LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Thanks for list view! It's still a bit problematic though. LB doesn't seem to know which game is selected when hitting the Edit button or using the right-click menu. Once you have it working properly, I hope to see a few "essential" features to go along with it: 1. Box art display in side panel when in list view 2. Ability to choose which columns to display 3. Find-as-you-type is now more important than ever! 4. A button to toggle list/thumbnails would be helpful Also, I'm not clear on how to use the "versions" feature? I'm truly impressed at how quickly LB is being developed - thanks! EDIT - Trying to use the "Add Filters" window causes LB to crash (I'm running the latest beta).

garbanzo said Thanks for list view! It's still a bit problematic though. LB doesn't seem to know which game is selected when hitting the Edit button or using the right-click menu. Once you have it working properly, I hope to see a few "essential" features to go along with it: 1. Box art display in side panel when in list view 2. Ability to choose which columns to display 3. Find-as-you-type is now more important than ever! 4. A button to toggle list/thumbnails would be helpful Also, I'm not clear on how to use the "versions" feature? I'm truly impressed at how quickly LB is being developed - thanks! EDIT - Trying to use the "Add Filters" window causes LB to crash (I'm running the latest beta).
Good suggestions!

Hi garbanzo. What I've found with List View is that you first need to left-click to select (highlight) a game entry and then right-clicking it will allow the menu options to work ok with the exception of Show Details ( the popup details box) which appears to be disabled in List View. The right sidebar view works fine, and oddly enough even updates just by right-clicking a new game unlike the menu. The ability to hide unwanted fields and to sort fields is in the pipeline. Not too sure about the others. If you have text entered in a game's Version field and Show Versions is enabled, then the version text will show after the game's title. This works for LaunchBox Mode boxart and list views as well as in the game details popup and right sidebar. The feature is in the pipeline for BigBox Mode. I'm using 5.4 Official and have no issues so far with adding Custom Filters.

Thank you guys for this discussion, all good feedback. @garbanzo, I've noted all those items and added them to the list. Per the crash with custom filters, I'm guessing it's just taking a while to populate the drop downs. There are a number of issues with custom filters that I really need to address, so I'll be reviewing that soon. @Lmagnus87, thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately the goal is to maintain consistency across typical Windows applications, so it's important that the Exit item remains under the File menu, awkward or not. Thanks for the clarifications @scree. I didn't know about the issues with right-clicking and selections in the list view; it sounds like this only happens with game details hover or when the side bar is closed?

Yes Jason, the issue is with the right-click popup menu when in List View. Right-clicking on a game entry in List View only highlights the entry, it does not actually select it, so the popup menu box options are for the wrong game. The wrong game will either be the first game in the Platform or the last actually selected game (via a left-click). The status of the right sidebar has no bearing on this issue. If visible, the right sidebar will update correctly whether an entry is left or right-clicked.

Jason Carr said @Lmagnus87, thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately the goal is to maintain consistency across typical Windows applications, so it's important that the Exit item remains under the File menu, awkward or not.
I understand it but maybe Game and File menu can be one (merge them). Eventually a "game" is a "file" Launchbox with Clock and QuickBar What do you think about to add a "quick bar" for access other apps than games/movies/music? For example Control Panel, a Browser or maybe dosbox with out a game

I added an "Applications" custom filter to do something similar. It only has Chrome right now, but I plan on adding more applications very soon. It works well for me, this way... I'm just going to move most of the application installs into the LaunchBox file structure to make them portable. Applications-Screenshot.png

@LMagnus87, the quick bar isn't a bad idea, but ultimately I'd like to add a more flexible interface for applications at some point. Sooner or later I will probably be adding functionality for other types of media, including applications. New beta is out that addresses a number of bugs and makes some important improvements: - Improvement: Added some additional safety checks to help prevent cases of XML file corruption - Improvement: Editing and removing games is now pretty much instantaneous regardless of how large your collection is - Fixed: When populating games with large collections LaunchBox would sometimes behave like it wasn't responding - Fixed: Right-clicking in list view wasn't properly updating the selection - Fixed: The favorite button in the game details wasn't working I'd like to put out another new official release sooner rather than later to get these out there, as some of them are a pretty big deal. I'm thinking I'll probably put out the official some time this weekend.