP support has been long gone for a while.

Never install games in the system's program files. This is how you use windows: System C drive is on an SSD. All your games and programs should not get installed on your system drive. Instead, they should go on a hdd with a different drive letter. This is also helpful when you need to reinstall windows and all your stuff will still be intact. Secondly, installing a program and moving it elsewhere afterward is bad practice. This is asking for registry problems or just a messy registry. If this must be done (because those requests come from users who don't know how to use windows correctly), you could make an option button that says Use registry/Don't use registry. If one presses Don't use registry, then it would unpack the way it use to. If the other option, then it would do it this way. Problem solved :)

shinra358 said Never install games in the system's program files. This is how you use windows: System C drive is on an SSD. All your games and programs should not get installed on your system drive. Instead, they should go on a hdd with a different drive letter. This is also helpful when you need to reinstall windows and all your stuff will still be intact. Secondly, installing a program and moving it elsewhere afterward is bad practice. This is asking for registry problems or just a messy registry. If this must be done (because those requests come from users who don't know how to use windows correctly), you could make an option button that says Use registry/Don't use registry. If one presses Don't use registry, then it would unpack the way it use to. If the other option, then it would do it this way. Problem solved :)
Yeah, sans for the unfortunate complication of figuring out how to build that. ;)