LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Alright, I've been killing myself trying to resolve this bug, so big win tonight. I was getting nasty crashes occasionally when starting and exiting games; turns out it was related to the new AutoHotkey implementation. No one had reported it, so not sure if anyone else was seeing the crashes, but it sure was driving me nuts. Let me know if anyone sees any crashes in Big Box or LaunchBox with this latest beta. Now I think I can *finally* get back to this list view... ;)

Jason Carr said Alright, I've been killing myself trying to resolve this bug, so big win tonight. I was getting nasty crashes occasionally when starting and exiting games; turns out it was related to the new AutoHotkey implementation. No one had reported it, so not sure if anyone else was seeing the crashes, but it sure was driving me nuts. Let me know if anyone sees any crashes in Big Box or LaunchBox with this latest beta. Now I think I can *finally* get back to this list view... ;)
So far I haven't seen any crashes. Do you have ads in this site Jason? I use uBlock and if you are using any kind of ads let me know to whitelist the site to support it. Also, have you been aware of the number of new forum members lately? It has grown a lot, maybe its time to fix the Wiki, let me know if I can help with that.

Nope, no ads! LaunchBox gets a lot of traffic, but not really enough traffic to make any kind of significant money off of ads. At least not near enough to make it worth annoying everyone. Plus, I hate ads, so... And yup, it's awesome. The community is constantly growing. We get between 50 and 100 new LaunchBox users every day. :)

Hi Jason. A small issue I've noticed in betas 9, 10, 11 using my mouse. In LaunchBox mode when I click the information icon for a game's boxart image, the details box pops up but closes as soon as the mouse is nudged. Re-clicking on the icon pops up the box again and this time it stays put as it's supposed to do. Moving to a different game's boxart and clicking it's information icon gives the same issue. And now for some nice news. As I mentioned in a previous post, exiting BigBox to Desktop mode wasn't working for me. This affected a few betas but you have solved it in beta 11. Many thanks.

Hehehehe. New beta is out. I built my shiny new game cabinet over the weekend, so the focus for the last couple days has been on perfecting the game cabinet experience (in between games, of course). Added keyboard mapping options, volume adjustments with keyboard and controller mapping, an option to sort and star favorite games at the top of the games lists, fixed the sounds to only play if something actually happens (as opposed to as long as the key or button is held down), fixed audio stability issues, and fixed more remaining issues returning to Big Box after exiting out of games. Good find @scree on that mouse issue; I'll investigate. :)

General question for people trying out the betas: Since Launchbox is portable, do you install each new beta to new folders? I want to do this so as not to possibly mess up my main install (after a load of setup work it's just about perfect!), but wonder if there's anything I should keep in mind. Thanks!

Hi @shock66, it is generally a good idea to use a separate install, but I get the impression that most people don't bother, which isn't usually a problem. It's just a good idea to have a backup of your LaunchBox folder available, just in case, at all times. In my case, I use Dropbox which pretty much solves any potential risks. For what it's worth, I use all the betas for my own personal collection, and I've yet to have to restore anything, but I also have a backup ready at all times.

shock66 said General question for people trying out the betas: Since Launchbox is portable, do you install each new beta to new folders? I want to do this so as not to possibly mess up my main install (after a load of setup work it's just about perfect!), but wonder if there's anything I should keep in mind. Thanks!
I have two installations: C:\Launchbox -> this is what I use for playing games. This installation rarely gets updated, or changed at all. C:\Launchbox2 -> constantly tinkering with, trying new things like using LB to sort eBooks, Audio-books by launching VLC as an emulator with a playlist file as the ROM, weird stuff like that... This installation is constantly getting messed around with.

Jason Carr said Hehehehe. New beta is out. I built my shiny new game cabinet over the weekend, so the focus for the last couple days has been on perfecting the game cabinet experience (in between games, of course). Added keyboard mapping options, volume adjustments with keyboard and controller mapping, an option to sort and star favorite games at the top of the games lists, fixed the sounds to only play if something actually happens (as opposed to as long as the key or button is held down), fixed audio stability issues, and fixed more remaining issues returning to Big Box after exiting out of games. Good find @scree on that mouse issue; I'll investigate. :)
Very nice, liking the favorite changes. Now if you'll just add that controller button bind for favoriting games;p.

New beta is finally out with the list view. It's not perfect quite yet; in particular, I know that the scroll position and sorting is not properly saved when the grid is refreshed, and there are various features in the LaunchBox interface that only apply to the images view that need to be disabled for the list view. Also in this beta is a fix for the delays in launching games for large libraries.

Jason Carr said New beta is finally out with the list view. It's not perfect quite yet; in particular, I know that the scroll position and sorting is not properly saved when the grid is refreshed, and there are various features in the LaunchBox interface that only apply to the images view that need to be disabled for the list view. Also in this beta is a fix for the delays in launching games for large libraries.
I love the list view. But i have 3 suggestions to make this mode perfect. 1 - Live editing on the list. 2 - When this mode is selected, in the detail pane, put the front box or steam banner image on top of the details. 3 - A way to display steam (or game) banners on the list view. Like the Dolphin emulator does. But thanks a lot.

Hi Jason. I've been trying out the new List View feature. If I select List View, and then go back to Boxart View, The boxart always displays by Genre. In List View mode, launching games works ok when left clicked but the right-click menu is quite buggy; e.g. launches the wrong game, opens the wrong manual etc. It's early days yet and this will turn out to be a lovely feature. And now a few personal suggestions if I may. An option to hide unwanted fields. The ability to re-order fields in a left to right priority. Customising the style of the grid. I like OpenEmu's alternate bars format. Font and text colour customising.

I just tried out the new view, and I'm glad it's there :D Hopefully the ability to fill in fields just by double-clicking on them in List View will be added eventually? That will certainly make editing metadata much more efficient.
3 - A way to display steam (or game) banners on the list view. Like the Dolphin emulator does. But thanks a lot.
In regards to this, maybe a "Microbanner" image category could be generated? "Microbanners" would have to be some uniform size, but once designated could replace or precede the titles in the list? An option to "Prefer Microbanners to Titles" or "Use Microbanners with Titles" could be added. I am also experiencing the issue of sort order being changed to "Genre" when leaving List View. Also, if I right-click the top row in List View (I was trying to see if I could hide metadata fields) I received this error: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) at LaunchBox.Controls.ListGamesControl.grid_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Apologies Jason. The right-click menu doesn't appear to be buggy after all! I was moving the mouse over a game in List View and right-clicking to open the right-click menu and was having issues with launching the various options. However, if I move the mouse over a game and left click to highlight it, and then right-click to open the options menu, then it works just fine.