LaunchBox Community Forums

Translating LaunchBox

Jason Carr

Jason Carr said
Opaklopper said Hey @Jason I discovered some new translation errors where i was quite sure i couldn't make such a huge mistake. For example, "Launchbox is downloading..." was translated to "We are asking our Community... Would you like to vote now". So i checked the old files and and compared them to the updated ones and found out that there went something wrong with files that aren't used anymore. Like the voting stuff. vote.png So before i just edit it i wanted to let you know, maybe this helps you somehow.
Thanks @Opaklopper. I actually still haven't gone through and fixed stuff up yet, so I haven't made any changes to the translations yet. Was planning on hitting that up today, but if you found issues that need fixed, it would probably be better for you to fix them up and send over a new version, and then I can go from there. :)
@Opaklopper any word on this? My apologies for all the delays from my end and everything. However, I'm thinking it might be best to push the German translation off for the next official release instead of 6.3, mostly because I really need to get 6.3 out. I can put out a beta shortly after the release of 6.3 with the German translation re-enabled and then we can work through the issues. @CliveBarker I'll get the updated Spanish translation into a new beta today. Thanks much. :)

Jason Carr said @Opaklopper any word on this? My apologies for all the delays from my end and everything. However, I'm thinking it might be best to push the German translation off for the next official release instead of 6.3, mostly because I really need to get 6.3 out. I can put out a beta shortly after the release of 6.3 with the German translation re-enabled and then we can work through the issues.
@Jason Oh sorry i forgot to reply. Yesterday i made a ton of changes, i will do the rest now and in about 5-6 hours it should be done. But there will be some work for you to adjust the forms, i guess. I don't mind if the german language isn't in the official release. Just put it out if it's ready.

New beta is out with the updated Spanish translation. Thanks @CliveBarker. :) Here are the release notes to translate for 6.3: Many new features for Big Box including background videos, platform videos, and custom views and themes! Images have been restructured to include all the types from the LaunchBox Games Database Easily switch between viewing boxes, 3D boxes, carts, 3D carts, screenshots, and clear logos @AFaustini @Wattoo @cyanjiang Thanks all! :)

New files for PT-BR......... Translation of Release Notes: Várias novas funções para o Big Box, como vídeos de fundo, vídeos de plataforma, visualizações customizadas e temas! Imagens foram reestruturadas para incluir todos os tipos da LaunchBox Games Database Troca fácil entre visualizar caixas, caixas 3D, cartuchos, cartuchos 3D, capturas de tela e logotipos.

Ok i went through the whole files now and made alot of changes. Have fun with it @Jason , i heared you like to work on translation things Laugh EDIT: Can't upload it here, it's 0.1 MB too big Yell I'll send it to your Email.

Jason Carr said Many new features for Big Box including background videos, platform videos, and custom views and themes! Images have been restructured to include all the types from the LaunchBox Games Database Easily switch between viewing boxes, 3D boxes, carts, 3D carts, screenshots, and clear logos Thanks all! :)
Aquí están las nuevas características de la versión 6.3: ¡Muchas nuevas implementaciones para Big Box incluyendo videos de fondo, videos de plataformas, temas y vistas personalizadas! ¡Las imágenes han sido reestructuradas para incluír todos los tipos que se encuentran en la Base de Datos de Juegos de LaunchBox! ¡Cambia de manera sencilla entre vistas de cajas, cajas 3D, cartuchos, cartuchos 3D, capturas de pantalla y logotipos sin fondo!

@Jason Carr There are some untranslated things that should be translated since I remember doing them at the Options res file or the Strings res file But if you feel like leaving them like that it is ok since I know you are against the clock for the release, so don't worry! .iiiii.png

Thanks @CliveBarker and @AFaustini. I have everything updated and I'm putting out the final beta right now. Still planning on putting out the official release tomorrow morning. Clive, I chose not to translate the new image types for now. That way they map up correctly with the LaunchBox Games Database which doesn't yet have any translations. I know it's not ideal though, we can come back to it at a later date. :)

Jason Carr said Thanks @CliveBarker and @AFaustini. I have everything updated and I'm putting out the final beta right now. Still planning on putting out the official release tomorrow morning. Clive, I chose not to translate the new image types for now. That way they map up correctly with the LaunchBox Games Database which doesn't yet have any translations. I know it's not ideal though, we can come back to it at a later date. :)
Oh I understand, don't worry. I can start translating the website whenever you are ready.

