LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Nathan DiYorio said I recently added The Witcher from GOG, which came with a large number of images (more than 150) which I added to my LaunchBox fanart folder. Wow, LaunchBox doesn't like editing Witcher metadata now. It goes through a process of "Not Responding" for five solid minutes before picking back up and saving any changes I've made. Big Box doesn't seem overly bothered by the large number of images, so the problem is exclusive to the library/manager view. Edit: The glitching of game menus is becoming more prevalent. Constantly having issues with the menu displaying "Play" multiple times, among other things like "Stop Music" or additional apps. Also, suggestion: add a marquee effect to Additional Applications whose titles are too long to be fully displayed in the list? It happened again. This time I took a screenshot: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E0H26qRxy_E/VaUUbbz-g8I/AAAAAAAAJ18/2qbRj1eFEwI/s1600/bigbox%2Bglitches.png
Were you getting the lag before you added all of the images? I am not sure we've had someone try to add this many. If you weren't can you remove them to see if the lag continues? Edit: Also, the Witcher 3 is so good... I am mad at myself I haven't been playing it as much. Diablo 3 has been stealing most of my time recently. And my PS4.

The lag in the Desktop Mode is exclusive to when editing Witcher metadata, and it's definitely because of the images. It's also the only place where that kind of hang happens. The duplicate menu options are not Witcher-exclusive, and were happening before I added Witcher to LB.

Just come across what might be a bug. If you edit a game and change an image type for example from a fanart to a screenshot then the original fanart image becomes a new screenshot, but the original fanart image is not removed like it used to be. So now if you had four images you now have five.

scree said Just come across what might be a bug. If you edit a game and change an image type for example from a fanart to a screenshot then the original fanart image becomes a new screenshot, but the original fanart image is not removed like it used to be. So now if you had four images you now have five.
This has been plaguing me all afternoon.

Hey guys, just put out a new beta. I'm hoping it helps significantly reduce the performance for clean up images and the initial image moving. And, if we're lucky it might help solve the other image lagging stuff. Let me know. I've also filled out all the options in Big Box for hiding and showing things in the details and the menus, as well as finally added @scree's platform metadata (thanks again @scree!).

Hello Jason! I got myself a premium version today an it did save me tons of work organizing all my roms. Not sure if this is the right section to post this suggestion though, but can you possible come up with an in-game overlay with few important options like (force) close game, screenshot etc... I dont wanna make it sound like stem bigpicture but i think itll be awesome. Thanks!

raven_rvz01 said Hello Jason! I got myself a premium version today an it did save me tons of work organizing all my roms. Not sure if this is the right section to post this suggestion though, but can you possible come up with an in-game overlay with few important options like (force) close game, screenshot etc... I dont wanna make it sound like stem bigpicture but i think itll be awesome. Thanks!
This would be pretty cool for some emulators. Normally I am all for in-game features and things that Steam can do. Saddly however, this is way more complicated than you might first think. Steam can achieve this easily because it has a certain level of requirement on the developers side and they code with DirectX libraries. Or common Graphical API's. This allows Steam do it but they're also a team of dozens who achieved this years ago. This would require Jason to more or less develop a technology that hooks in to applications by himself. Meaning, he would more or less need to develop gaming software that hooks in to graphical API of dozens of games. I am sure someone could do it, but it is out of the scope for LaunchBox as of now. It would more or less be game development. If the program doesn't want to work with it and requires it to be compiled specially with overlay instructions that would be even more difficult. In the short term, something that works really well for me is Steam. It doesn't work with every game I launch through, and some games work half of the time like Diablo 3, but add a Non-Steam game in Steam and launch it. Some emulators might be able to work this way and you might be able to get some of them to work with screenshots.

Welcome @raven_rvz01, and thanks for the purchase. :) @SentaiBrad's right, unfortunately. It's not impossible to have an overlay on games, but it's extremely difficult and error-prone. I agree that it would be really useful. We might try and tackle it down the line when we start running out of ideas. ;)

Can we add windows games using game desktop shortcuts? I noticed that it only scans for installed games, i recently did a clean windows install, some games still work without reinstalling and these games cannot be detected by launchbox. Any work around for this? Thanks!

Thanks @bdoo i ended up adding them one by one hehe.. I see great potential on this app. I look forward to making this software an all in one GUI (Games, Media Integragation, Chat feature etc.) @Jason the big box is already looking awesome, hope you give it more like a console type interface on the final build and direct boot to big box. I used to follow this guy from xbmc/kodi community but i think he's gone for good: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=167601 Cheers!

raven_rvz01 said Thanks @bdoo i ended up adding them one by one hehe.. I see great potential on this app. I look forward to making this software an all in one GUI (Games, Media Integragation, Chat feature etc.) @Jason the big box is already looking awesome, hope you give it more like a console type interface on the final build and direct boot to big box. I used to follow this guy from xbmc/kodi community but i think he's gone for good: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=167601 Cheers!
As far as I know, other media is currently up in the air still. Kodi does that job pretty damn well personally. The major question is, does a majority of people want LaunchBox for TV shows and Movies? Also, I don't see that being a normal feature but a Premium Feature. I don't make that final decision though. LaunchBox's statement has been for games. We also don't want to put core features behind the premium wall. However, other media is not a core feature even if the decision to encompass other media is made. The heart and soul is still games.

Hi @Klamp, welcome. Unfortunately I don't keep a change log for betas because it would just be too much work and would slow me down from actual development. However, usually if I don't update this thread, I'm just squashing bugs, but I guess not always. Regardless, new things have almost always been discussed at some point in this thread.

I'm currently uploading a new beta on hotel Internet, and it's taking forever, but it'll probably be out by the time you read this. The last couple of days I've been squashing bugs and adding little necessities, like About, version display, etc. I fixed the issues with Page Up and Page Down as well. We're getting really close now to the official release; I will not be adding any more features to either Big Box or LaunchBox before the release; it's just bugs to kill at this point. Of course, development will continue for the next release. That said, please report any bugs you find in the latest beta. We've changed a lot for 5.0, so I want to have at least a week of testing before putting out the release.