LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, new beta is finally out; we finally have EmuMovies support. It is currently only implemented in the single game Add/Edit dialog; I haven't gotten it to work in the importers or the batch updater, but that should be coming soon. Any testing you can do with the updated Download Images/Media from Add/Edit would be much appreciated. Also fixed in this beta: The updated Add/Edit Emulator dialog had some significant presentation issues with the Spanish, French, and Brazilian Portuguese translations Threading conflicts were ocassionally occurring after save operations due to the new threading performance improvements Check boxes in Big Box were not displaying for custom and old-school Windows themes

Thanks for the update, this is an update I've been waiting for, though with the short time I've been messing around with it I've stumbled with a couple of issues: - Trying to add any media for the platforms Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 (of the ones I've tested), show "Could not find the associated platform in the EmuMovies system list." - Sometimes it won't find games I know that exist in the EmuMovies database, for example (Legend of Zelda, The - The Minish Cap (USA).gba) is named exactly as how it's written in their server but shows the game as not found. Again thanks for the hard word. Cool

Yeah I know Emumovies is really finicky with its naming detection, sometimes they're not even consistent within their own service, for example I hard real issues with some games like Zelda II, because for some media they name it "Legend of Zelda II, The - The Adventure of Link (USA)" and in others they name it "Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (USA)" meaning I had to keep changing the names of some files to download all the media.

New beta is out again to hopefully fix the platform issues at least. I'm gonna have to be crafty I think in order to improve the EmuMovies name detection, since they're handling pretty much all of that via the API. That said, it's probably worth a shot to see what can be done there. Thanks for helping me test @Beruchan13. Let me know how this release fares for you. :)

@Jason sorry havnt been on in awhile been busy ripping my and daughters dvd's making covers for them etc takes hour plus per movie just to rip lol. Can no longer update 2nd version of LaunchBox/BigBox pass version 5.2 if i want to launch that 2nd version through present LaunchBox BigBox. This has happened ever since version 5.3. If i have shortcut for a 2nd version the one i use for launching films music it must be version 5.2 or before because if i update that version and then try and launch it through the Present Version all that happens is LaunchBox dissappears for a few seconds then opens back up minimized and if i try and launch through BigBox all that happens is the animation for the information for previous version just reloads its transition ie vertical flip etc. Hope im explaining it so you can understand. i.e.:- if i launch my media version LaunchBox/BigBox through present LaunchBox/Big box it will work if its version 5.2 or before. but if i up date my media version LaunchBox/BigBox to version 5.3, 5.4 or 5.5 it will no longer work through present LaunchBox/BigBox. this has happened ever since version 5.3 up to the present version.

@DOS76 if that was the case then surely i shouldnt be able to open up version 5.2 through present LaunchBox/Bigbox which i still am able to do, as this is a very handy feature to have in LaunchBox/BigBox it is one i dont want to be done away with and im sure people who have large library's and use LaunchBox/BigBox in their arcade cab which i will be building after im done finally with ripping my movies etc dont want to lose.

Hi! ^_^ I'm here for some bug report. :) I was going to give it a try to the new EmuMovies feature, but I found a problem with LaunchBox configured in Spanish. As you can see in the screenshots I've attached, in English there's no problem but in Spanish the window's geometry and the buttons are messed up. ^_^U Greetings. :)Captura-de-pantalla-90.pngCaptura-de-pantalla-91.png

@Maddoc1007 I completely understand why you wouldn't want how you can use LaunchBox to change. I'm sure Jason will chime in and let you know whats up like I said I'm not even sure just thought I had read something like this somewhere. I'd like to add though that LaunchBox doesn't really have an performance issues anymore regardless of your library size I'm up to 19K and LaunchBox is still very quick since Jason optimized it awhile back. Good to hear from you though its been a minute since I've seen you on the forum.

Thanks everyone. @Maddoc1007, @DOS76 is right; I added that restriction to fix bugs where people were ending up with corrupt LaunchBox.xml files because they started up two instances in the same location and didn't realize it. However if they're in two separate folders it should be allowed, I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if I can at least add a command line parameter to allow it. Thanks @Gatosoft for the report on the Spanish translation, I'll get that fixed soon. :)

@Jason thanks am running both versions at different locations main LaunchBox/BigBox for games in my documents and the version i use for media i have/run from a seperate drive as there is no slowdown or speed loss and works extremly well but like to keep that version updated one back from main version. Apart from that have not found any bugs in beta's or updated versions as of late.

Hi @JasonCarr I have tested the new EmuMovies implementation, with very little success. It seems that EmuMovies has VERY little flexibility with the platform and game names. Out of 10 platforms and 10 games tested, 9 failed with "unable to find platform" "unable to find game" sort of messages. Only one platform/game was found: Gamecube Pokemon Colloseum I don't think this is something to do with LaunchBox or with you since EmuMovies is a third party. So I have an idea, maybe its a fool idea because I am no expert but here it is: Recommend or force some sort of "naming convention", so in that way, both platform and game names in a LaunchBox library will be exactly the same as the ones at EmuMovies. I don't really know if what I am saying is viable but that's all I can think of. Maybe I did something wrong but I can tell you that I am using the standard platform and game names. There is a small thing I noticed at the last step when adding a new ROM, the spanish translation is too big for those boxes. here is an example refrfreg.png Send me a notification when the spanish resources are ready for the new features to be translated. Cheers!

Another new beta is out, this time with EmuMovies support for the Download Images and Metadata wizard. Testing is appreciated. @Maddoc1007, thanks; I will do my best to get it into the official version. @CliveBarker, I made a change that should help with name recognition, but I'm not sure to what extent. If anyone can test how the results compare to the standard EmuMovies media downloader, that would be much appreciated. It should at least be as accurate as the EmuMovies app. Clive, I'll let you know when 5.6 is ready for translation. :)

Thank you for working on the EmuMovies support, this is something I have been looking forward too. For some reason though, when running the Metadata wizard and configuring the EmuMovies login credentials, it tells me that it is unable to login. I confirmed my credentials and the site availability by logging on to EmuMovies.com but the wizard still says "unable to login to EmuMovies.com" I am a basic member (upgrading as soon as I confirm it will do what I need) if that makes a difference. While I am on the subject, I have not been able to find any information on if EmuMovies supports modern Steam/Windows based games. Any idea?

@Dweller I have a paid supporting member account and browsing through their FTP server I can tell you they have some windows/steam videos but nothing comprehensive enough for the average library of games, you'd have better luck downloading trailer videos from the steam store and converting them to mp4.