Just to let you know that Italian translation is finished. Now, I hope in a few days, to revision it and check for errors. Fortunately another italian user has offered me some help, so I think we could do more with 2 heads and 4 eyes than mine alone. Now a question: in the last file I translated (Options.resx), three phrases begin with the verb "to toggle": probably these are 3 checkboxes, but in Italian it doesn't exist a verb like Toggle. So, my question is: toogle is used to indicate what? For example: Toggle Fullscreen means that if I check it, I'll go full screen? Toggle GameDetails means that if I check, Game Details are displayed? Sorry for my apparently stupid question, but I have to find the right verb to use and in Italian there are many options but in this case there seems that only "Attivare" (Activate) or similar verbs are useful. I hope to have explained me well in this case, just to get a very good translation. Thank you! Wink

dukeemu said Just to let you know that Italian translation is finished. Now, I hope in a few days, to revision it and check for errors. Fortunately another italian user has offered me some help, so I think we could do more with 2 heads and 4 eyes than mine alone. Now a question: in the last file I translated (Options.resx), three phrases begin with the verb "to toggle": probably these are 3 checkboxes, but in Italian it doesn't exist a verb like Toggle. So, my question is: toogle is used to indicate what? For example: Toggle Fullscreen means that if I check it, I'll go full screen? Toggle GameDetails means that if I check, Game Details are displayed? Sorry for my apparently stupid question, but I have to find the right verb to use and in Italian there are many options but in this case there seems that only "Attivare" (Activate) or similar verbs are useful. I hope to have explained me well in this case, just to get a very good translation. Thank you! Wink
Toggle could also be used as Switch if I am not wrong. In Spanish there are some words that fit like Cambiar. For example, if I am playing a game and a message pops up in the screen saying that: You can toggle crouch with the L-CTRL key, that means I can switch between a standing position to a crouching position and so on.

Ok, I know that Toggle means Switch and in Italian we use a verb like Cambiare (same as Cambiar in Spanish), but the problem is that almost unapplicable in this context in Italian Language (it sounds awful and doesn't make any sense...). So I was wondering for a more creative solution to translate it, but nothing comes to mind. I'll think about it more... Confused

dukeemu said Ok, I know that Toggle means Switch and in Italian we use a verb like Cambiare (same as Cambiar in Spanish), but the problem is that almost unapplicable in this context in Italian Language (it sounds awful and doesn't make any sense...). So I was wondering for a more creative solution to translate it, but nothing comes to mind. I'll think about it more... Confused
What about "attivare"? I think it could work in this context

dukeemu said Ok, I know that Toggle means Switch and in Italian we use a verb like Cambiare (same as Cambiar in Spanish), but the problem is that almost unapplicable in this context in Italian Language (it sounds awful and doesn't make any sense...). So I was wondering for a more creative solution to translate it, but nothing comes to mind. I'll think about it more... Confused
You could try search for some Italian programming forum and make a new topic with this question. This method has solved multiple issues with my Spanish translation when I encounter contextual problems.

Thanks @dukeemu, you can email me the translation when you're all done to jason@unbrokensoftware.com. Then I can get it integrated for testing. :) @Opaklopper, I finally re-integrated the latest German translation and fixed the placement issues for all the forms. It's hard for me to tell everything because I don't know German, but everything looks fine except for the fact that the titles for all the windows are set to Willkommen for some reason. I want to try and get the German translation here in the 6.4 release if we can, to be out in a couple of days. Any testing anyone can do with the German translation in the latest beta would be appreciated. :)

By the way, @CliveBarker, @AFaustini, @Wattoo, @cyanjiang, there's not a lot that's been changed/added for 6.4 translation-wise, but there's probably a thing or two. I took a quick look and my guess would be that these are the files that changed: OptionsForm.resx Strings.resx MainForm.resx There could be more but that's all I could find with a quick check. Also, here are the release notes: ROM files can now be deleted when deleting games Region information is now parsed from ROM file names Big Box now has an option to skip the game details screen Hoping to put out the release in the next few days if we can. Thanks guys. :)

@Jason Carr Los archivos ROM ahora pueden ser borrados cuando eliminas juegos de LaunchBox La información de la Región es ahora obtenida desde los nombres de los archivos ROM Big Box ahora tiene una opción para omitir la pantalla de detalles del juego Jason there is a strange issue I have noticed since I started translating. For some reason the string $this.AccessibleName LaunchBox Main Window located at the MainForm never gets translated or saved. I have translated that since the beggining but it keeps deleting the translation. Like if I translate it and save the changes, and proceed to close the MainForm and re-open it, the translation is completely gone. Never told you about this because it isn't very relevant but I would like to know the reason. @dukeemu I just checked my translations and I want to tell you that I used a "life hack" to solve the context issue with "Toggle". I had problems as well with that word in Spanish so I used this: "Activar/Desactivar". I think this perfectly fits the purpose of "Toggle" in my language and I haven't received any complains about that. I hope that helps you. Also there are a lot of English programming terms that haven't been adopted by many other languages so when I encounter this issue with Spanish I just use the original English word.