LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Everything is already set. You've already learned to master it other other way. And you've already learned how to master it this way. So basically it's like combining both to one launcher. One button with call a function to do it the other way (dump the files to the location from the zip). The other button with call the function to do it this way (installer). You already got it figured out ;) It's just the process of setting each to its own button.

shinra358 said Everything is already set. You've already learned to master it other other way. And you've already learned how to master it this way. So basically it's like combining both to one launcher. One button with call a function to do it the other way (dump the files to the location from the zip). The other button with call the function to do it this way (installer). You already got it figured out ;) It's just the process of setting each to its own button.
It's not incredibly easy to just write an installer though. Edit: Also, if we do start to utilize the Registry, we could do some pretty cool things.

Something gets downloading to the location before the installer initiates right? Which I would assume is the installer itself. The old one just downloaded a zip file and automatically unpacked it to the location. The updater would download both the exe and the zip. Button 1 would unpack the zip. Button 2 with execute the installer. This is very easy. I may not know C sharp but I've already done this in WPF, Bat, and Autohotkey with other projects. And WPF and Autohotkey are just simplistic ways to get the job done faster and both can use C sharp along with it. So basically they are the same things but just done a little bit differently as far as format. Since you will just be choosing which file to open and extract (or open and initiate), that's is all there is to it. People make custom launchers for normal games all the time when they find there are not enough options with the original one. It's not complicated like you think. And you know more than me :)

@shinra358, trust me; you can't use C# to write a setup program. That's the problem. The languages/requirements all change for setup programs, as they need to work no matter what, without anything installed. I *could* write an installer in C#, but it would be a pretty bad idea. Yes, it'd be really easy if I could, but unfortunately that's really bad practice for a lot of reasons.

Hi Jason. Beta 23 downloaded fine but then gave me the error screen that Brad also got. I had to open the Updates folder and run the download and this brought up the Installer. I then had to change the path to install to as it was incorrect. The install then worked ok and Beta 23 is now up and running. Edit: I just noticed that the new Installer creates a System Restore Point, something the old Installer did not. Nice.

Hey guys, No my Launchbox isn't on my C drive, it's on my F drive. I haven't tried running it as an administrator, but all of the updates have gone great for me and I never had a problem before with this error on any of them. Also I am running Windows 8.1.

esareias said Hey guys, No my Launchbox isn't on my C drive, it's on my F drive. I haven't tried running it as an administrator, but all of the updates have gone great for me and I never had a problem before with this error on any of them. Also I am running Windows 8.1.
Well the installer has changed, hence the specific questions.

Good to know, thanks @esareias. It would suck to have to drop my work on the new setup program, but we'll do what we have to. There are apparently many more issues with it than I expected. If we found a better self-extractor that didn't have the same issues as the WinRAR one, we could potentially use that. An uninstaller could probably be made without touching the registry or any files outside of the LaunchBox folder. I'll probably have to go back to the drawing board, unfortunately. I could try tweaking the new setup, but tweaking an MSI setup to not put itself if add/remove programs might not be feasible, not sure.

Hey Jason, I looked in the Launchbox folder and found the updates folder and used the .exe that was in there to update to the new version. It worked flawlessly, not sure why it decided to be funky twhen trying to update when I open Launchbox, but it works! So I am in the clear for this beta, and again great program!

Sorry... I forgot to attach the screenshots I mentioned in my previous post. @_@ I have my LaunchBox folder in "D:\Frontends". I never got any problems installing or uninstalling things in that path before. I'm using Windows 10 x64 build 10240. I tried under Windows 8.1 x64 too but nothing changed. Help, please! :3

@Jason tried to update LaunchBox through BgBox got the following error after 20+ minutes waiting for it to download see image:- Unable.jpg So did the update through LaunchBox itself, update went smoothly and installed smoothly into my documents as usual as this is where i have all installed LaunchBox, emulators, games ect.

I've reverted to the WinRAR setup for now. Hopefully if you try it again it should work fine. After re-evaluating it all, it looks like I can probably make the WinRAR setup work fine for most things, but the DPI issue is still a problem; there's no way to size the text in the setup correctly for high-DPI environments. I've submitted a bug report to the WinRAR team, but it looks like a difficult problem to solve, so I'm not sure that they'll have a fix any time soon. So I'm still looking for a solution. I know I could use something like NSIS to create the setup, but I've already spent 2 nights on this and it's taking away from development otherwise. So I might just leave the WinRAR setup for now. It just bugs me that the very first thing that people see, if they have Windows configured with a high DPI, is a broken setup program. :/

Okay, I have a solution to our setup woes, thankfully. There's a product called Inno Setup that saves lives. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and it's free. I created a new setup that has an uninstaller, but writes nothing to the Windows registry, or anything other than optional Start menu/desktop icons and the destination folder. The uninstaller lives in the destination folder only, and doesn't end up in Add/Remove Programs. So it is still truly portable, and hopefully makes everyone happy. And hopefully it actually works. ;) After the first update, it should update hands-free as well, and take you to Big Box from Big Box and LaunchBox from LaunchBox. Those things won't work though until the next update is completed (because they require changes to the LaunchBox code). Let me know how it works for you guys.