LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

@Jason "this is why we have betas" can fully appreciate that that is why you supply the backups in the backup folder and the backups for the xml as well kudos making it easier for us to revert back if something breaks. Can say beta 7 seems to be fine all launching well even media extra instance of LaunchBox/BigBox, games thus far ones iv checked, bats, ahk's, all up to your usual best no problems to report.Smile

Hi Jason. The new scripting system seemed to be causing some Additional Apps feature issues for me. Legitimate stuff like launching Xpadder profiles, or other versions (trained etc) of a game, or other discs for multi-disc games, all worked ok. But I was also taking advantage of the versatility of the Additional Apps feature to display text based stuff like game instructions, controls, help, solutions etc. and image based things like game maps, videos etc. These could be actual files or urls. Since the new scripting arrived these no longer worked and returned an error message. However with the new beta 7 everything works perfectly. Awesome work Jason! By the way are there any plans to allow videos in the Game Details Popup/Sidebar in LaunchBox itself?

Just put out beta 8. Hoping it resolves the remaining bugs with AutoHotkey (I found a fair bit of issues with it, specifically with the controllers conflicting with the new scripts). Also seemed to improve the Big Box screen corruption issues when returning to Big Box after changing the resolution. Let me know if anyone notices any further Big Box screen corruption.

Thanks for the new update Jason! :D By the way, since you were talking about the videos, I was wondering if you are planning to add YouTube support when adding video previews to games. I don't know if it's possible so I had to ask this question that was running around my head for months. xD Thanks again. :)

GatoSoft said Thanks for the new update Jason! :D By the way, since you were talking about the videos, I was wondering if you are planning to add YouTube support when adding video previews to games. I don't know if it's possible so I had to ask this question that was running around my head for months. xD Thanks again. :)
Youtube support for use in this way is not a good idea. Not only would you have to always be connected to the net, you would also have to keep constantly finding video previews because videos don't always stay up forever. Probably would be better to just keep continuing to add your own vids located on your pc.

Yeah, I know all of that. I use to download videos from YouTube and also shinra358 is right about video's availability. But since I've a very huge library of games and my PCs are always connected to the Internet, it would be a great storage save if I can just paste the link into every game's configuration. :) For example: my 314 NES selection weighs around 32 MB. while all the videos for those games weighs around 4.85 GB. You can apply similar equation to a great percentage of my other 2300+ games. ^_^U I wonder if I'm the only one who's having this amount of games? o_o?

@Jason latest beta working great except in LaunchBox setting a custom background seems to be broken, when you set a custom background inoptions it shows until you click on a platform then it shows fanart for that background. When you go back to sidebar and click on all it doesnt revert to the custom background you set, but stays on the platform fanart until you reboot LaunchBox and then same happens again. Custom background custom-background.jpg Stays on platform background even when click on all stays-on.jpg Thats only problem thus far.

It'd be cool if there was YouTube support. YouTube has a pretty decent tagging system that I work with personally. If the person tags their video properly it can be used very smartly and powerfully. Walkthroughs, Soundtracks, Remixes, Lets Play's, Art etc etc etc. People can have my Let's Play's, Reviews and Pixel Arts attached to their games. xD That one is more of just... that would be badass.

Hi Jason. With 5.3 beta 8, if I launch BigBox either directly or from within LaunchBox and then exit to LaunchBox, BigBox closes but LaunchBox doesn't open. This worked fine before. This is for me a very minor little issue. I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing it. By the way, I like the new feature to click images in LaunchBox game details popup and right sidebar.

@Jason latest beta running fine there was some lag in previous beta while schrolling through platforms and games in BigBox but this beta seems to have sorted that out, however when changing platforms in LaunchBox it still doesnt revert to either whatever custom background or default Launchbox background instead staying on last clicked on game fanart still.