LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I agree, the flyers are very incomplete and often do not show much about the game, I prefer to use screenshots as the front image for arcade titles. I end up changing the folder that is in the platform setup to point the front images to snapshots, and have the flyers under fanart.

What if there was a list of preferred front images? So you set it up as a top 5 or w/e. 1. Front Box Art / Flyers 2. Screenshot 3. ... 4. ... Etc. When a game has Front Box Art and Flyers, then that is used, when a game doesn't have that, then it goes down the list until It finds an image. This would obviously work vice versa, so if you prefer Screenshots then that is used unless a game doesn't have it, then it uses the Front Box Art? Maybe not exactly like that, it would need to be more comprehensive, but then at the very least you get a solution for users who want to use alternate art, but also hopefully have less gaps in art. Thoughts?

SentaiBrad said What if there was a list of preferred front images? So you set it up as a top 5 or w/e. 1. Front Box Art / Flyers 2. Screenshot 3. ... 4. ... Etc. When a game has Front Box Art and Flyers, then that is used, when a game doesn't have that, then it goes down the list until It finds an image. This would obviously work vice versa, so if you prefer Screenshots then that is used unless a game doesn't have it, then it uses the Front Box Art? Maybe not exactly like that, it would need to be more comprehensive, but then at the very least you get a solution for users who want to use alternate art, but also hopefully have less gaps in art. Thoughts?
That would be fantastic! I would like that for all platforms, not just Arcade, as it would fill in many of the holes with missing box art with a screenshot. But I would like it to be a setting that can be changed per platform, so that my preferred setting for Arcade is not enforced for all other platforms, but can be set separately.

Hey all, I agree that that would be the best solution. Probably won't make it into the next version but I'll keep that in mind for long term. A ticket for it would be good if there isn't one already. I just put out another beta...planned on putting out the official today but got into development and decided I'd rather take my time and get 5.10 as stable as possible so that we can hunker down on the 6.0 release. Here's the changelog so far for 5.10: - Improvement: MAME metadata and import functionality has been greatly improved which should help to reduce gaps from the get-go. Also included a link to Antropus's Lightspeed MAME importer for users who need even more options. - Improvement: Spanish and French translations have been updated (including release notes in the Welcome dialog) - Improvement: Startup time has been reduced a bit by separating out the MAME metdata to a separate file - Improvement: VLC videos in LaunchBox and Big Box now loop and resume from pausing properly instead of starting over I fixed a bunch of translation issues today as well as the latter two items, and some obscure bugs that aren't really worth mentioning. Oh, and I added a VLC tab to the About dialog. Still plan to put 5.10 out this week.

SentaiBrad said What if there was a list of preferred front images? So you set it up as a top 5 or w/e. 1. Front Box Art / Flyers 2. Screenshot 3. ... 4. ... Etc. When a game has Front Box Art and Flyers, then that is used, when a game doesn't have that, then it goes down the list until It finds an image. This would obviously work vice versa, so if you prefer Screenshots then that is used unless a game doesn't have it, then it uses the Front Box Art? Maybe not exactly like that, it would need to be more comprehensive, but then at the very least you get a solution for users who want to use alternate art, but also hopefully have less gaps in art. Thoughts?
I really like this idea

I noticed an issue with editing some existing games that I have have in my collection. These games were scraped quite a while ago, and no information was found in the GameDB database, so the information came from Wikipedia. I have tried to edit these to see if there was any info in LaunchBox database, but when I click the red cross next to the Wikipedia ID number nothing happens at all (I expected this to remove the Wiki ID and allow me to rescrape) If I click on the Wiki link I get the following error: Wiki-Error.PNG All the games I have an issue with are in the Sega Model 2 platform, I have attached my topskatr game section from my LaunchBox.xml.

CADScott said I noticed an issue with editing some existing games that I have have in my collection. These games were scraped quite a while ago, and no information was found in the GameDB database, so the information came from Wikipedia. I have tried to edit these to see if there was any info in LaunchBox database, but when I click the red cross next to the Wikipedia ID number nothing happens at all (I expected this to remove the Wiki ID and allow me to rescrape) If I click on the Wiki link I get the following error: All the games I have an issue with are in the Sega Model 2 platform, I have attached my topskatr game section from my LaunchBox.xml.
My theory is that there are errors when dealing with games that existed at one point, and the pages no longer exist. There is a similar bug with LBGDB pages too because they were based on the GamesDB and sometimes games went away.

DOS76 said LaunchBox reports crash during update then a window saying LB is already running opens. Once you close LB and click OK the install finishes fine but still a minor inconvenience.
That happens once in a blue moon when Windows doesn't want to let go of the process for what ever reason, but it should automatically be let go. For example, my recent beta update went just fine in that regard. Is this the first one or has it happened a few times in a row?

Just updated another PC and had the same issue only difference was that I started the process from inside of BB and not LB but same result in the end. Also after that while scrolling through my N64 games in BB it just crashed out of nowhere.

CADScott said I noticed an issue with editing some existing games that I have have in my collection. These games were scraped quite a while ago, and no information was found in the GameDB database, so the information came from Wikipedia. I have tried to edit these to see if there was any info in LaunchBox database, but when I click the red cross next to the Wikipedia ID number nothing happens at all (I expected this to remove the Wiki ID and allow me to rescrape) If I click on the Wiki link I get the following error: Wiki-Error.PNG All the games I have an issue with are in the Sega Model 2 platform, I have attached my topskatr game section from my LaunchBox.xml.
I managed to fix the issue with some manual editing of the LaunchBox.xml file. I just had to remove the entire line for the Wikipedia ID, which then removed the bad link and caused no other issues. Thankfully I did not have too many to fix.

Thanks @CADScott, I'll look into that bug. @DOS76, are you having to manually close LaunchBox for updates? I guess I'm confused because the updater should automatically close LaunchBox/Big Box before running the setup. Are you running the setup manually or using the automatic process?

5.10-beta-4 is out; I've replaced the entire Controller AutoHotkey feature with my own custom implementation (basically just removed the AutoHotkey portion and I use my own controller code). This should hopefully resolve the AutoHotkey issues that still remain due to the crappy Microsoft controller drivers and the issues they cause with AutoHotkey. The custom AutoHotkey scripts are, of course, still available as they were; this only replaces the Controller AutoHotkey close, volume, and activate features. The Controller AutoHotkey stuff is now called Controller Automation. I'd really appreciate some significant testing with this because I don't want to have to revisit it after the 5.10 release. Also in this beta, I'm *hoping* that the Big Box crashes that have been showing up recently will be fixed. As far as I can tell, they have something to do with VLC. It's hard to test for since I only get the crashes if I leave Big Box running overnight. So time will tell if this is fixed. If you do get the crashes, I'd appreciate if you could let me know and also test with the Windows Media Player engine instead in Big Box to see if you get the crashes that way as well. Finally, the Spanish and French languages have been updated again thanks to @CliveBarker and @Wattoo. Thanks all!

@Jason, I have just spent half an hour trying out the new beta with dual controllers, and I have had no issues at all! I have tried nearly all my emulators, through BigBox and LaunchBox, exiting works fine and volume control with both controllers, not a single issue. Many thanks for this update, this has made my standalone BigBox machine even better! Only a little suggestion, the volume control is very fast to adjust when I use the shoulder buttons. Is it possible to slow it down, or require a unique button press for each volume step, rather than holding the button and having it go up and down automatically?