LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

AFaustini said
Jason Carr said New beta is finally out with the list view. It's not perfect quite yet; in particular, I know that the scroll position and sorting is not properly saved when the grid is refreshed, and there are various features in the LaunchBox interface that only apply to the images view that need to be disabled for the list view. Also in this beta is a fix for the delays in launching games for large libraries.
I love the list view. But i have 3 suggestions to make this mode perfect. 1 - Live editing on the list. 2 - When this mode is selected, in the detail pane, put the front box or steam banner image on top of the details. 3 - A way to display steam (or game) banners on the list view. Like the Dolphin emulator does. But thanks a lot.
Thanks much, @AFaustini. All good ideas we'll plan on, though they might not make it in this release.

scree said Hi Jason. I've been trying out the new List View feature. If I select List View, and then go back to Boxart View, The boxart always displays by Genre. In List View mode, launching games works ok when left clicked but the right-click menu is quite buggy; e.g. launches the wrong game, opens the wrong manual etc. It's early days yet and this will turn out to be a lovely feature. And now a few personal suggestions if I may. An option to hide unwanted fields. The ability to re-order fields in a left to right priority. Customising the style of the grid. I like OpenEmu's alternate bars format. Font and text colour customising.
Thanks @scree. I'm gonna focus on squashing the bugs first; I wasn't aware of that genre bug so thanks for that. I do plan on adding all of the features you mention too, hopefully soon, but again they might not make it into 4.3, depending on how quickly I can squash the bugs. I really need to get 4.3 out in the next week.

paulmichel21 said I would try it again but only premium content , and from Argentina will not let me work , so ... there are some other work you've done is amazing , I really like but I regret not being able to see all their possibilities.Laugh
Hi @paulmichel21, do you mean you are unable to purchase? Email me at jasondavidcarr at gmail dot com and I can help you out.

Nathan DiYorio said I just tried out the new view, and I'm glad it's there :D Hopefully the ability to fill in fields just by double-clicking on them in List View will be added eventually? That will certainly make editing metadata much more efficient.
3 - A way to display steam (or game) banners on the list view. Like the Dolphin emulator does. But thanks a lot.
In regards to this, maybe a "Microbanner" image category could be generated? "Microbanners" would have to be some uniform size, but once designated could replace or precede the titles in the list? An option to "Prefer Microbanners to Titles" or "Use Microbanners with Titles" could be added. I am also experiencing the issue of sort order being changed to "Genre" when leaving List View. Also, if I right-click the top row in List View (I was trying to see if I could hide metadata fields) I received this error: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index) at LaunchBox.Controls.ListGamesControl.grid_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Ah, I'll take a look at that bug as well, thanks. Edits are indeed coming, but it may be a bit yet. Not a bad idea on the microbanners. Or we could allow you to customize their maximum size and just use existing banners?

Alright, new beta is out. I'm hoping this will be the last beta before the 5.3 official (been a long time coming). We are feature-complete at this point for 5.3. I fixed all the above mentioned issues with the list view, etc. Fixed XBox One game controller support, the issues I introduced with ScummVM, and everything else that I know of that is significant. I also added the necessary data pieces to automatically populate the right game titles from the MAME ROM file names. This should work on the ROM imports, making them much cleaner (though we're still relying on TheGamesDB's selection of games). Thanks much everyone; I'd appreciate as much testing as possible on this one to prep for the final release.

Having a quick browse of the new beta and came across these two funnies. In LaunchBox Mode Boxart View if you scroll down through the boxarts for any platform (say midway down) and then select a different platform, the new platform will show it's boxart also midway down it's list instead of from the top as it used to do. Sometimes the boxart flyout box is not showing the Fav Edit Close icons. You can still click them by guessing where they should be! Returning to Boxart View from List View seems to cause this. Opening and closing the right sidebar seems to clear this up.

Yes Jason the boxart hover popup box it is. By the way, this issue can't be seen if the Game Details Sidebar is visible. With this closed, go to List View and then back to Boxart View and now open any game's boxart popup box. The 3 icons should be invisible. Now show the Game Details Sidebar and then reopen a popup box and the little icons are back.

Thanks @scree, I believe I finally have that bug figured out and fixed. New beta is out; it fixes some bugs, but also *significantly* improves editing performance for people with humongous libraries. I used a combination of multi-threading and file system watching to speed it up. I am a bit nervous about the stability of all those changes, so I might have to delay the official a few days so we can confirm that everything is working well, but it's a crucial improvement so I'm glad I got it in there. As always, testing is appreciated; let me know if you hit any bugs.

Jason Carr said New beta is out; it fixes some bugs, but also *significantly* improves editing performance for people with humongous libraries. I used a combination of multi-threading and file system watching to speed it upAs always, testing is appreciated; let me know if you hit any bugs.
This has been the best beta update by far. I have a library of somewhere in the 20,000's. Editing used to take over a minute to pop up for a single game. Now it takes just about a second.

Hi Jason. I don't use the right sidebar, prefer the popup, but I've just tested it out on the 5.3 official release and after clicking for a bit I got an error box. I'm not quite sure how, but I managed to get it twice. Hope this is of some help to you.